Big Beam PAR46 lantern headlamp

Z

z_KE6CVH

Hello, I have been eying this Big Beam 1001 for doing some serious modification to. Here is the web site, they still make it: http://www.bigbeam.com/lantern_1001.html

My question is regarding the PAR46 lamp that comes with it. It is a dual filament that is capable of spot (high power) or flood (lower power). Sounds like a car headlamp except it takes a single 7.5v alkaline battery so is it a 6 volt halogen headlamp?.

I'm almost certainly going to want to put a different headlamp in it that runs off of 12.6vdc. Is PAR46 designation for a certain sized headlamp? If so, I'm thinking I can easily put an HID in the housing that is already there. I must be able to put a red lens over it also as I am on a blackout Forward Operating Base that does not allow white lights. What I need is the dimensions of a PAR46 headlamp so I can try to source a 12VDC version either HID or something else.

For the battery source I have lots of options. I was thinking to use either a LiFePO4 or a lesser power density UltraCap pack. Both options are desirable for the quick charge times. This light is only going to be used for brief periods of time and then put back on charge after walking outside. I know there are pretty cool HID flashlights on Ebay but it won't have the same apeal to me as something that is homebrewed. I do have a bunch of 3000F Maxwell Boostcaps that are coming in the mail that may very well fit in that box just fine along with regulator circuitry.

Best regards,

Mike

Latest posts