Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *Beamshots-Post #36*Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60

Thanks for the links Search...I'm gonna have to look into that LED calculator more...always wanted to get into electronics big, but never have. I'm gonna try a brighter white if possible...I want to stick with the 5mm's as to not have to worry about boards and circuitry...yet...and keep it simple. But some of the 5mm white's look nice...

I did notice that the 12v red I got at RS did have a built in resistor...maybe they have soem more like that?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the links Search...I'm gonna have to look into that LED calculator more...always wanted to get into electronics big, but never have. I'm gonna try a brighter white if possible...I want to stick with the 5mm's as to not have to worry about boards and circuitry...yet...and keep it simple. But some of the 5mm white's look nice...

I did notice that the 12v red I got at RS did have a built in resistor...maybe they have soem more like that?

I've got a G2 on the way and a couple of P60s to play with.

Cheapest thermal paste is 2.94 unless I find it locally. 10 bucks at Radio Shack is a bit too much.

Now, when you frosted the LED, did that mean you used sand paper to give it a more diffused look? Which I also plan to do. What grit worked well?

I'll just run to RS and get some various LEDs until you figure out about the ones on that site. They are very bright, but I have absolutely no idea on the resistors or any of that.

In a few days I'll got 1 broken P90 and 2 good P60s to try this. If I ruin all three I should just stop :D

The internet is no good for ordering 5mm LEDs as you need a minimum amount or total price on all I've found. One was 25 dollars, uh no. Got an 8000 mcd green and 16000 mcd bright white. I'll test these out. The 16000 seems nice :) If it works.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a G2 on the way and a couple of P60s to play with.

Cheapest thermal paste is 2.94 unless I find it locally. 10 bucks at Radio Shack is a bit too much.

Now, when you frosted the LED, did that mean you used sand paper to give it a more diffused look? Which I also plan to do. What grit worked well?

I'll just run to RS and get some various LEDs until you figure out about the ones on that site. They are very bright, but I have absolutely no idea on the resistors or any of that.

In a few days I'll got 1 broken P90 and 2 good P60s to try this. If I ruin all three I should just stop :D

The internet is no good for ordering 5mm LEDs as you need a minimum amount or total price on all I've found. One was 25 dollars, uh no. Got an 8000 mcd green and 16000 mcd bright white. I'll test these out. The 16000 seems nice :) If it works.

Yeah, that's why I bought them from radio shack...no place is going to sell 3 led's for $1.50 and charge $4 in shipping...but, I didn't even have to use thermal paste, as it would be for a more permanent set-up. The high white one's I mentioned are the one's i did the runtime on, and were rated at 4.0V max, with 11000 mcd, so I'd be interested in a beamshot of the 16000 mcd one. I'll be stopping back up there next week hopefully, and try to get a different selection. They have so many, it's hard to remember which one's you've already tried, etc.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that's why I bought them from radio shack...no place is going to sell 3 led's for $1.50 and charge $4 in shipping...but, I didn't even have to use thermal paste, as it would be for a more permanent set-up. The high white one's I mentioned are the one's i did the runtime on, and were rated at 4.0V max, with 11000 mcd, so I'd be interested in a beamshot of the 16000 mcd one. I'll be stopping back up there next week hopefully, and try to get a different selection. They have so many, it's hard to remember which one's you've already tried, etc.

Go to DX for some 5mms. I never thought I would but I got a green (8000 mcd) and a white (16000) mcd for $2.xx. I forgot how much change. They have free shipping.

I do want to find a really bright red though. That's the main thing I'm looking for.

I assume you overlooked it in my last post, but is frosting the LED just using sandpaper? If so, what grit would you recommend?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I assume you overlooked it in my last post, but is frosting the LED just using sandpaper? If so, what grit would you recommend?

Whoops...No, I just used some "Frosted Glass" spray paint.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Well, I finally started to put this together by ordering a SolarForce L2m (1xCR123). So after spending $26 on a one-cell host, how much money am I actually saving by being able to use 'dead' CR123's now?:thinking: LOL

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I finally started to put this together by ordering a SolarForce L2m (1xCR123). So after spending $26 on a one-cell host, how much money am I actually saving by being able to use 'dead' CR123's now?:thinking: LOL

You shouldn't have asked...

Well, at $1.75 per cell (from SF/lowes), and a cell starting at 3.25 volts, You only use 20% of the voltage of the light ($.35), and the other $1.40 goes in the trash...I consider them dead at about 2.6 volts. This isn't only good for dead cells, but is also good for "stretching" your good cells out if needed. I mean who would use an M6 all the time for a week long power-outage???

Let's see some more pic's/beamshots!!! I have another dead P60 coming in from Dafabricata, so I'll have a high-red and a high white module to drop into my lights...I need to get a good runtime done on the red led though...

Oh, the 5mm High Brights from Radio-Shack are the best so far (at least that are available locally to most of us in the states)

Oh, thanks for bringing this one back up for me Kestrel...I've been meaning to do it, but have had family in town the past few days...

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

OK so I gave this a shot in an old G&P P60. I unscrewed the reflector and smashed the bulb. :)
I soldered the legs of a bright emerald green LED that I got in a trade to the filament posts and it worked. I did not want to remove the threaded part off of the base so I got it as close as I could and sanded the crap out of it. The thing puts out total green flood and I quite like it.
I even tossed a spare trit under the led for kicks and it makes the whole reflector glowy.

I have it in a yellow G2 but I think it may get moved to a 3 cell host and be run off of 2 AA batteries instead of a primary CR123 and 2 spacers. Makes it more emergency friendly don't you think? :thumbsup:

Anyone ever seen diffused 5mm LED's? The plastic is milky and they give perfect flood, even better results than sanding. I have a couple of white ones and I would love to buy more in different colors. Especially orange, red and warm white. :eek:oo:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got my G2, have a P60 and R60 to mod and got the dummy cell.

Now I'm waiting for my 8000 mcd Green and 16000 mcd White LEDs to come in from DX.

Aside from the 2 and a half weeks I've been waiting, it only cost me a dollar and some odd cents to buy them both and have them shipped. So if the ones from RS aren't cutting it, that's a decent route.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow I'm really interested in doing this. I would like to find the really good Snow white 5mm LEDs though, I dont' want any blue in mine.

On another note, I notice that those cheap keychain lights that use the 5mm leds are using 2 3v coin cell batteries. Couldn't you use 2 CR123s with this and enjoy the ridiculously long runtime? Are there any 5mm LEDs that use around 6V?

What do you think the output is on a fresh CR123?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sarge, emrald green LEd's? You have a link? I like the one's from RS, as they're actually quite close (if not exact in color) to the YG leds used in the aviator...I just can't picture RS calling the "Yellow Green Led's", as the term to describe the color is not widely known. The 2AA in a 3cell body does sound more emregency friendly, too. I haven't tried sanding any LED's yet, but I use a diffuser or just spray the LED with a light coat of glass frosting.

Search, I got my second dead P60 today, so now I have a white and red one (I was swapping them out for awhile there). My next dead one, I'm definitely going to get one that's a little more powerful from those web-sites you linked in your previous post's.

KDOG, That's exactly how I got a decent one for my Red one, I took it out of a cheap LED keychain light I had laying around. You just have to double check, cause one of them had two 3-Volt batteries, and one had one 3-Volt battery (bigger/lower voltage), and they were the same make of light's, but the LED's were different voltages. My red one came from the one with the two 3-Volts, but they're not as high as the CR123's are, so it may fry it. (The two together put out like 6.05 volts, where as two CR123's put out about 6.5), but if it's with-in tolerance, It should make for a REALLY long runtime light.

Glad you guys are enjoying it as much as I am...

Hope to see some pic's/beam shot's soon!!!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just waiting. I'm going to do something drastic so tell me if this might kill my 5mms.

My fiance has some clear nail polish. I'm going to experiment with that but if I don't like the result, does anyone think acetone or nail polish remover would hurt the LED. I plan to do a little at a time so there isn't any liquid going too far down.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just waiting. I'm going to do something drastic so tell me if this might kill my 5mms.

My fiance has some clear nail polish. I'm going to experiment with that but if I don't like the result, does anyone think acetone or nail polish remover would hurt the LED. I plan to do a little at a time so there isn't any liquid going too far down.

Hmmm...it should work..I would try just putting some scothtape over the lens first though...The clear polish should get out the obvious ring, but the acetone would probably pit it a bit...not to mention leaving a gooey mess...I'd try the scotch tape, and if that don't work, the clear polish would be a one-time gig.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm...it should work..I would try just putting some scothtape over the lens first though...The clear polish should get out the obvious ring, but the acetone would probably pit it a bit...not to mention leaving a gooey mess...I'd try the scotch tape, and if that don't work, the clear polish would be a one-time gig.

It was either clear polish or light sanding. Whichever let more light through and less rings.

I did all of this to realize I could just kill my cells off in my E1B. However, I am looking forward to have a low level red light for night time :)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

However, I am looking forward to have a low level red light for night time :)

Especially in a easy to carry G-Series light...no more trying to fiddle with those little red penlights/keychain lights...now you can use somehing you're comfortable with!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Especially in a easy to carry G-Series light...no more trying to fiddle with those little red penlights/keychain lights...now you can use somehing you're comfortable with!

For real. The closest I've had was a red filter on my old TK10. It was more orange than red.

I was relieved when you, I think, said the red 5mm LEDs were red and not orange.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I got some of those 3mm LED's you linked to. Actually I got 6 of each color of 3mm he had except UV and white. Was only 10 bucks total.

I am testing out the Onion ring and I think I like the beam from the 3mm better than the 5mm in the A2. So thank you for the link! :thumbsup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Warning: R60 module will not work with this mod. It doesn't have a raised base like the P60.

I destroyed my R60 to realize I wasted it. P60s are good to go.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Warning: R60 module will not work with this mod. It doesn't have a raised base like the P60.

I'm not following you, a raised base? do you mean behind the reflectored section? :thinking:

kosPap modified a G60 lamp assembly (post 17) I wouldn't image any similarly sized module would be beyond modification (including an emitter riser fabrication) :thumbsup:

Any chance of uploading some pictures?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not following you, a raised base? do you mean behind the reflectored section? :thinking:

kosPap modified a G60 lamp assembly (post 17) I wouldn't image any similarly sized module would be beyond modification (including an emitter riser fabrication) :thumbsup:

Any chance of uploading some pictures?

I will tomorrow. I've got an interview at 6:45 am and need to be sleeping.

Basically, the directions said that when you bust the bulb, grab the base of the bulb to pull it out.

With the R60 module, the base of the bulb is too far past the bottom of the reflector to grab it with needle nose pliers.

I'm sure something could be done, but it seems like a lot of trouble trying to get it out.