Buddy had his deep cycle boat battery explode

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Was using one of those autocrap overnight chargers... Went out the next day and boom.... Pieces parts from end to end in his garage. Lucky he had the hatch open or dont know what coulda happened. He just bought his boat used last spring. Battery that was in it. Its paired with another deep cycle in series to give 24v to his troller . But he unhooks them and charges each separately. Well after this boom ...just got 2 new 27 series batteries and an inboard 3 bank charger...
Any ideas why the big boom?!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes! Just a thought, but did he switch the positive and negative when hooking up the charger?

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mtbmurf,

Bummer...

One possible scenario is that a cell in the battery became imbalanced. When the charger was turned on that cell received enough of a charge to cause gassing. If a separator gets week or fails a spark can be present and that can ignite the gasses - and then boom.

Tom

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! I have heard about it, have a fellow worker tell of this happening when he was jump starting a car. Never seen pictures. Just WOW.

broadgage

Enlightened
I would suspect significant overcharging that produced enough hydrogen and oxygen to cause an explosion when ignited by a spark from a loose connection. This can happen if one cell in a 12 volt battery goes short circuit resulting in it becoming in effect a 10 volt battery.
This 10 volt battery would be about 12 volts on charge, so the charger continues to try and charge it to about 14 volts.

Jakefreese

Newly Enlightened
Over charging and getting hydrogen buildup. We had a bunch of siren batteries blowing up when we would test them on the battery. It would just about m make you blow out your shorts

eric1565

Newly Enlightened
huh, and people are always saying how unsafe lithium ion batteries are.... I didn't know lead could blow like that...

THanks
Eric

mellowhead

Enlightened
Lead-acid battery guy here...
I see exploded batteries come through the scrap in our warehouse nearly every week. There are a few factors that typically come into play:

Offgassing -
This is the fuel source for an explosion.
Batteries charged at a currents above 0.25C, as well as batteries over approximately 75% state of charge will expel hydrogen and oxygen gasses, due to electrolysis of the water in the electrolyte. Hydrogen is flammable and, particularly when combined in a ratio of 2:1 with O2 gas, the mixture is potentially explosive. Demonstration video here. (Notice the difference between hydrogen burning and a hydrogen-oxygen explosion?)

Age -
As a lead acid battery gets older, it becomes less efficient at recharging, and more of the charge energy is converted instead into heat and accelerated electrolysis. Obviously, this causes even more offgassing than in a younger battery. It also causes the battery to consume more water out of the electrolyte during charge, and so aging batteries will require more frequent top-ups with distilled water.

Ignition source -
ANY spark or open flame can potentially ignite the gasses from a battery. Always ensure that all wiring connections are tight, and free from corrosion.

Maintenance -
It's difficult to see because of the shadowing in the picture, but I'd say that there is a distinct possibility that the electrolyte levels had dropped down below the tops of the plates, exposing them to the air. This is a recipe for disaster because, as was mentioned in a previous post, you now have the possibility of open-air arcing between the plates INSIDE the battery.

SPARK + HYDROGEN + OXYGEN = BOOM!
Injuries can and do occur from lead-acid battery explosions. It's always prudent to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when charging lead-acid batteries - safety glasses at the very least!

Last edited:

Carsi

Newly Enlightened
My hands down choice for lead acid batteries is EXCIDE. They made the Die Hard for Sears. The have deep cycle cells. Doc

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My fave SLA setup is AGM (absorbed glass mat) tech batteries. I occasionally buy a case of 10 6v SLA0975 Power Patrol batts and use them EVERYWHERE. They are zero maintenance and very safe because they break an internal connection because of well... basically what this thread is about.

1. One of the internal cells died.
2. Charger was hooked with incorrect polarity.
3. Charger failure or incorrect charge rate was selected.
4. Improper maintenance.

Absorbed glass mat is my pick. Regular old "add distilled water" type of batteries are not good, IMHO.

Unfortunately, they are probably not suited for boating use. :(

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
There sure isn't a lot of liquid or acid debris or residue inside the battery area... perhaps this battery was dry, lacking sufficient acid/water inside the cells. It would have overheated and shorted, eventually swelling and blowing apart.

eff

Enlightened
Wow, I really thought the lead acid batteries were safe. Looks like it's not the case.
I wonder if thsi kind of thing can happen with a standard battery, while the car is running ?

mellowhead

Enlightened
I wonder if thsi kind of thing can happen with a standard battery, while the car is running ?

Yes, it can. But it's extremely rare for it to happen in a car, because car batteries don't usually tend to consume water. It more commonly occurs in applications where the battery has a 24/7 charge source for extended periods - like a boat or RV plugged in to shore power, or a back-up generator in a building.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Lead-acid battery guy here...
I see exploded batteries come through the scrap in our warehouse nearly every week. There are a few factors that typically come into play:

Offgassing -
This is the fuel source for an explosion.
Batteries charged at a currents above 0.25C, as well as batteries over approximately 75% state of charge will expel hydrogen and oxygen gasses, due to electrolysis of the water in the electrolyte. Hydrogen is flammable and, particularly when combined in a ratio of 2:1 with O2 gas, the mixture is potentially explosive. Demonstration video here. (Notice the difference between hydrogen burning and a hydrogen-oxygen explosion?)

Age -
As a lead acid battery gets older, it becomes less efficient at recharging, and more of the charge energy is converted instead into heat and accelerated electrolysis. Obviously, this causes even more offgassing than in a younger battery. It also causes the battery to consume more water out of the electrolyte during charge, and so aging batteries will require more frequent top-ups with distilled water.

Ignition source -
ANY spark or open flame can potentially ignite the gasses from a battery. Always ensure that all wiring connections are tight, and free from corrosion.

Maintenance -
It's difficult to see because of the shadowing in the picture, but I'd say that there is a distinct possibility that the electrolyte levels had dropped down below the tops of the plates, exposing them to the air. This is a recipe for disaster because, as was mentioned in a previous post, you now have the possibility of open-air arcing between the plates INSIDE the battery.

SPARK + HYDROGEN + OXYGEN = BOOM!
Injuries can and do occur from lead-acid battery explosions. It's always prudent to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when charging lead-acid batteries - safety glasses at the very least!

Just saw this thread. Awesome, informative post, thanks! I'm copying it into my permanent battery notes.