Best white headlight bulb for car

NightShift

Enlightened
Before I started driving and HID lights were first being introduced into cars, i was counting on when it was time for me to get a new car, all or the majority of vehicles would be HID equipped, but now that it is that time I don't see it happening this time around.

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I would say don't get the sylvania sylverstars. I got them for my 4runner and boy was I dissapointed. They are a bit whiter then stock halogens (way yellower then HID) and a little bit brighter, definetely not worth the $50. I have the opti blue in my IS300 for the high beams (they are rated at 5000k) and let me tell you these bulbs kick ***. They are acutualy whiter then my stock HID's and hella bright. It's a 100W bulb, so that's probably why it's so bright. You gotta try these. The only draw back is that the bulb has a blue tint to it so when the lights are off the reflection makes the whole reflector blue. Other then that it's da bomb. When they are on you can't tell it's a halogen, there is no color shift as you look from the side, looks HID. Best part is that they are only $32 a pair. Much cheaper then PIAA and imho better too. You can get them here.

http://216.82.69.117/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=10&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=2&subcat=76

NightShift

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
highlandsun said:
Doesn't matter, there are decent aftermarket kits now, and the prices keep coming down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to consider the aftermarket kits, but since the position of the arc is so critical on the reflector, it's not always the best idea because the beam isn't the way it was designed to be and could be dangerous to other drivers.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW. really nice comparison test, it follows what I've been reading in a number of places that tinted bulbs, though they do change the color of the light to less yellow, they let out less light and your tests substantiate part of that.

bulldawg24

Newly Enlightened
GJW. really nice comparison test, it follows what I've been reading in a number of places that tinted bulbs, though they do change the color of the light to less yellow, they let out less light and your tests substantiate part of that.

Now that it's been 10 years, anybody had any new insights based on new technology? I'm looking to upgrade the headlight in my car.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Generally the Philips Xtreme Vision and GE Night Hawk Platinum or Night Hawk Xenon are the best halogen bulbs, but a helpful answer to your question depends on just what kind of car you're trying to upgrade. The fact does remain that bulbs with blue glass claiming to produce "whiter" light are to be avoided if you're trying to see better, and "HID kits" and "LED kits" are dangerous and unlawful to use.

robertkoa

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to pick up a pair of the Sylvania "Silverstar" bulbs, but I've got a question:

Are these lights too bright? In other words, imagine I'm coming around a corner and down a slight hill and I blast the guy coming up the hill - is he blinded by these things? Or are they directed in such a way that they are no more "dangerous" to oncoming drivers than a regular pair of headlights?

Just curious if anyone has been on the receiving end of these things....

I am researching for some slightly higher powered Halogens either lumens or wattage increase also if needed.

Any headlight improperly aimed or misused is too bright but the sad fact is any Halogen in the 60/55 eatt range is a subtle increase in brightness maybe 33% at most and probably more like 20% lumen increase or less.

I hope we can get some slightly higher wattage Halogens or different technology for a 1300 to 1500 lumen safely aimed low beam....high beams seem almost bright enough now IMO.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am researching for some slightly higher powered Halogens either lumens or wattage increase also if needed.
Beam focus is more important, and sometimes higher wattage results in a lowering of beam focus due to changes in the filament size.

Any headlight improperly aimed or misused is too bright
No. It might be too *glaring*, but not too bright.

but the sad fact is any Halogen in the 60/55 eatt range is a subtle increase in brightness maybe 33% at most and probably more like 20% lumen increase or less.
These numbers... where do you get them?

I hope we can get some slightly higher wattage Halogens or different technology for a 1300 to 1500 lumen safely aimed low beam....high beams seem almost bright enough now IMO.

Wattage isn't the issue. Lumens aren't the issue. Candela is. The bulbs themselves aren't necessarily the issue-- it's the design of the headlamp optics such that the most light can be collected from the filament source and directed into a good, usable, safe, effective beam. Install a too-bright bulb in an already crappy and glare-ridden headlamp design, and you just up the crappiness and glare.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, to be "proper"(and I think there might be a law too) your low beams are supposed to switch off when you flip on your highs. (We do own a Honda Accord that has seperate low/high beams and the low beams remain on with the highbeams. However every other make and model of car I've driven maintains the low beams be off even if they're not in the same bulb as the high beams.) I'm not sure what the actual reasoning behind this is, since whenever I have my brights on there are no other cars in sight... so what does it matter how much glare I make?

lol. i have the same accord,(is it 2013 model?), that keeps lows on when you turn high beams on, it does it in "flash" position, and in constant on position. not sure either why they did that, i had 2006 and 2009 accords, i can not remember if they did the same.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol. i have the same accord,(is it 2013 model?), that keeps lows on when you turn high beams on, it does it in "flash" position, and in constant on position. not sure either why they did that, i had 2006 and 2009 accords, i can not remember if they did the same.

Looking at the time of his post 11 years ago, I think that's no longer the case. I do see from time to time older GM trucks that have only their high beams on while in high.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is no single yes/no rule, and that's been the case for a very long time. In a system with separate low and high beam light sources, the low beams may, must, or may not remain lit with the high beams depending on the type of low beam light source and the photometric performance of the low and high beams.

4runnerguy

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner. I installed the Silver Star Ultras a couple years ago but I am looking for something a little bit whiter without the expense of going HID. The lenses on the 4runner are glass, not plastic but I have always been a little disappointed with their range and brightness. Any suggestions?

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner. I installed the Silver Star Ultras a couple years ago but I am looking for something a little bit whiter without the expense of going HID. The lenses on the 4runner are glass, not plastic but I have always been a little disappointed with their range and brightness. Any suggestions?

None. All blue bulbs are junk. Just say no. If you want bright headlights, go with these http://stоrе.candle...05.html.
Also consider a relayed harness for your headlights like this http://www.headlightservices.com/4runner3.html.

HID is never a good idea in a halogen assembly and it's also illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner. I installed the Silver Star Ultras a couple years ago but I am looking for something a little bit whiter

Don't. That would be going from bad (see here) to worse. All bulbs that have tinted glass and claim to produce "whiter" light are a scam. They produce much less light than a clear glass bulb, and the light they do produce is less useful to your eyes. Your headlamps are halogen -- they are not supposed to have a blue-white look.

without the expense of going HID.

HID is not an option. "HID kits" (and "LED bulbs") in halogen headlamps cannot work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. More info here.

Any suggestions?

Get these bulbs. They will significantly improve the range and brightness of your headlamps without creating problems or overtaxing your wiring. Also make sure your headlamps are aimed correctly.

Last edited: