Cabelas XPG X-TREME LI Flashlight (500 Lumen)

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
cabelasxpgmc2.jpg

From Cabela's web site:

"Our new rechargeable lithium-ion flashlight puts powerful portable illumination in your hands anytime you need light, and it's compact enough to keep in your car, camper, backpack or suitcase. The light source is a high-intensity, 12-volt, 3-amp xenon lamp that throws a pre-focused 500-lumen beam. The body is weather-resistant, machined type II hard-anodized aluminum and is tough enough to take on any lighting task. In the tail is a continuous/momentary on/off switch. Power is supplied by a built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery. You will also receive a 120-volt, AC/DC adapter for charging at home, and a 12-volt adapter for charging in your vehicle or boat.
Length: 8-3/4".
Weight: 1.2 lbs. "

Thought it was interesting that the lamp assembly was listed as "12-volt, 3-amp" --- otherwise appears to be very similar to the G&P R500 Scorpion. Given that G&P makes Cabela's other XPG Xenon flashlights, it makes sense that this may be a G&P as well.

I called Cabela's 800 number to inquire about replacement lamp assemblies and battery packs. The person who answered couldn't find any information and put me on hold -- came back and asked me to call back tomorrow when the "Product Associates" would be available.

The product page is here.

Anybody have any experience with this light?

Got to get to a Super Bowl Party --- may not be able to check back until tommorrow.

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Now we're talking my kind of money. If SW had one of those on the shelf I'd have it

today. Hopefully they will get a clone soon. I love my existing 12volt xenon SW light

but always want more horsepower.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
I *JUST* bought a SL Ultra Stinger (and by JUST I mean four days ago). I think this light outclasses the Ultra Stinger for only a few bucks more. I didn't see a run time spec and you also have to wonder how generous they're being with the lumen rating. Funny, I was using the SL last night and wondering about the viability of a tailcap switch. I like the concept in theory, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. Having typed this, I'm not as bummed as I was when I first saw this post.

mdocod

Flashaholic
well, the description certainly leaves me puzzled to some extent...

If it is 12V@3A, then it must be 3 18500 size batteries (bare minimum to handle the current safely) or something bigger, but the length looks about right for 150mm worth of battery...
Or they are mistaking the voltage, it might be a rebadged R500 with a different body design.

I wonder if the cells are protected, or if there is a built in low-volt cutoff to prevent over-discharge of the li-ion pack..

well... cool thing, if this IS a true 12V 3 amp bulb in there, and it is driven good and hard, then it will be nearly as bright as a WA1185 setup... however, it would only run for about 25 minuts (assuming 18500 cells are in there)...

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
I have Fivemega's upgrade kit for the Stinger and Stinger HP and am very happy with both. Fivemega's axial 22 watt bulb is a real winner.

I called Cabela's 800 number and spoke with a Product Associate. This flashlight is so new that it has not yet arrived in stock. Cabela's employees have not seen it at this point. The Product Associate said he expects that it may arrive by the middle of this month. An employee at the Cabela's store here in Michigan said her computer suggested it may arrive as early as the end of this week.

It's going to be interesting to see if the lamp assembly is really 12 volt, 3 amp.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
therisensun said:
I have Fivemega's upgrade kit and for the Stinger and Stinger HP and am very happy with both. Fivemega's axial 22 watt bulb is a real winner.
Indeed it is. A white wall of light that shames the Surefire P91.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
therisensun said:
From Cabela's web site:

" The body is weather-resistant, machined type II hard-anodized aluminum and is tough enough to take on any lighting task."

I thought type III was the only HA. :thinking:

67L48

Newly Enlightened
Any news on this light? 500 lumens in a rechargeable package is just what I'm looking for. At $130, it seems like a great deal ... esp. since I have a bunch of Cabela's points built up.

Not much excitement here, which concerns me. Typically, when a new 200+ lumen light comes up, there are 15 different discussions on it.

Anyone investigating this one or is the Cabela's brand enough to discourage people from testing the light?

Thanks.

therisensun

Newly Enlightened
I just checked Cabelas web site and it indicates that this light is now in stock!

I'm leaving town early this morning for a couple of days. If I get a chance to call customer service and inquire about replacement light bulbs and battery packs I'll post what I find out. If not, maybe late Sunday.

clipse

Enlightened
Interesting. I had the G&P Scorpion for awhile I liked it well enough. I'll probably get this light when funds are available.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is it's a 7.2v light sam as the 500R. 12v at 3 amps would be 36 watts.......36 watts should = more than 500 lumens.

Mac

sizzlechest

Enlightened
I was at cabelas last night and checked out this light, they told me they just got them on the shelf. Seemed very well made & reasonably compact.

My initial instinct was to BUY. :drool: I had no clue on this light so I wanted to check the forum 1st before buying.

500 lumens, 40+ minute run time. The way the ac/dc charging system plugs in is pretty unique and keeps the light waterproof. (A threaded "hood" is unscrewed to expose the charging point)

Fortunately I have a cabelas less than 15 minutes from my house! What do you guys think?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
sizzlechest said:
Fortunately I have a cabelas less than 15 minutes from my house! What do you guys think?
I think you should go down there, have them show you the manual, box, or battery, and come back and tell us whether it's really a 3x18500, 12V light or just a rebranded 2x18650 G&P Scorpion at twice the price.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just look at the charger. If it states 8.4v output then you know it's 2 cells.

Mac

willrx

Enlightened
Not exactly the same light but have you looked at the WF-500 from www.dealextreme.com $32.00 shipped! You need to have the charger already and 2X18650's but as I understand, the Cabela's light does not have replaceable/removable batteries. Also, the WF-500 has a removable extension allowing you to run 2x18500 or even cr123's(not real sure about that). Another CPF'er did a review also. I apologize if this post is out of turn, just trying to share info. I did order one btw and I'll post my impressions.