Brainstorming for a NON ELECTRICAL Flashlight

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new here guys.

Old carbide lamp.

scaled.php

Norm

Bah, don't take away all our fun! You may as well say that there's no room for innovation and enjoyment of non-wiring-up-another-LED-in-a-tube projects!

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've just emailed a company enquiring about a new carbide lamp, I had one as a kid, no idea what happened to it.

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
Darn CPF, I ordered this yesterday after researching for the picture above.

scaled.php

Where will it end :devil:

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
No Simon, I think up until the other day I hadn't ordered anything this year, I fell off the wagon this week ordered EagleTac D25A Ti and the brass carbide lamp plus 250gms of Calcium Carbide.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Great Glenn, let's hope it is as nice as the picture looks.

Norm

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did ask if they where refurbished and was everything there that we need to make them work, and the reply was they are brand new - yay!
Hmmm there's going to be two grown men walking around at midnight thinking we're Sherlock homes, or we're ready for Armageddon.....

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've still got carbide lamps around from my caving days, along with the replacement gaskets and tip cleaners. Glad to see they're still available new.

The tip is a little press-in brass piece with a ceramic center that has a pinhole opening where the acetylene comes out. If there's too much pressure behind it the whole tip pops out -- that's an important safety feature, as noted above.

The water drips by gravity quite slowly, a drop every few seconds, with a backflow pressure preventer so the gas generated can't bubble out through the water tank.
Use the carbide lumps, not finely ground powdered carbide "Bangsite" toy cannon type.

Gas keeps coming out for quite a while after the water valve is turned off (or you get yourself upside down in a tight cave passage and it quits dripping) -- a safety feature and a caution.

The powder left behind is caustic; carry ziplock bags or something to put it in.

Every welding shop has on its wall one or more pictures of a truck or car with all the windows blown out -- along with a warning never to transport acetylene in an enclosed space because it _will_ explode spontaneously at some fuel/air concentrations. That's not a problem with a carbide lamp, the acetylene pushes the air out of the tank immediately on first wetting the carbide.

I've seen pictures of more advanced acetylene lamps that use two openings pointed forward and slightly toward each other -- so when the flame gets small enough it goes out. With a single opening, a flame will get smaller and smaller as the carbide fuel reacts away and eventually soot will plug up the opening. So always carry a little wire brush (and spare tips).

Do not try messing with one of these by adding compressed air or oxygen, you will blow it up.

Here's one supplier: http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lights...ide_Table_Lamps___carbidetable#10719701086660
haven't bought this stuff from them but it looks right.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Received my lamp today, unfortunately showing some damage. I'm still waiting to have the matter resolved.

Overall looks well made, larger than I expected, I haven't tried it yet until I hear from the retailer, I'd rather return it unused if it is to be exchanged.

lamp2q.jpg
lamp3a.jpg

lamp4.jpg
scaled.php

The last photo shows the damage which definitely didn't occur during transport, the light was extremely well packaged.

Just heard back from the retailer the light will be replaced :)

Norm

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
"A mixture of acetylene and air becomes thus explosive (will explode if a light is applied to it) when only 3.35 per cent. of the mixture is acetylene .... while, on the contrary, if air is added to acetylene, the mixture becomes explosive as soon as the acetylene has fallen to 52.3 per cent. Hence the immense importance of taking precautions to avoid, on the one hand, the escape of acetylene into the air of a room, and, on the other hand, the admixture of air with the acetylene in any vessel containing it or any pipe through which it passes.

The danger is, however, materially increased, especially with acetylene installations for illuminating purposes, as they are generally delivered under the most impressive assurances that there can be no danger whatever, and under that impression the apparatus is left, for daily manipulation, in the hands of persons who are entirely ignorant of the dangerous nature of the gas and the construction of the apparatus, and being more or less used to the easy handling of the ordinary gas, cannot or will not understand restrictions, but in case of the apparatus getting out of order, in their own self-confidence, and with the best intentions, take steps to put it in order, which may have serious results.

It is easy to forget that by placing the acetylene apparatus in the house a more or less dangerous result may always be expected, so also by careless and unskilled manipulation of the plant, or by natural wear and tear, or by corrosion or rust, which scarcely can be avoided, or by using inferior material in order to lower cost of production, all of which will sooner or later produce leakage, and cause an explosion ..."
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/metal/Welding-Cutting/Chapter-IX-Acetylene-Welding-Accidents.html

Kind of reminds me of lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, in a way.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to see yours copped a dropping Norm - got mine Tuesday and works like a gem, the family thinks its cool.
The carbide that I got is the big chunk type, at first I thought it was weird as I've seen on the net people using granules but after thinking and using some the big bits I think they are better as they will last longer as they are very compacted and will take longer to desolve. Stinky stuff tho.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Great Glenn, you received the last of that model (new stock in four weeks) I could have waited for the new replacement but instead chose to go with a model that is 40mm shorter plus a large pack of calcium carbide as compensation for the slightly smaller lamp.

Acetalyne is stinky stuff :)

Norm

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just brainstorming, not too practical but...
how about a reflector setup like the carbide lamp that burns a clockwork fed coil of Magnesium ribbon?
Lots more trouble of course but it would be bright... (a flow of gas might be needed as well to keep ash off the reflector).

aaahhh, I see that smokelaw1 covered this already.

Last edited: