Blue LED or blue tube light on bicycle downtube question.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Just curious if having a blue downtube is legal? I'm in Canada here and I've got a Dinotte tail light which I love on strobe mode. I made a DIY cube light with a DX regulator that strobes as well which gives me an ambulance effect but I'd like to know if I can put a blue downtube on the bike?

IIRC the front light options are yellow/amber/orange/white only and the back tail lighting is red/red-orange for strobe or steady lighting settings in Canada that is (Toronto speficially). AFAIK you can use any color on the downtube as I recall seeing something on the TV a few times of the L.A Midnight Riderzzz on some show called 'G Word' a while ago where some of them had multi colored downtube lights on thier bikes of different colors or single color and the typical white front and red back lighting.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Have you looked up Ontario Motor Vehicle lighting specifications wrt ue of blue lights?

For example, bikes in Indiana have to follow lighting color codes for motor vehicles and blus is reserved for emergency vehicles only regardless of placement.

Green has no restrictions.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
http://www.frommybottomstep.com/2010/07/18/bicycles-on-the-roadrules-and-myths/

According to this site and just a general rule red & blue lighting -up front- is not allowed. It says nothing about the sides or underbelly of the car/bike. :confused::thinking: That seems to be a grey area not covered by the books from what I see right now. I have seen blue under body lighting on cars and other different under body coloring on cars.

BrianMc

Enlightened
House Bill 1208 introduced changes in the blue light law for volunteer firefighters. On March 27, 2002, Governor Frank O'Bannon signed the bill and it became effective on that date. Listed below are the modifications and additions made to the law.

"(f) A person who is not a member of a volunteer fire department, a certified emergency medical technician, a certified emergency medical service driver, or a certified emergency medical service first responder may not display an illuminated blue light on a vehicle.

The exact positions and power for proper licensed use of emergency blue are also specified. So this would appear to make any location by non emergency personel and any location not approved on emergency vehicles (dash, roof, front of vehicle), illegal.

Vehicle law applies to bicycles except where specifically exempted (one headlight, one tailight, no signal lights, 4-ways, parking lights required etc.)

The illegality of blue lights is no Myth in some jurisdictions. A search of your state or province vehicle lighting rules on their use is a good idea before spending a lot of effort. A frequent use of blue under-chassis lighting on cars in your jurisdiction would be a good indicator it is legal or at least not enforced.

There is law and then the enforcement of same. Technically, in Indiana, a flashing red light is not allowed except as a 4 way flasher or turn signal light and only on the back end of the vehicle, and for emergency vehicle use. Yet I run two blinkies in a frenetic flashing pattern to the back and one each fron the seat stays sideways, and have been told they look a bit like an emergency vehicle. Numerous law enforcement officers have passed me without complaining about this. Safety trumps an oversight in law. Being seen may be the trump card for blue downtube lighting too. Surely officers have something more important for public saftey to enforce? I suspect it would be lauged out of court, too unless thaty were hard up for traffic violation money to help the coffers.