Can a FET single mode Direct Drive driver be used for Hotwire?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can a FET single mode Direct Drive driver be used for Hotwire?

i have them on Maglite XHP70 builds in 2D mags just curios

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, bigchelis

I'm no expert on circuit boards, but I don't see why not. If your single mode is 100%, the FET is essentially direct drive. An FET produces very little heat, but it might have an amperage limit which could result in melted components and deformed spring. But if you are not talking big amps, and as long as your battery voltage is within the specs of the bulb, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, bigchelis

I'm no expert on circuit boards, but I don't see why not. If your single mode is 100%, the FET is essentially direct drive. An FET produces very little heat, but it might have an amperage limit which could result in melted components and deformed spring. But if you are not talking big amps, and as long as your battery voltage is within the specs of the bulb, it shouldn't be an issue.

I have 2 FET DD drivers but they have 9V input limits.

I do have another 22mm FET DD Driver 100%/single mode from Mtnelectronics on way to me. They are $15 bucks and its being built with my 16.8V input requirements. It should essentially handle all the 10A of current and yet work almost heat free.

Ill post updates once I get it working.

bigC