Cable Search

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a Sandisisk USB 2.0 card reader that came with a GREAT USB 2.0 cable and I'd like to try and track down another.

The cable is about 8" long and it's USB 2.0 A to B Mini. Like this:

42132863_8de496bcd3.jpg

I could settle for a retractable cable, but I'd prefer to just find another short one if I could.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I sometimes find myself needing a cable that I either can't find or don't have. Checking at the local stores I find the price of cables are outrageously inflated!!

I typically find myself getting them off of eBay for quite a savings! Of course it depends on how fast you need the cable. Sometimes, ya' just gotta' pay!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I rarely buy a cable in the stores unless I can get it dirt cheap. I was ordering cables through mail order vendors back in 1991. Got 15 foot printer cables for $3.50 and laughed my head off when I bought a printer at best buy and they said I had to buy a 6 foot printer cable from them for $25 or my printer wouldn't work.
Most cables shouldn't cost more than $5-$10 depending on how long, how many wires and how complicated the connector is. I picked an extension cable (ps2-ps2) for about $3.50 at a local electronics supply when I moved because I ended up putting my computer on the other side of me away from the trackball. I also got a $2 cable for my keyboard when I build another computer because I have a standard keyboard instead of ps2 and they no longer support that connector by my old keytronics (made in USA) still works perfectly after 14 years.

heathah

Newly Enlightened
Check Sam's Club for USB cables. I once purchased a pack of three gold-plated USB cables for about $10.00. I believe they were either 6' or 9'. I'm not sure what brand they were either, maybe Belkin. It's been a while since I've looked for them so I'm not sure if they even have them anymore.

Also, I'm not sure if there is a Big Lots store in your area but they have some USB cable adapters for $10. It comes with a 3' standard USB, a 6' standard USB, and an adapter to link them into a 9' standard USB. It also comes with several other adapters: (2) USB - RJ11 Phone Jack, (2) USB - RJ45 Network/Ethernet, several USB - USB mini (A, B) both M and F. You just plug the adapters into one end of either USB cable and then plug the cable into whatever you're working with. I bought a pack and have used them several times since then and they have worked great. I haven't found anything that they won't work with. They're not "name brand" but as long as the connections work they shouldn't be a problem.

drizzle

Enlightened
Lynx_Arc said:
...when I bought a printer at best buy and they said I had to buy a 6 foot printer cable from them for $25 or my printer wouldn't work.

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything but I've been consistently hearing bad stuff about Best Buy lately; especially their sleazy sales tactics. I haven't experienced it myself but I'm going to start looking around anyway for other stores that sell what they do.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Similar story,
I bought a USB printer cable at Radio Shack last year for about $25. After I left there I walked two doors down to Big Lots for something else and noticed the same length printer cable for $5.99. I bought it then walked back to Radio Shack and explained exactly what happened and they refunded my money without any grief.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Radioshack generally is a last ditch place to buy stuff, they have always been expensive on cables and adapters but know they have a captive audience because nobody knows how to find electronic part stores.