Big Light Prototype

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
This style housing is probably more effort than it's worth. A triple MC-E or P7 light will be smaller, brighter, easier to design and cheaper to machine. Sadly, I don't have a CAD or CAM file to share. I machined it manually and didn't develop it in a CAD program.

The design is pretty basic though, there is an internal bore almost the full depth of the housing that is just large enough to fit the maxFlex driver and a switch. The LEDs are mounted on an aluminum MCPCB that seats in a larger bore deep enough to accommodate the optics and sealing elements. There is an internal snap-ring groove machined to allow the fitment of the spiral retaining ring at the front of the light. The fins/grooves were done with a 3/32" grooving tool and the groove depth increases toward the back of the light to allow good heat distribution with minimal mass.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the depth perception with those amber LED's is amazing. Wonderfull build.:twothumbs

StevelKnievel

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a 13.2V 4Ah NiMH waterbottle pack left over from a NiteRider HID lamp. The pack is getting pretty old and I'll probably go with a 14.8V Lithium pack when it dies.