Biggest small knife.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might consider the Kershaw Scallion. It seems to be a nice "medium" size. Probably a little big for carrying loose in a pocket, but fine for clipping. And it's got that very cool assisted opening feature. Look for it at WalMart for $35.

Geoff

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Benchmade 94x series...one tough customer.

BM Ritter mini griptilian...although not as slim as the 940.

921 switchback

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot say enought about the Benchmade Mini griptillian IT is as solid of a knife that I have ever held and at a $55 price point. If you want something a bit bigger look at the Griptillian, which is just a bit more. That 440C steel is amazing in its own right.

83Venture

Enlightened
I have a Kershaw Scallion and it is a nice knife, carry it when not at work. At work I carry the SOG Twitch II Ti. It is slimmer than the Scallion and the clip is oriented the way I like it, also it is an "assisted opener". Nice dress knife.

fluorescent

Enlightened
William Henry Spectrum
Specs:
Blade Length: 3.625"
Overall Length: 8.25"
Weight: 2.5 oz.
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel, RC 59-60
Handle Materials: Bronze Anodized 6061 Aluminum Fittings: Comes With Clip Case Sheath
The Spectrum Folder from William Henry debuted at the 2002 Blade Show and received the prestigious American Made Knife of the Year manufacturing award. A mesmerizing combination of sculpted aluminum, picture frame window inlays, soft finishes, rich colors, and impeccable mechanism make this knife the most startling and innovative in the William Henry Collection.

The Spectrum features the MattLock system for full ambidextrous one hand operation, and also includes a "hidden thread" solid spine for symmetry and remarkable strength. Note the contrasts in textures and colors between the layered handle, recessed inlays, and dramatic fittings. Perhaps the most extraordinary knife available today - the first in a new generation of William Henry interframes that are raising expectations at the upper end of the cutlery industry.

Matt Conable - designer: "The Spectrum evolved over a period of six months - I'd work on the design for a few hours, walk away for a week, come back and do it again. The various levels of intricacy that make up the knife were refined countless times - I didn't have a model for this type of architecture, so I kept revising until it all worked. It is actually a complex knife that looks seamless and effortless - the best of all worlds."

bquinlan

Newly Enlightened
My vote goes to the amazing HideAway Knife. It's only 1/8" thick and can be hidden behind a playing card, but the unique grip allows you to apply your full strength to it. They are custom fitted, use a top-end steel (S30V), and are available in several different blade shapes. Whether you're looking for utility or defense, nothing else in this size range comes close.

Here's a picture of mine:

--Bob Q

indenial

Enlightened
I like that "HideAway"! Weird about knife laws. If you "hid away" that knife on your person, you'd be arrested for a felony in California. Other states less Draconian?

roguesoul

Newly Enlightened
Biggest Small Knife.

That title is almost the exact design philosophy of Spyderco. Before I owned any Spydies they all looked ugly to me but now they're my only choice. Anyway you should give them a look. A couple of recommendations would be; Salsa or Cricket both excellent knives.

Should also mention/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif the Dodo it's what I carry all the time. It looks unconventional but is dang useful.

bquinlan

Newly Enlightened
> If you "hid away" that knife on your person, you'd be arrested for a felony in
> California.

But you can always carry it openly. For a while I carried mine pinned to the inside of my vest using FrontSight's "stick sheath" arrangement, but mostly I just carry it visible on my belt. The thing is so small that most people never notice it. And the ones that do generally can't figure out what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob Q

Overload

Newly Enlightened
I own every knife mentioned above except the Kershaw Scallion and Hideaway. I agree with everyone except:
WH spectrum, I dont think the blade is that long. They're expensive unless you find a skeletonized version, which you can get for around $100.
Spyderco Dodo. While a great knife, it's a tiny blade for such a big handle. There are other Spydercos with better blade to handle.

The BM Ritters (both griptilian and mini-griptilian) have great blade size for their handle.

The BM 94X series is great, with my preference being the 941&943 with the clip point blade, instead of the 940&942 with the 'reverse tanto' which looks like a sheepfoot to me.

I would like to add the BM 530. This knife is SUPER slim, light, and has a long blade. But, it's so thin I wouldn't even think about using it to pry, or it might break (or at least it seems that way).

I should also mention that Im a lefty, and all the knives mentioned are lefty friendly, except the Kershaw Scallion, as a liner lock.

Overload in Colorado

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second on HA. Here is mine:

standard.jpg

Bill.H

Enlightened
Slim AND light, yet still formidable? Hmmmm..... lots of choices, I (or a friend I trust) can vouch for these: the Becker Necker, Camillus Arclite (AG Russell has a D2 version of it), CRKT Bear Claw, or the Emerson La Griffe.

Google can be your friend here, search on both "neck knife", and "boot knife".

Edited to add: I see you are in NY. Be warned that the Peoples States of CA, NY, MA, NJ (and possibly others) may choose to lock your a** up just because you have a knife that is easily concealed. If they find out you have it, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

glockman99

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kodiak said:
Any thoughts on a knife that is slim, light but formitable?

[/ QUOTE ]
3 good choices come to mind:

Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian
Spyderco FRN Delica
Camillus EDC

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my HIdeaway. I bought it for utility use, not defensive use. I like the fact that I can cut with it, and then, without putting the knife down, simply open my hands and work with both hands. And when I want to cut again, I just close my hand again, and there's that edge. When you're in the mode where you do a little cut, then move the material, then cut again, then move again, etc., the Hideaway is an awesome solution.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm having trouble understanding what you're looking for. It'd be a lot easier if you'd give a point of reference like, "the Spyderco Delica is too large or too small."

I'd rather answer your question than just give you my suggestions. But since I don't have a point of reference, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm relatively new to the knife scene and have bought knives that have been highly suggested on this forum, my newest being the mini grip.

I don't have a single one that I don't like, but a big point to me is what I'll actually carry because of size. It's the same principle as an EDC flashlight to me. I own over 50 lights and will always have quite a few near me, but I always have a small ARC AAA on me.

For that reason, I've settled on the SOG Flash I as the one that I carry. To me it offers the largest usable blade in the smallest and lightest form. I wouldn't call it formidable, but very practical to me.

I love my new mini grip, but I simply won't carry it in my pocket every day. But it'll be nearby in my Fat Boy with another knife or two and several flashlights.

2dim

Enlightened
I always carry a Spyderco Endura with the black serrated blade. Slim and light, it clips nicely in my front jeans pocket. Just in case, a detachable lanyard is looped onto my belt. Quick to open/close with one hand, too.

bquinlan

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a folder I have to second roguesoul's suggestion of the Spyderco Salsa. It's wide, but very thin. The design provided a "big tactical knife" grip in combination with a relatively short (2.4") blade. It is a bit strange-looking, but once you've held it in your hand you will apprecite just how much you can do with it.

Also, if you're looking at fixed blades, but the HideAway is too expensive, my next choice would be the Spyderco SPOT. It's almost twice as large (about the same size as a La Griffe), but that still makes it a very compact knife. As with the Salsa, the SPOT has an exceptionally well-designed grip that allows it to perform like a much larger knife.

--Bob Q