Black Diamond Moonlight

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Marcus, thanks for all the information...I Emailed BlackDiamond yesterday with the burn-time questions, and asked what if any ic chips it uses...will keep you posted...don't let the bedbugs bite.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

late breaking newsflash, update Moonlight : after roughly ten minutes use
(de-fleaing my cat) the volts are 2.6 and the milliamps are 119...stayed tuned....
(don't worry, I didn't have to divide anything)
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
late breaking newsflash, update Moonlight : after roughly ten minutes use
(de-fleaing my cat) the volts are 2.6 and the milliamps are 119...stayed tuned....
(don't worry, I didn't have to divide anything)
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But will you be de-fleaing anything? Any update? Any reply to the email? Any reviews? From 4.5v to 2.6v in 10 minutes? If I understand you, That's scary. To my understanding... that's dead.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

no,I haven't gotten a reply from Black Diamond to date. I will resend my original query...and I will retest the voltage-- the Moonlight still seems as bright as at the beginnig -- why am I not catching these screwy results? (could it be that $6 meter I used?) Maybe I took the reading from the wrong place in the series? I vow to get to the bottom of this incongruity -- and to review results more carefully before posting - again; the light was still bright
(if not I)
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

marcus,
I took the batteries out of the Moonlight and measured them individually , at 1.46 each -- almost like new -- I'll leave to another rocket scientist to tell us why you can't take voltage readings in that circuit the same way I took the current reading...
Here's the REPLY FROM MOONLIGHT:
Hi Ted:
Our apologies for the not so prompt response. We just finished an ISO
Audit (which we passed succesfully) and our energies have been directed
inward the past couple of days.
The discharge curves of the LED with 3 AAA batteries has been tested and
tested to our satisfaction to provide the light quality we advertise.
If you have the capability to measure the initial current draw, you
should check at several intervals throughout the life of a set of
batteries.

There is a resistor (or more simply an "electronic element") in the
circuit which flattens the discharge curve.

We claim 70 hours, which is conservative and we feel that the brightness
after 70 hours is absolutely sufficient to perform basic camp chores or
even to see well enough to tie critical knots, although certainly not
well enough for difficult routefinding. Backpacker Mag has tested it to
over 140 hours although i have not seen their published article yet.
The reading thing is subjective---my nighttime vision is not very good
but other people can see just fine and read well after 100 plus hours.

I trust this will answer some or most of your questions. If you have any
other questions please ask and I will see what I can find out. However
please note that some information regarding these borders on proprietary
and may not be willingly shared.
Thanks again for writing and again our apologies for the late
response.
Regards,
-Jeff
BD Customer Service.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I'll leave to another rocket scientist to tell us why you can't take voltage readings in that circuit the same way I took the current reading...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying you used the same setup to meausre the current and the voltage? You probably know it, and I'm probably misunderstanding your post, but just to make sure: you connect the meter accross the element (in parallel) to measure a voltage drop, and connect the meter in series to measure the current through it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

right. I was just waxing poetic..I did remove the batteries to measure them, they were good as new after ten minutes..

(just wondered why I got such a low volt reading measuring the series volts, with the switch on, btw? possibly the 'electronic element' Black Diamond customer service speaks of in their email, quoted above? )