Buying new flashlight in 10 years... how things have changed - USB?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
USB charging can be a nice feature. However, I prefer a quick manual battery swap. I mostly use AA or AAA flashlights with NiMH. Yeah, you won't get extreme light levels off AA or AAA but I don't need mega lumens in my daily life. I've been using Eneloop and Eneloop Pro for a while now and I've been very happy with their performance. When things start to dim, they get a charge. I always have some charged ones in the case for quick rotation.

If I'm in a pinch and away from home, being able to use alkalines can be handy.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
USB charging can be a nice feature. However, I prefer a quick manual battery swap. I mostly use AA or AAA flashlights with NiMH. Yeah, you won't get extreme light levels off AA or AAA but I don't need mega lumens in my daily life. I've been using Eneloop and Eneloop Pro for a while now and I've been very happy with their performance. When things start to dim, they get a charge. I always have some charged ones in the case for quick rotation.

If I'm in a pinch and away from home, being able to use alkalines can be handy.

My thoughts exactly...I couldn't have said it any better myself. :thumbsup:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to almost never use built-in USB charging on my lights that have it. But, over time, I've changed my mind. I know it only take a couple of minutes to swap batteries and charge externally, but... it's still a couple of minutes. I'm lazy. USB is faster and easier.

Especially with lights that use FET drivers, it's important to keep your battery topped up if you want maximum output. So, I'm usually charging those lights every day, if I used them at all the previous night. With FET drivers, the difference between a cell at 4.0v and 4.2v is noticeable.

Finally, I think the water-proof aspect is a bit overblown. The lights with USB charging will take anything short of submersion in water. How often do you risk dropping your light in a pond? For those rare times, use one of your waterproof lights instead.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I used to almost never use built-in USB charging on my lights that have it. But, over time, I've changed my mind. I know it only take a couple of minutes to swap batteries and charge externally, but... it's still a couple of minutes. I'm lazy. USB is faster and easier.

Especially with lights that use FET drivers, it's important to keep your battery topped up if you want maximum output. So, I'm usually charging those lights every day, if I used them at all the previous night. With FET drivers, the difference between a cell at 4.0v and 4.2v is noticeable.

Finally, I think the water-proof aspect is a bit overblown. The lights with USB charging will take anything short of submersion in water. How often do you risk dropping your light in a pond? For those rare times, use one of your waterproof lights instead.

I think USB charging is very useful... if it works on phones and tablets and all sorts of other devices then incorporating it in flashlights is a no brainer. I do however want to be able to swap in a fresh battery in devices that I could use heavily having unreplaceable batteries in lights is a no-no for me as sooner or later the batteries go bad and you have to figure out how to replace them or toss the light.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
My Nitecore MH20 has a USB charging port under a rubber flap. I don't use it much as I usually chuck the battery into an external charger, but I have been happy to have the option to plug the light in to charge while on a long drive somewhere to ensure the light is fully charged when I arrive. Have done this more than once now, and I figured I can also charge it on the way home, negating the usual process of having to charge all the batteries you used on holiday, when you get home.

So yeah I won't buy a light specifically for it, but certainly won't ditch a light with the option, it is a nice-to-have.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Baz (YouTube channel) has reviewed the Klarus XT11GT that I recently purchased and am so far happy with, it has an external USB port and plug on flap cover. He submerged the light in water while running and apparently there were no issues. It was mostly because of his review that I bought it.