Burnouts, compact fluorescent bulbs

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used only GE compact (spiral) fluorescent bulbs and I have now had about 5 burn out on me.

I phoned GE's consumer service (800 435 4448) and complained 4 of the 5 times - first time they asked me to return the bulb (sent me a pre-paid shipping box) but each time they have sent me a $10 GE coupon - which I used to buy more bulbs - WalMart had 6 packs of GE compact fluorescent for $10.47 - so I am now well ahead in bulbs.

These were all (except one) the 13 watt (equiv to 60 watt) bulbs.

This seems to do it normally during the hot season -
I have never had the bulbs covered by any closed shade/housing.

I did have a single 10 watt (equiv 40 watt) compact fluorescent burn out on me - although it was less than 4 years - it actually exceeded the rated 8,000 hours (so I can't/didn't complain)

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
the premature failure rate of CFLs is a major issue, I think it needs to be brought out into the open and exposed for the scam it is.

This is not to say that all CFLs fail prematurely, but I have NEVER seen one last anywhere near as long as the packaging suggested.

Well.... never say never right..

Just because I have hard feelings about CFLs, has not stopped us from trying various options and trying to find something that does work well...

Here's what we are running in no less than 6 fixtures and 2 lamps at the moment:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/13-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-CFL-5000-Kelvin-Full-Spectrum/33475/

we went with 5000K just for fun and to see how we'd like it, probably switch to 4100K if these ever burn out, but so far they have a good life going and no failures.

These are also instant-on, which IMO eliminates one of my major "issues" with normal CFLs.

We put a date on the base of each bulb on the day it was installed. We have a pretty good average figured out for our daily use in each of these fixtures so should be able to determine if they last as long as they are supposed to, as long as they make it into the ballpark of their life rating I'll be happy. A 7000 hour bulb shouldn't fail at 1000 hours, but so many of them do. I'd like to see a CFL make it at least to 50% or better it's life rating before I give it a pass from serious critisism...

Oh.. one thing we can do, is start calling up the manufactures of the garbage CFLs that failed prematurely, and demand refunds!

Eric

turbodog

Flashaholic
I switched my entire house to CFL about 5 years ago. Here are some observations in no particular order.

1. These things don't like heat. I had 2 2-bulb lights that were unventilated. Bulbs died monthly. I experienced almost the same failure rate on the recessed "can" type lights. The heat went upward and pooled in the can assembly.

2. The home depot/walmart/etc have had more problems than some I ordered.

3. I swapped the warm white (read: yellow) for 4100k. Wonderful!

4. They do stand up very well to vibration.... like in my garage door opener.

5. Do NOT screw them in with the power on. The intermittent contact as you are screwing them in will kill them. This goes along with the "they don't like a dirty lamp socket" comment.