Best Torch for Light Painting Photography?

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
A Polarion PH50 w/ Diffusion Filter is what you are looking for. Go ahead and buy it :) .

A diffusion filter is what he used before and he didn't like that it ate up a lot of lumens. It needs to use non-exotic batteries too.

He needs a flood-only light that comes stock with FLOOD, ONLY. This doesn't mean that he can use any flashlight and just slip some diffusion film on it.

The elektrolumens wall of fire utilizing 4 P7 LEDs in one maglite is optimal in my opinion. It is made to be full flood and flood only.

I don't know much about the Wall of Fire mag though. I did take some interest in the 5 Cree mag that elektrolumens also makes. It is also pretty much full flood and costs $150. I don't know about their wall of fire p7 version.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
These lights with diffuser lens might be too powerful(and they cost quite a bit).

Something like this, this, or this without a reflector, with a diffuser, or with the right optic should work.

Though alkalines aren't the best choice for high powered flashlights, he still did mention that he wants the light to accept readily available batteries that he could fetch from a nearby store. Those dx lights are nice flood lights but only work on lithiums.

Notsure Fire

Enlightened
Good point.

Maybe a good modded mag that runs on normal batteries?

Yeah, the previously mentioned Elektrolumens Wall of Fire is a mag with 4 SSC P7's modded into it. Obviously it should be run on ni-mh's but, it is a mag, and a mag does take alkies.

AvPD

Enlightened
Looking over some old threads at DX via Google. Looks like he bought two of the MTE P7 models available at the time and presumably was satisfied (considering that he was using a 128-LED torch prior to this).

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
34.jpg

This photo is great.

Archie Cruz

Banned
I really enjoying the use of flashlights for photography. Have a look...

I've finished the first test shoot,using flashlights as sole illumination for a still-life table top of the new Jabra Stone.
4 lights were used:
- LED Lenser X21 - Main (High - Medium Wide) (4x D-cell Alk)
- Fenix TK40 - Front Accent(Level 3)
- Mac's Custom MAG-D - Rear Accent (Level 3 , medium focus)
- Fenix PD20 - Targeted Accent (Level 1)
----
Shoot Duration - 1 Hr.
All the lights held up very well with respect to output and only the X21 'seemed' to diminish towards the end of the shoot.
Comments: The Fenix TK40 was beam modulated with a DIY diffuser and hood
The Fenix PD20 was beam modulated with a paper snoot
The LED Lenser's X21 optics were output beam ameliorated with a Yellow and Salmon colored 'Sharpie' pens directly on the optics. A 2'X2' translicent plexi sheet was used to spread the X21 beam closer to a skylight effect.

CONCLUSIONS
- Multi-level lights are essential in controlling lighting for photography. Only the main can be a 'full High' output.
- Variable angle beams are very useful in controlling beam character in lighting.
- Rechargeable, AC powered are far more economical than primary Alkalines or Lithium cells

NEXT STEPS
- Video clip of the setup to follow at > http://www.vimeo.com/8774036
- Still final result to be featured at > GearNinja.com
- Forum discussion citations will appear as my staff prepares them. CPF, etc...

CREDITS:
Fenix Lights courtesy of fenixgear.com
LED Lenser X21 courtesy of CoastPortland.com
MAC's MAG courtesy of Chris MacClellan

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I really enjoying the use of flashlights for photography. Have a look...

I've finished the first test shoot,using flashlights as sole illumination for a still-life table top of the new Jabra Stone.
4 lights were used:
- LED Lenser X21 - Main (High - Medium Wide) (4x D-cell Alk)
- Fenix TK40 - Front Accent(Level 3)
- Mac's Custom MAG-D - Rear Accent (Level 3 , medium focus)
- Fenix PD20 - Targeted Accent (Level 1)
----
Shoot Duration - 1 Hr.
All the lights held up very well with respect to output and only the X21 'seemed' to diminish towards the end of the shoot.
Comments: The Fenix TK40 was beam modulated with a DIY diffuser and hood
The Fenix PD20 was beam modulated with a paper snoot
The LED Lenser's X21 optics were output beam ameliorated with a Yellow and Salmon colored 'Sharpie' pens directly on the optics. A 2'X2' translicent plexi sheet was used to spread the X21 beam closer to a skylight effect.

CONCLUSIONS
- Multi-level lights are essential in controlling lighting for photography. Only the main can be a 'full High' output.
- Variable angle beams are very useful in controlling beam character in lighting.
- Rechargeable, AC powered are far more economical than primary Alkalines or Lithium cells

NEXT STEPS
- Video clip of the setup to follow at > http://www.vimeo.com/8774036
- Still final result to be featured at > GearNinja.com
- Forum discussion citations will appear as my staff prepares them. CPF, etc...

CREDITS:
Fenix Lights courtesy of fenixgear.com
LED Lenser X21 courtesy of CoastPortland.com
MAC's MAG courtesy of Chris MacClellan

Nice, I'd love to hear more about them in how they compare on color rendition.

I'm doing the same song and dance as the OP as I'm trying to find the right light for painting with light. I haven't decided between something with a spot and spill or something that's mostly flood (I am thinking that I could get something like the Fenix and just toss a diffuser on it when I need even light).