Big News for Australians - Launch of the Mark VI Eveready Dolphin

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have noticed Dolphin Mark V's being sold off cheap in your local supermarket, hardware store or Bunnings over the last year or so.

The reason has just become apparent - the Dolphin Mark VI has been launched.

Recognition of the Mark 6 is a squarer body, somewhat reminiscent of the Mark IV, and a black bezel. Otherwise, it's a restyle of the Mark V. Electrically, the big news is the change from a KPR113 to a "30% brigher Xenon" bulb, which I trust means 30% brighter than the KPR113.

The recently released "Dolphin Mini" (2D) and "Dolphin Micro" (2AA) have also acquired Xenon bulbs. An interesting feature of all these bulbs is their shape - they have the standard PR-style glass envelope, rather than the tubular style of the Magstar Xenon or the Pelican 3854L. They physically resemble the Magstar Krypton in shape.

I look forward to these bulbs being released separately; I would love to try them out against the LMSA401 and the SKPR823, the latter being the current OEM 4.8V titleholder.

(For the benefit of overseas readers, the Eveready Dolphin is a 4F lantern that is still Australia's best selling torch - by a big margin. And has been for longer than most of you have been alive. Its selling features are durability (it bounces if you drop it) , waterproof (it actually floats!), and a nice big 4" reflector.)

It's years since I've seen a torch advertised on TV, so for your enjoyment, here is the original, 45-second launch TV commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuAmV1Tf0OA
A lot of fun, and demonstrates all the selling points nicely. They must have had a ball making it.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this LC, I have seen the commercial but didn't notice the differences. As you say, this has been Aus best seller by a country mile for a long time. I wonder if it was designed here? I know the first two or three versions were, the designers were always proud to redesign an icon. There is also one at the The Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it was designed here?

I don't know, but this article tends to suggest so:
http://www.insideretailing.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=53&articleType=ArticleView&articleId=2078

Here is a widescreen 16:9 version of the ad:
http://www.duncans.tv/2008/dolphin-torch-in-toughness-test

I mentioned that "It's years since I've seen a torch advertised on TV" - the last time was probably also for a Dolphin - 20 years ago.

This ad from 1987 features the familiar Mark 2, and well, a dolphin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un3Mb1QR1Xc

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electrically, the big news is the change from a KPR113 to a "30% brigher Xenon" bulb, which I trust means 30% brighter than the KPR113.

The recently released "Dolphin Mini" (2D) and "Dolphin Micro" (2AA) have also acquired Xenon bulbs. An interesting feature of all these bulbs is their shape - they have the standard PR-style glass envelope, rather than the tubular style of the Magstar Xenon or the Pelican 3854L. They physically resemble the Magstar Krypton in shape.

I look forward to these bulbs being released separately; I would love to try them out against the LMSA401 and the SPKR823, the latter being the current OEM 4.8V titleholder.

I know nothing about these bulbs, can you give some examples of where they could be used? I have a couple of 2x C and D Maglites with 2x Li-ion cells in each....could any of the above bulbs be used in these lights?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. They are only 2.4 & 4.8V - so won't reach to 7.4V

But The Dolphin Rechargeable runs on a 6V,10W PR-based halogen bulb - the Philips HPR71.

That bulb is a match for the Pelican 3854L (the "RoP low") for voltages up to its flashpoint (see LL's test results) and if you have a lot of resistance in your light, will actually outperform it. Over 300 bulb lumens are achievable in your setup, by my calculations, and if you can believe manufacturer data, over 400!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
No - these are 2.4 and 4.8V bulbs only. And being Xenon, I'm not expecting them to tolerate too much overdrive.

But our Dolphin Rechargeable runs on a 6V, 10W halogen bulb, the Philips HPR71, which is a match for the Pelican 3854L (the "RoP low") at voltages up to its flashpoint, and if your torch has much circuit resistance, can actually outperform it. See LL's destructive test results - I put my HPR71 money where my mouth is.

In your setup, you can achieve over 300 bulb lumens, and if you can believe manufacturer's claims, over 400!

Glen C

Enlightened
LC, I think you must be the master of pushing that globe, will look forward to seeing your results. In Sydney we had the Mag truck ads about 5 yrs or so ago and recently Mag ads telling about their new Luxeons.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HPR71 is an impressive upgrade for the 7.4v-8.4v DIY lights. I'm using the HPR71 in my 2D Maglite with 6x2500mah AA VARTA Ni-Mh cells, a fivemega MOP reflector and KD's maglite glass lens upgrade.

The only downside is that the HPR71 costs $11.98 each from Bunnings!

Anyone know any cheaper sources?

Glen C

Enlightened
AC, I cant be sure but I am guessing Channel 10 in the sport section of the news, my memory was just so shocked to see torch ads. Not many but over 1-2 weeks it was quite obvious (compared to none for ten years :) )

Nubo

Enlightened
The HPR71 is an impressive upgrade for the 7.4v-8.4v DIY lights. I'm using the HPR71 in my 2D Maglite with 6x2500mah AA VARTA Ni-Mh cells, a fivemega MOP reflector and KD's maglite glass lens upgrade.

The only downside is that the HPR71 costs $11.98 each from Bunnings!

Anyone know any cheaper sources?

You can get a similar bulb, nominal 6v, 10W, halogen, from Reflectalite. They refer to it as GH24. Their current price is 4 pounds. That comes to about $6.54 Australian dollars, $7.98 US. You'll save the shipping on the first bulb.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of fact the Dolphin was one of the torches that kindled the flashaholic within me.

I've got one in the cupboard at home here.

Most people around here see them as pretty much the best torch they will ever buy.

I've seen them in many hospitals wards as emergency standby lights too :)

I don't think I will rush out and buy one but it's certainly good to hear :)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought my first Dolphin back in the 70's and upgraded the bulb after one day. I don't think there are many mid-life aged lumen craving chronics around these boards that haven't owned one or used one of these back in the day.
I'm looking forward to checking out the new model but I can't help thinking about what I could do with it if it had a good metal reflector.

DaveG

Enlightened
Good ad,I have a couple of those lights,one of mine has a fold down stand.So you can angle the beam,say to change a flat tire.Its bigger than the one that was in the older ad.Tough light for sure.

isc

Newly Enlightened
I quite like the ad to be honest, it's probably caused a few people to go 'hrmm.... I change the smoke detector batteries once a year... might not be a bad idea to upgrade that torch that's been sitting under the stairs/in the boot/ in the cupboard since the late 80s'

Most people around here see them as pretty much the best torch they will ever buy.

I lol'd in a big way just then... I remember thinking that when I saw my father's when I was about 4 or 5... it was, in hindsight, a very cheap looking orange plastic thing, but it was huuuuuge (to me...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un3Mb1QR1Xc

Not too far back, I had to go out to a bar which was having major issues due to a power outage... the manager was attempting to maintain order with a Dolphin... out came the 6PL, and pointed into a light fixture, lit the room up nicely. He wanted to know what the hell it was so he could buy one :D

And editted to add, I recall hearing a story of an old bloke who clobbered a drunken trespasser with one of these things, the young bloke was suitably convinced not to come back, and the torch was still quite functional.

Last edited:

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
Sounds cool. My grandfather had one when I was a kid. He had it for years and years and it had been dropped, kicked, hit, you name it - it still worked though.

Does anyone know what the output of these things will be? I had a quick look for a Dolphin website, but couldn't find much.

Haz

Enlightened
I fondly remember my first dolphin. I really treasured it, because the ad convinced me, that it was a tough and durable light. Indeed it is.
I would like to see them progress with an led in the near future, to make them even tougher, and with longer run time.

AvPD

Enlightened
There's a good collection of articles about the various Dolphins at the Powerhouse Museum.
It's sold in the US but not under the Dolphin name (Amazon). As it's an Australian design it probably doesn't get the promotion it does here.

I put a Terralux TLE-20 in mine but wish there was a cheaper reverse polarity PR bulb option with half-decent output than EverLED.

Last edited: