Bug Out Bag Light?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's knowledge, experience, health and adaptability that are the real SHTF companions. Even the best of equipment gets lost, stolen or craps it's bed. Amazing what can be learned from the unfortunate members of society that don't have the means to purchase a $300 torch or even a AA battery.

Yeah... would be a good idea to have some funds stashed for an emergency.... not necessarily in the bag though in case it gets swiped.
A bug out bag that bugs out without the owner could be a big problem. If it for some reason gets insanely bad and you end up having to pay $20 for a 4 pack of alkaline AAAs and a cheap $1 chinese light that takes 3AAAs you may wish you had a bug out bag for sure.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Many people I know look at me like I have two heads when I say this but IMO if you don't have a BOB/GHB and a plan your a dam fool. Period!

koziy

Newly Enlightened
It's knowledge, experience, health and adaptability that are the real SHTF companions. Even the best of equipment gets lost, stolen or craps it's bed. Amazing what can be learned from the unfortunate members of society that don't have the means to purchase a $300 torch or even a AA battery.

I find this to be a little bit of a cop out. Everything you said is true, but at the end of the day, a decision must be made on what flashlight to put in the bag. Do you want to see your way around at night or not?

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Many people I know look at me like I have two heads when I say this but IMO if you don't have a BOB/GHB and a plan your a dam fool. Period!
In my area I see no need to bug out, but that doesn't mean preparing for contingencies isn't wise but an immediate bug out isn't needed if one has proper supplies then one can toss them in a bag as needed. I do think "one" light for a bug out bag is unwise you need at least 3-4 lights but can get by with 2 at the least I wouldn't advise not having a backup light especially when you have to change batteries nice to be able to see what you are going. It is also nice to have a few low output area lights that could be also used as marker lights if needed and batteries and chargers so that outages longer than a few days won't have you needing piles of batteries.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's strange how some threads go on here!

The OP deliberately posted for views in the 'LED Flashlight' section of the forum, he didn't post it in the 'General Flashlight Discussion' or the 'Headlight' sections.

But when some of us offer suggestions regarding what we consider a suitable 'LED Flashlight' others choose to criticize!

A headlight is a great alternative for some and they can easily be suggested without the need to start criticizing others opinions.

We all know what opinions are like!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya that's what happens when people disagree. And yes we are all going to differ in opinion on this subject. Knowledge is absolutely your number one tool period! And yes it is sad that I'm many parts of the world some people could NEVER afford a 300 dollar light and get by just fine.i guess it comes down to if you can afford a BOB/GHB or not.im lucky enough to be able to have them and over the course of a year or so got it pretty well stocked. But I also keep up with survival skills.imo the lights I have are the best. And I'm sure you feel the same about what you got.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe so but the question here was about which light would you carry in a B.O.B. too?

So I would bet that many or even most people everywhere really have no idea that you can spend $300 on a flashlight in the first place and I also believe that anyone,anywhere can likely get their hands on an AA battery.

I really do not understand the point of your comment here?

Are you knocking being prepared or just talking about being prepared?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
To get us back on track yes I agree the AA format imo is the way to go. But nothing wrong with 123 primary batteries as well. In a crap situation it would be nice to have as much versatility as possible

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get us back on track yes I agree the AA format imo is the way to go. But nothing wrong with 123 primary batteries as well. In a crap situation it would be nice to have as much versatility as possible

Agreed!

I also have several lights that will take multiple battery sizes and am interested in the ones that will that I do not have yet.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a fm 3XAAA tube and love the different types of Dropins I can run with that. Wish I could find another one but don't think there around anymore

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a fm 3XAAA tube and love the different types of Dropins I can run with that. Wish I could find another one but don't think there around anymore

What is a fm 3XAAA tube? What lights do you use it in?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's a 3 AA Tube made by five mega it takes a P series head I run an m60LL in it and runtimes are huge. You can run just about any of the m60 Malkoff stuff in it.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
This really is not so complicated. I'd get a decent headlamp like a Zebralight or Princeton Tec. For a handheld, just get a G2X or if AA is an absolute, something from Fenix or Eagletac. Just carry a spare or 2 of primaries, why on earth would you fool around rechargeables and solar panels? Because you need MORE complexity and weight??

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
This really is not so complicated. I'd get a decent headlamp like a Zebralight or Princeton Tec. For a handheld, just get a G2X or if AA is an absolute, something from Fenix or Eagletac. Just carry a spare or 2 of primaries, why on earth would you fool around rechargeables and solar panels? Because you need MORE complexity and weight??
I think some folks figure if you have to leave or bug out then there is a chance you won't be back anytime soon and what you have could have to last you weeks even months and rechargeables fit that bill instead of having to buy a brick of primaries either spending a lot on lithiums or using leakalines and having to keep track of them over the years. I didn't have to bug out at all during a 4.5 day power outage but I did use 24AAs over that time and it cost me nothing as I had nimh batteries and recharged them 5 times. So you can either carry a 40 pack of AAs or 8 nimh and a charger.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have dealt with week long power outages and living out of my pack for weeks. Modern LED lights run so long battery power isn't the issue it once was. Unless night hiking all night hardly ever use a single 18650 or 2xAA batteries though have needed to change out 1XAA. My bug out systems employ lights which can run both 2XAA or 1XAA well. Though have an extra body for 18650 and a solar charger (small 7w) in one kit.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Walker nailed it! If you have say a 2XAA light with good batteries in it and 4 for a backup you would be covered for weeks with just that. The reason I have many more then that in my bags is just not for me but Incase others along the way are in need

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lmao I was actually smiling to myself when I was writing that 😂😂 but I would give out batteries to those in need.i mean probably

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I'd suggest the Streamlight Pro Tac 1L 1AA. It runs on Cr123 or AA. That way you can use either one.