Cabelas XPG X-TREME LI Flashlight (500 Lumen)

sizzlechest

Enlightened
cmacclel said:
Just look at the charger. If it states 8.4v output then you know it's 2 cells.

Mac

I checked out the scorpion- the charging point access is indeed the same.

I called and talked to the guy who showed it to my last night. The batteries are fixed he couldn't remove to verify.

He took a look at the chargers are read the following to me:

The car charger listed: Output 8.4 v - 9.0 v / 500-700 miliamps

The wall charged listed: Output 8.4 volts / 1 amp

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
That settles it: The Cabelas is a rebranded Scorpion at an uncompetitive price. For the same money, you could pick up three or four Ultrafire WF-500s...and just about pick up a Wolf Eyes Rattlesnake 13V light with a 700-lumen Lumens Factory EO-13L lamp.

67L48

Newly Enlightened
That's irritating. The G&P Scorpion is $100. I don't have $100 to spend on the light right now. However, I do have $120 in Cabela's credit, making the scorpion rebrand only $10 out-of-pocket. Yet, I still feel like I'm getting ripped off by $30, which will prevent me from doing it. In the end, I still have my $120 credit and no flashlight! ;)

willrx

Enlightened
67L48,
I say get the light, like you said it's only going to cost you $10.00 and you can walk out of the store with it. If you don't like it, take it back. It's still a great light. Good luck and thanks for the info.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking over the posts here and I seem to recall that Cabela's will offer sale prices from time to time. They also have some postcards they send out for 10% off every so often. If they were to put this on sale and have the 10% deal, then this is a little closer in price to the G&P Scorpion.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cabela's light comes with an AC & DC charger. The G&P Scorpion came with an AC charger only. That may add value or utility for some.

Also the G&P light came in two sizes. There was a shorter 1500 mAH model and the full size 2200 mAH model. Based on Cabela's listed length of 8¾", it appears to be the larger longer runtime version.

They are available on eBay for about $85 shipped. This does make Cabela's price of $130 + shipping quite high. Maybe the DC charger and the fact of dealing with an American dealer with an easy no hassle satisfaction policy is worth the difference.

Mark

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't have that XPG model. But I do own a couple of Cabela's XPG lights.
While they both work as intended, a feeling of quality is definitely lacking. As far as Made in China lights go, I've seen better quality from no-name units.

Considering the price, I wish I had gotten comparable models from Streamlight, instead. As an example, the black coating on my 2 XPG models feels like it was spray painted on.

Abrams.357

Newly Enlightened
how exaggerated do you all think the lumen rating is?
what do you all think it really is?

sig-in-tx

Newly Enlightened
I went out and picked one up today to carry in the truck with me, Its not to shabby. Very brite for the dollar very well could be close to there clam. Seems well built for the price. Don't think its regulated as the instructions say to turn it off and charge it at first sign of dimming. Oh well.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I just got mt GP Scorpion 500R and I am impressed by the total output of this light. It is a real flood monster. It throws pretty far too but the flood is really impressive. The soft glow of the xenon bulb is very warm and natural. I think this is going to be my nightstand light next to my MRV. Out in the yard it has output similar to the 150 watt halogen floods I have at all corners of my house. The quality and workmanship is also very impressive. I guess incandescents aren't dead yet after all.

Michael

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the Cabela's in Rogers MN earlier today and I had them pull out the Cabelas XPG X-TREME LI Flashlight. Unfortunately, it ran for maybe a minute before it shut down. I also noticed the disclaimer to not run it for more than 10 minutes at a time. Should I assume that the G & P Scorpion has the same disclaimer?