Quality, aftermarket extra long iPhone 6 charging cable?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a few extra long iPhone 6 charging cables on eBay a few months ago, and after a while none of them worked anymore (the iPhone either didn't recognize it was plugged in, or gave me the "item is not supported" message).

Does anyone make a high quality, extended charging cable that actually works?

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
Yes. I'm actually finally loving one. We have 3 and I'm referring all my friends.

I love these. Flawless and no signs of wear since May 8.

[Apple MFI Certified] Akiko Cable 2M (6.3FT SIX FEET) w/ Aluminum Head Lightning 8-Pin to USB Charger and Data Sync Cable Made for iPhone 6 6 Plus 5S 5C iPad Mini Air iPod - Compatible w/ iOS 8 [Lifetime Warranty] - Retail Packaging-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO7E9FQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
I should add that I researched forever and finally gave up and ordered 1 then another and then another! Anker makes decent stuff too.

Last edited:

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
The wire material on the one I recommended is like the strongest Cat 5 Ethernet cables. It's soft but industrial feeling and has a numerical imprint in light lettering.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My bedside cable is the Cambond 10 foot day-glo model; I went with orange since that's the traditional "extention cord" color. No issues after a couple months' use..

Also, if you didn't already know, the iPhone 6 ships with a traditional 1 amp charger, but the phone itself can charge at up to 2.4 amps; an iPad charger or any aftermarket device capable of 2.4 amps will give you a significantly faster charge.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you didn't already know, the iPhone 6 ships with a traditional 1 amp charger, but the phone itself can charge at up to 2.4 amps; an iPad charger or any aftermarket device capable of 2.4 amps will give you a significantly faster charge.

There are two different iPad chargers available that I know of, a 10 and 12 watt version.

There may be a new version coming out for the 2016 model year iPhones and iPads due to the beefier processors.

I also purchased a longer set of cables. One iPhone 6 had no issues, the other didn't recognize the cable. The iPad indicates that it's not charging correctly, but charges fine.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, some good news/bad news - my toddler fell in our HOA pool the night of 8/28, and my iPhone 6 took a dunk when I jumped in to keep him from drowning. Good news: my child is fine, bad news: my phone is toast.

I managed to source a good condition used 5s on 9/2 and have been using the new cable with it.

Yes. I'm actually finally loving one. We have 3 and I'm referring all my friends.

I love these. Flawless and no signs of wear since May 8.

[Apple MFI Certified] Akiko Cable 2M (6.3FT SIX FEET) w/ Aluminum Head Lightning 8-Pin to USB Charger and Data Sync Cable Made for iPhone 6 6 Plus 5S 5C iPad Mini Air iPod - Compatible w/ iOS 8 [Lifetime Warranty] - Retail Packaging-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KO7E9FQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I ordered this cable for just under $14 delivered via eBay, and have had it about a week. I am really liking the construction so far. You can tell it is quality. An interesting note, although very unscientific: I could swear the battery charges faster with the new cable, but since I went from a 6 to a 5s, the battery capacity was also reduced by approx 16% so perhaps that is just due to the difference in batteries.

I'm going to order a second cable for my wife.

My common sense kicked in and I did not order the Anker. I decided I would try one, and if it worked, stick with it. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the Amazon Basic cables. I've been using them for about a year now without any problems. I believe 6' is the longest.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I could swear the battery charges faster with the new cable

Nicely done saving the day and the little one, and almost as brave downgrading your phone, dunno how you stand anything other than the 6. On that note, the 6 charges fastest of all iPhones by a huge margin using a 2.4 amp
charger, all other iPhones are internally limited to the 1 amp rate of the included charger.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done saving the day and the little one, and almost as brave downgrading your phone, dunno how you stand anything other than the 6. On that note, the 6 charges fastest of all iPhones by a huge margin using a 2.4 amp
charger, all other iPhones are internally limited to the 1 amp rate of the included charger.

Thank you. I really didn't want to downgrade, but a friend came up with an extra 5s that he gifted me, so I certainly couldn't argue on price. I'm already about a year into my contract, so it won't be too much longer before I get to upgrade to whatever Apple is announcing tomorrow :D

I've been using the 1A charger that came with my 6, so I guess I never took advantage of the higher charging rate that the 6 allowed.

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
cland72 glad to hear you are liking the Akiko! Mine are still showing no signs of wear.

These do have a smaller lightning connector I believe than the Amazon Basics. It may be the same as the crappy Apple OEM cables.

I have an Anker on the way. They're replacing a car charger and it will come with a cable. I'll report my observations.