Budget 1x AAA Keychain Flashlight Suggestions

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Here are some outdoor shots of the iTP A3 [single and three stage] and the iTP A2

"Mag2D Vs. Maratac 9290 Vs. Maratac AA...Night Shots" (link)
[skip to the 3min 48sec mark]

"Beamshots newer AAA lights including penlights" (link)

"ITP A3 EOS and Maratac AAA, beamshot comparison to other AAA lights" (link)

I've had a hard time deciding between buying an iTP A3 single stage and an iTP A3 three stage.

Here are direct links to the high mode of those two:

iTP three stage (link)

iTP single stage (link)

Based on those shots, the high of the iTP single stage seems like it would be more pleasing to the eye. The center of the iTP three stage high looks in that photo to be a little too bright to the point of being a little harsh.

But I could be reading too much into that one shot; here's another outdoor beamshot of the iTP A3 three stage on high (link)

Last edited:

drb

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert but I have the E01 and so far use and like it alot!

Stainz

Enlightened
I ordered a pair of EO1's for $25 delivered - awaiting their arrival now. They are destined for Altoid tins! I still use the Inova X1's - and my S-F E1b - at night and in pocket carry. I also carry the E2DL or Olight M21 Warrior at times. That E1b is starting to show it's frequent use. I love the CR123A cells - but the AAA keychain sized light will be new to me, although my wife loves her Wally World $6 AAA keychain light.

Stainz

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the iTP EOS A3 (upgrade version) is looking to be the better option, just need to find the cheapest place shipped to the UK!

I'll still check out some more reviews on other suggestions, and await JK037's comments and comparisons with the DX lights. But at the moment, it looks like the iTP is worth the extra money.

Yep, i haven't forgotten about you, hopefully my new lights will arrive next week! If any of them outperform the iTP A3, I'll be seriously impressed :D

wicker_man

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks again for everybody's advice. I think I've pretty much decided to go for the ITP EOS A3 Upgrade, in Natural.

Where is the best place to buy from? (somewhere that ships to the UK)
Shiningbeam's eBay shop sells them for $24.25 inc. shipping, is this the best deal?

Warp

Enlightened
If goinggear ships to the UK (I'm pretty sure they do) I would take a look at them. Here is their add in the marketplace

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197775

This thread helped me along as well. Along with several other threads, of course.

I just ordered an iTP EOS A3 Upgrade in red to have as an option for my keychain. My Fenix P1D-Q5 is great, but kind of large at times.

mfm

Enlightened
Based on those shots, the high of the iTP single stage seems like it would be more pleasing to the eye. The center of the iTP three stage high looks in that photo to be a little too bright to the point of being a little harsh.
It's just sample variation or an unlucky shot, single mode light is the same as the upgrade edition on high.

+1 on iTP A3 EOS.

Last edited:

jk037

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks again for everybody's advice. I think I've pretty much decided to go for the ITP EOS A3 Upgrade, in Natural.

Where is the best place to buy from? (somewhere that ships to the UK)
Shiningbeam's eBay shop sells them for $24.25 inc. shipping, is this the best deal?

Good choice! :twothumbs

My A3 Eos also came via Shiningbeam on ebay and came to $24.25 - £15.25 in real money at the time.

My remaining lights from DX are currently at the local post office waiting for me so might get round to putting pics & reviews up next week... :rolleyes:

Pete Mcrash

Newly Enlightened
i've just ordered from DX, 3 red blake cats (100lm) for the wife n kids and got a tank007 (110lm) for me....both have good reviews and for about £23 delivered for 4 lights u cant go wrong......(fingers x'd they work....lol)

Melson

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I was wondering if when using the ITP A3 if it's in your pocket and it happens to turn on?

I plan on purchasing the Standard version and this is something I am concerned about before I make my decision.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
My new lights are here! :D

Not got time to put together a full review with pics yet, but a quick summary and comparison with the iTP A3 Eos:

Trustfire XP-EF23: Hi/lo/strobe, hi mode very similar brightness to iTP A3 Eos's hi, slightly colder tint and a little more tightly focused. Quite heavy, about 1" longer than the A3 and maybe 1.5mm thicker, VERY nice shiny finish, feels built to last. No problems and no adjustments/modifications required.

Black Cat HM-01: single-mode, a little dimmer than A3's Hi mode, brighter than A3 in Med, much tighter focus (surprisingly good thrower!), tint a little warmer. Very light, similar diameter to the head end of the A3, about half an inch longer, grippy but slightly rough knurling at head and tail, pinkish-red anodizing, feels robust despite light weight. No problems and no adjustments/modifications required.

Unbranded DX $3.42 AAA "3W" light: single mode, a little dimmer than A3 in med, bluish tint, very floody beam without much of a hotspot. As expected, if this produces 3 watts then I'm a monkeys uncle. The LED emitter is some sort of 5mm variety but with more output than most 5mm types; surprisingly for this price it looks to have something like a "proper" driver board. About 3mm thicker than the head of the A3 and about 1cm longer, VERY thick battery tube, heavier than the Black Cat and iTP, knurling on head but not very grippy, cheap-looking bare ally tailcap, twisty switch means it's a "battery crusher" - I had to remove the tailcap spring and file down the inner side of the tailcap to make it work. (That said, bearing in mind the ridiculously low price, it's something of a bargain)

Unbranded DX 3xAAA flood-to-throw zooming "100-lumen" light: 3-mode (hi/lo/strobe), adjusts from very floody to very tight throw (beam shows shape of LED die when at full throw), similar output on hi to an Akoray K-106 (will use this for comparison as its a bit mismatched to the iTP!)on hi, slightly warmer tint. Body quite chunky - head about 1.5" diameter, overall length about 1/2" longer than the Akoray, neat but not particularly scratch-resistant black finish. Initially the head (which screws in/out to adjust zoom) felt very loose - threads are loose and original O-rings too thin. Much improved by fitting slightly thicker O-rings although threads still loose and a little rough.

:D

Last edited:

boomhauer

Banned
I carry the little iTP on my keychain, it's great.

I also just got a "Blake Cat" HM-01 in a mixup on an order, and I must say it's an impressive little light for $8.00. Almost the output of the iTP on high, and has a rugged-feeling rear clicky. It's about the size of a Solitaire. It does warm quickly, so apparently the heat-sinking is working. I decided to keep it. Wish they would lose the stupid graphics though, on what is otherwise a nice AAA light.

boomhauer

Banned
Gemany, lol. It comes in the same type box as some Tank007 lights, so it might come from that factory. Heck, I suspect that most of these brands come from the same factory anyway, with different names and trim levels.

Haven't yet gone through the first Energizer Ultimate yet, but I've heard that it runs brightly for the first 30 minutes then ramps down significantly over the next 30.