Broken Trustfirei

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I would not suggest the Romisen product, sorry spc smith. Huge amount of lumen and really good throw, can't tell the difference between it and my Fenix TK35 but I bet money my Fenix will be around much longer. I already know of one Romisen RC-T602 failure. One out of three I ordered for some co-workers and I.

In fareness though, he might have dropped his battery in backwards and toasted it, so not really the lights fault. But where is the battery reversal protection?

Same a few bucks and get something with a better rep. Look around here and you will find many brands which are very well built but will not cost you an arm and a leg. I know the budget route is tempting, but there is usually a reason they are budget.

I've had my Romisen I3 for years (around 4-5 years) and I never had a problem with it. I also have the RC-T602 and I'm not having any problems with that either.

I'm not sure if it does have the reverse bat protection but ultimately, it just takes a bit of common sense not to drop your battery in the wrong way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spc smith

Enlightened
Loquutis79,

Your right though about one thing, not to recommend product that you of yourself have not tested out or used. I quite like my klarus XT11. But one thing else loquutis79, there ARE some good quality budget lights out there. One that I've recently ordered is the DRY 3XML. For $65 USD its a steal, hopefully I don't burn out the leds on this one though! It's quite whit brighter than my XT11... But then again, its one whole notha animal and species of light!

SPC smith

loquutis79

Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, the Romisen I have is fine so far, and I do like it a lot. Tons of throw for $30. All I mean to say is you have to watch what you buy, is all. Like I did say, there is a good chance he dropped the battery in backwards. Then it's no fault of the torch

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
Update! I bought new batteries and the flashlight works now. I bought protected ultra fire batteries. Why did the stock batteries just fail? Is that common?

fyrstormer

Banned
What kind of batteries did you use originally? If they were single-use lithium batteries, they will always stop working suddenly; that's just how single-use lithium batteries are.

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
No, there were the Trustfire rechargeables that came with the flashlight.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Ah. I think TrustFire uses parts that weren't good enough to be put into UltraFire products.
:crackup: Oh how I love irony.

But more seriously, batteries are the one thing that I tend not skimp on. I am pretty damn cheap and own a 13 dollar ultrafire myself, but I would never trust those batteries. I suggest that you invest in some AW Li-Ions and more importantly invest in a good charger. And spend a fair amount of time reading about Li-Ion batteries in the battery subsection. Those batteries can go wrong in a big way and it's better to be safe than sorry. But, hopefully that fixes your light for you. +1 on finding a good budget light you are satisfied with.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Update! I bought new batteries and the flashlight works now. I bought protected ultra fire batteries. Why did the stock batteries just fail? Is that common?

You cant just assume a battery failure, just because you swapped them and that fixed it. Theres the possibility of under-designed springs in the light that annealed under load. I had this happen recently in my TR-J12, it draws 27W at 8.4V and after a 7-8 minute run the springs annealed and the light became inoperative. Switching cells to protected cells, a slightly longer brand, or adding magnets would have "fixed" the problem, but only because the cell stackup is slightly longer. The springs would have eventually annealed again and it would have become inoperative once again.

I had to add copper braid to the springs and relieve them of current flow.

Some trustfire cells are actually very good for the $$. Trustfire gray protected 2400mah and black label flames have a good track-record, maybe not here but on other forums.

Last edited:

Jono2323

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is "annealed" and how would I correct for same?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Use quality batteries. Charge them regularly.
It sounds to me that your 15-minute walk simply killed the batteries. If they weren't protected, you could kill the cell and it won't recharge.

Protected cells, like AW, Callies, Redilast, Eagletac, Orbtronic, Xtar, ... are some to use. I've used the 1st three brands and they've never failed me. "Anything"fire batteries are a risk.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to use 18650 batteries you need to get a DMM so that you can check them before and after charging.

For the most part you are getting a lot of bad advice in this thread :)

Did you try charging the original batteries that shut off after 15 minutes?

I'm glad your light is working. As you can see all the talk about crap lights is just that ...crap...since your light is now working. If your original batteries just shut off as they were supposed to do then all the talk about crap batteries is just that as well...crap :)