Busch und Muller IQ Cyo Premium

OndrejP_SK

Newly Enlightened
Not listening to warnings about the new Cyo Premium (http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html), I ordered the light for some € 55 from Germany and I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the shape of the beam. Maybe I just need to try riding with it and get used to it, but now in the middle of summer it's difficult when there's so much light until 10pm. :)

They replaced the LED with something more up to date - can anyone identify what LED emitter this is ? At least the manufacturer or maybe even the model ?

14324555737_e55533e3b2_z.jpg

In the following photos is a comparisson of the Cyo Premium powered by hand-spun dynamo wheel (at quite low speed, but enough power to see the beam shape) and a chinese XC-997 battery powered light modded with XP-G2 LED. The Cyo Premium reaches its 80 LUX because most light is concentrated in the hotspot at the top. Then there is some light in the thin horizontal stripe to light up distant area and some light to light up area close to the bicycle, but this last zone contains a lot of artifacts, especially on the left and right edges.

I need to bring my original Cyo RT to make proper comparisson.
14324289900_791cdc2f8b_c.jpg

swhs

Newly Enlightened
[Rule 4 violation by swhs deleted]

I don't review the Cyo premium because I tested the Edelux so there's no point. Understand now, [Rule 4 violation by swhs deleted]

And if you don't see the artefacts when it's dark [Rule 4 violation by swhs deleted]

[size=+1]swhs, namecalling and personal attacks are not OK.[/size] Stop it now, and do not repeat the offense. You agreed to follow the rules when you signed up to participate here. If you can't or won't behave yourself like an adult, you will not be permitted to continue participating on this board. Moreover, the moderator team will also be reviewing your posts to check if you are violating the no-shill policy. -Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

OndrejP_SK

Newly Enlightened
please cool down both of you. this is a friendly place.

@swhs I really appreciate your reviews. It has helped me a lot so far.

Marcturus

Enlightened
Thank you for pointing me to the LED. Here is an Osram page which lists the family of LEDs http://www.osram-os.com/osram_os/en...tting-diodes/oslon/oslon-black-flat/index.jsp so it could be either LUW HWQP or H9QP.

Oh no, don't say there isn't some easier way to tell them apart than measuring the most obvious difference which seems to be their thermal resistance characteristics!?

This was the Edelux 2's plot & projection,
http://www.enhydralutris.de/Fahrrad/Goniometer/Bilder/gox20130912_Wand.png
http://www.enhydralutris.de/Fahrrad/Goniometer/Bilder/gox20130911_50m_25m.png

It gets better once you realize it's your visual system exaggerating the unevenness and once you aim the lamp even higher than shown in the projection or on baslerbikes's photos. Admittedly, I like to even things out, and have a high-beam functionality, by using an additional beam.

Last edited:

OndrejP_SK

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that another big improvement is that the LED board in Cyo Premium is aluminum - not like in the original Cyo with XR-E where the board was standard fiber PCB with vias to conduct heat to the other side and to the heat sink on top of the light. This board should conduct heat much better and keep the LED cooler.

Another question: has anyone had a chance to compare Cyo Premium R (nahfeld / nearfield) vs. non-R ? As far as I noticed the non-R that I have does put some light in the near field, however I haven't tried it in dark forrest so I can't really say if it's enough or not enough. I'd really love to se the comparisson just like the 2 pictures of Cyo and Cyo R on Peter White's site.

Also is the Edelux 2 based on the nearfield reflector or on the stadard reflector ?

Marcturus

Enlightened
Who claimed these are two differently designed reflectors? Not with either of the Cyo Premiums. You don't want the R version cut the beam's width and intensity. Not on the road, not in the forest.
Well, maaybe if you're concerned about getting a ticket because you keep getting your separate front reflector shorn off ....
icon12.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
swhs, please take some time off regarding your post here, with regard to Rule 4

Bill

Last edited:

OndrejP_SK

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I stayed up longer and made those beamshots with my Bush & Mueller IQ Cyo RT with vaious LEDs (I had to resolder the board between shots) and a comparisson with Cyo Premium.

Exposure was manual 1/1.3s f/2.8 ISO800 with daylight white ballance.

The first 2 shots are Cyo RT with original XR-E LED in sensor mode (night) and in forced daylight mode (the SMD LEDs shine much stronger). The second is aimed lower and therefore seems brighter.

The second row of 2 shots are of Cyo RT with XP-G2 LED again in night and forced daylight mode. The general beamshape remains including the hotspot, it just gives a lot more light.

In the third row the first picture shows the Cyo RT with XM-L2 3B warm white LED offset within the board backwards.

And finally the last picture (second picture in the third row) is the new Cyo Premium. It gives more light, the beam is wider, and has very capable close illumination even though it's the version without integrated reflector. The downside is lots of artifacts and hotspots and uneven beam.

Last edited:

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
This was the Edelux 2's plot & projection

Marcturus, where did you get those links? I don't see any "Updates" page on Olaf's site or anything.

Well.. I must admit that was silly question. See the Fahrrad/Goniometer/Gegenueberstellung_neu.html page. For each light, there are "TA" and "Wand" columns (showing StVZO-important region, and a larger wall overview), and they contain "li re" links. The images are there :)

Last edited: