Boro Glass Lenses are finally here!

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I finally got them in. They are 51mm D x 5mm T. I put one on an unmodded C Mag and it actually fits. Now there will be a gap on the bezel, but it fit ok. I will still machine the head to make the bezel fit right, though.
I put together the Maglite head dry, no silicone or glue. I did put some teflon tape on the bezel threads, though. I don't have pics of that, but here are some pics of the lenses. I do wish I would have ordered them 52 or may be 53mm, but so far it's working. I put in the pressure pot at 116 (265') initial pressure and psi dropped to 114 so far. Ususally this happens due to temperature so I'm not worried.

Thickness.jpg

PSITest.jpg

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
50.94mm so almost 51mm. does the lens sit on top of the head or does it fit just inside and rest on the little edge about 2mm below the top edge of the head?

If it slips inside the head, that would mean there is about 2-3mm of glass above the top of head, similar to a standard maglite lens. In that case, I suppose the trick with the slightly thicker o-rings should do the sealing pretty well.

Why the teflon tape? are you using that to use the threads as a seal? I thought the o-rings would do the sealing.

Question is maybe if the o-ring that is normally on top of the lens can still properly seal if the diameter is not the same as the original lens.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
50.94mm so almost 51mm. does the lens sit on top of the head or does it fit just inside and rest on the little edge about 2mm below the top edge of the head?

If it slips inside the head, that would mean there is about 2-3mm of glass above the top of head, similar to a standard maglite lens. In that case, I suppose the trick with the slightly thicker o-rings should do the sealing pretty well.

Why the teflon tape? are you using that to use the threads as a seal? I thought the o-rings would do the sealing.

Question is maybe if the o-ring that is normally on top of the lens can still properly seal if the diameter is not the same as the original lens.

Ok so after 12 hours the light is dry. I used the Teflon tape a cushion from metal to glass contact. Don't know that I really needed, though. The lens fits on top of the head not inside it. I t is about .5mm smaller than the original. Works great so far!
Cost will be $9.50 plus shipping.
Thanks

arek98

Enlightened
This is a part number 8477K22 from McMaster "glass rods and disks", right? (you need to run search, I don't know how to link directly to an item).
They also have other sizes and thicknesses, nothing closer to Mag though.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have these custom made . They are not from mcmaster Carr (those are 4.75mm). Im sure you'll pay a sweet shipping price with mcmaster though. Will be testing d Mag today by I don't see why they would not work!
Thanks

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
D mag is in the pressure pot and it's looking good. Trying it out without any thread sealers. Just the orings.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some more information on my 5mm boro lenses:
Comparison between mag that has been put on a lathe to remove 2mm of threads vs stock mag. It actually fits OK without machining! I tested them both in the pressure pot and both no leaks. I actually think I could get a 7-8mm lens in there with some really fine machining... The D is machined the C is not...
DSC00957.jpg

2mm removed:
DSC00956.jpg

Hey look it's my custom tailcap with the oring inside! I found a 119 oring that fits my tail cap. It will not fit a stock C tail cap, though, I am still looking for that. My guess it's metric. Pic also shows a C unmodded head with 1.7mm gap.

DSC00955.jpg

The kit- 2 head orings, a tail cap oring and a custom cut boro lens (Not from Mcmaster Carr).

DSC00954.jpg

I have many of these if anyone wants some.

Thanks

Latest posts