Enlightened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THDZfmjJl3M

Nice cave in Southern KY.
Packed along:
  • Fire-Foxes FF4
  • Barn Burner
  • Henlin SL-3570
  • Homemade 100W

This seems to be my standard pack-out. The FF4 does great for medium sizes spaces and the other three lights are usually bright enough to light up the bigger spaces. Only spent 5 hours underground. This cave also has a sump, which means you don't want to be in if there's a chance for rain.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were you in this video?

Interesting, I am in ne Ohio. . So, Kentucky is in reach. . Any free, good cave recommendations for ohio, PA, MI, KY, IN, NY? . Or cheap.

Interesting that not more predators living in these. . I would expect caves to be the shelter of tons of spiders, owls, coyotes, etc. , competing for heat.

stollman

Enlightened
If you are interested in caving, I would contact a local caving club. Most bigger towns have them. You can visit caves.org to find a caving club.

I live in Ohio, and typically go to KY, IN and sometimes TN (long drive). Caves in IN are typically smaller than KY.

In caves, I have seen Cave Crickets (most common critter), salamanders, albino crayfish and small bats. Not many spiders. I did see a rat once or twice, which tend to make a nest close to the entrance. No Owls, Coyotes or snakes.

Were you in this video?

Interesting, I am in ne Ohio. . So, Kentucky is in reach. . Any free, good cave recommendations for ohio, PA, MI, KY, IN, NY? . Or cheap.

Interesting that not more predators living in these. . I would expect caves to be the shelter of tons of spiders, owls, coyotes, etc. , competing for heat.

parametrek

Enlightened
Wow!

A strange question, but the guy in front of you seems to have a contraption made from two bleach bottles slung over their shoulder. What is that? A DIY float or hard case?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in ne Ohio. .

I live in Ohio,

From W. PA, currently squating in SE FL. Greetings, my people. We are as one.

Just north of Nelson Ledges Quarry Park (don't go there), is Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park. Wandering through the woods there I re-discovered (it is well known) the most bizaare geology I have ever seen first-hand, up close. Maybe there are caves, idk. But what there is, hidden in a normal forest for the area, is a long thin crevass... stretches for a long ways, maybe hundreds of yards or more, and parts are only a couple feet wide, and 20 to 40 ft deep. It is very strange, and I will never forget it. Check it out if it is not too far for you. Expect the unexpected on a normal woods trail, and don't fall in... but carefully crawl down if you dare.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing the video, I enjoyed it. I have never been caving yet, but have a friend who does it often. Caving should definitely produce a flashaholic if they aren't before they started! :candle:

stollman

Enlightened
Cavers typically are very creative in managing their money on the sport. Yes, the guy has modified two bleach bottles to make a carrying pack. He also uses a bungy cord to hold the thing together. It works pretty well carrying stuff. It is reasonably durable, cheap and easy to clean up (being plastic).

Wow!

A strange question, but the guy in front of you seems to have a contraption made from two bleach bottles slung over their shoulder. What is that? A DIY float or hard case?