Can someone please lead me to the perfect EDC pocket knife??????

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
I am a serious pocket knife coinsurer. Let me explain, so that maybe my learning curve can help yours be less expensive!

I went through the whole gamut, from Shrade slip-joints, to high-end slip-joints, to pocket-clippables.

Things I found out I like:

Locking blades: especially liner or frame locks, but a lock-back will do.

Pocketability: I don't carry clipped knives, as I am a big guy, and they end up sticking out and falling out and being just too obvious. So, I look at a knife with the intent of removing the clip and carrying it in a traditional pocket-knife mode. This is also much stealthier; I like stealth. I can still where my business clothes, and carry a mean knife!

Shape: for pocketability, you want a smooth, rounded shape, no sharp or 'pokey' edges, and the length, thickness and weight need to be to your personal preferences. It still needs to fit in you pocket well (do you wear Dockers, Levi's, or cargos?)

Quality: 'nuff said.

Looks: I personally don't care for the super-aggressive look of most Benchmades and Microtechs. Just not my thing, but YMMV. But I do like a self-defense oriented knife, and if it is classy looking too, all the better.

So, what have I found?

Great small pocket knives:

Spyderco Cricket, with the clip removed. This is an AWESOME pocket knife, especially the stainless version. Very thin, very light, great blade steel (VG-10), and a perfect pocket shape. Also very stealthy.

Spyderco Dyad Jr. (mini-Dyad). Discontinued, but remove the clip and you have a very nice knife with 2 locking blades, one plain edge, and one full Spyder edge.

Benchmade Benchmite—mine is the auto version. Great knife.

Larger pocket knives:

The KING of this class is the Chris Reeve Sebenza line. I like the small Sebenzas, especially the classic series. And, with the pouch that comes with anything other than the plain ones, you have a great pocketable knife, with the clip removed.

If you can afford it, get a Sebeneza, big or small. You will never look at any other knife the same way again. You said you wanted perfect; Chris Reeve Sebenza is it.

See this post here for further confirmation:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1918919&postcount=7

CR also makes the Mnandi.

And, along the lines of the Mnandi, is the William Henry line of knives. These, and the Mnandi, don't fit my hand well, but might for you. Great pocketable knives.

Hope this gives you some direction and saves you some money on your journey of discovery!

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco Calypso Jr. Very slim profile, excellent cutter (among the sharpest knives Spyderco makes), great in the hand. And price is very reasonable. I have one in burgandy from the first run of ZDP-189. I use it very often and just yesterday I sharpened it for the first time. It held an edge that well and after just a few minutes with the Sharpmaker, it was SCARY sharp.

Link

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'll say the Cribbage has it about right - I'd say the Sebbies (or a Lochsa, or a Mayo - not a Buck-Mayo but the REAL thing) are about the "best knife out there"

I find my custom Jeff Hall to be my perfect dress knife, but I worry too much about over stressing it or scratching it (it's not one of his tacticals - but back when he had some dress models)

My DC Munroe Chimera was an EDC for a long time - nice knife - but the recurve forces you into stick sharpening, and I rounded the point - my problem, but I've sworn I'll never again carry a recurved blade

Right now - I'm actually trying out a charge TTi as my EDC - let's see

PMI

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys. I went and bought the Benchmade Griptilion full size model 551. I trusted that it was made in the U.S.A and I opened the package, took a deep breath and sure enough it was made in the U.S.A. I let out a big sigh. On the package it said that it was 440C stainless steel, I really didnt like that but o well. Opened up the blade and on the side of the blade it says 154cm. Isnt that a better stainless steel? Also I thought the knife was gonna be really bulky and heavy but to my surprise the knife is light as hell and isnt bulky at all. So so far im pretty happy with my benchmade.

http://www.benchmade.com/loading.aspx?model=551

cutlerylover

Banned
Its so hard to say what the perfect EDC knife is since everyone has different needs and even when someone is specific abotu what knife they are lookign for there ends up beign about 2 dozen good knives that would fit the description...but I would say to check out Benchmades website alogn with spyderco knives, and Kershaw...I would also check out some knife forums and read up on knives... knifeforums.com or bladeforums.com , but if you get hoked on knives dotn blame me, lol...I asked for a good edc flashlight over at a knife forum and got directed here, and fater a few months, and 743 posts and about $300 or more here I am, lol...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
A knife has many similarities to flashlights. One that suits your needs regardless of costs will be a pleasure to use. Until then, the treadmill search will drain $$. Most chances is that you'll spend upwards of $300 in this search for a $70 knife.

I'd suggest the Sebenzas, Benchmades and William Henry's right off. heck, you may even find a handmade custom too. Don't be shy about using them...they may be pretty but it is a functional tool first.

http://www.nordicknives.com/CustomTN1.php

There are some nice Koji Hara's at good prices here.

cal..45

Enlightened
I recently bought a Byrd (Spyderco) Raven. it is a very impressive knife and I just love it. build quality is unbelievable good - especially when you consider the price (around 30 US$). it came with a nice sharp edge - though not scary or hair popping sharp. a few strokes with my lansky changed that - now its able to shave the hairs off my arm with ease. I can't say much about the blades quality yet (8Cr13MoV) but it seems that it is a solid steel - close to AUS8 and even a bit harder than VG-10. here are a few pics:

Ravenvonlinks1.jpg

Ravenvonlinks2.jpg

Ravenvonrechts1.jpg

regards, holger

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you enjoy the new knife!

Purchasing a Benchmade is very, very rarely a bad choice. While I am nor a big fan of 440 or 440A, 440C is quite good for most everyday users and 154CM is (IMHO) better but a bit harder to sharpen. Your knife should serve you well for any use you might find for it and for a very long time.

Some suggestions for any knife owner -- keep it sharp, keep the pivots lubed, and keep it clean. Dull knives are a wreck waiting to happen and there are tons of threads here and elsewhere on how to keep it sharp. A little lube keeps things working well (what I use is either a wax based lube like White Lightning or KryTech, or the dry lubricant, TufGlide). Crud and lint from your pockets will work its way into the pivot and lock, and if you don't clean it out, the knife will open harder, increase wear on the pivots, and possibly cause the lock to fail (Ow, ow, ow!). Sharpen, lube, and clean regularly.

Now as to the next knife you buy, and the one after that, and the one after that, and so on...

JML

Enlightened
Apply Militec-1 to the pivot, heat it up, and wipe away. Do this a couple of times and you'll have a very smooth opening knife that stays clean. The waxy lubes aren't ideal for a bronze-washer pivot and an Axis lock, IMHO.

And get yourself a Spyderco Sharpmaker to keep that Griptilian slicing away.

If you like the Griptilian, and get the Sharpmaker, consider the Cabela's D-2 steel version (harder to sharpen, but holds an edge even longer than 154CM) or the different blade shape and S30V steel on the Ritter version.

The one thing to watch for with a tip-up Axis lock is getting cut if the thumbstud catches on the pocket seam or your jeans and opens the blade when you're taking the knife out. You may lose the tip of your finger...

cbxer55

Enlightened
I don't know if they are perfect or not, but Me likes em anyways.
I carry a large Benchmade Rukus with black blade in my right pocket.
And a small Rukus with satin blade in my left pocket.
Kinda pricey though!:)

Robert Hill

Edgedweapons

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Kershaw Leek 1660. an awesome Spring assisted Pocket Knife. fast, safe, legal in most states.

its my favorite pocket knife. you can switch the clip to carry the knife tip down. this allows you to pull out your pocket knife in a position that is ready to open the knife giving your a faster edged.

[Advertising link removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

YayILikePie

Newly Enlightened
From the original post, it seems like the newer, one-handed opening folders just aren't doing it for you. I hope the griptilian works well for you. If you still find yourself on the search for that ideal pocket knife, perhaps you might want to go the traditional route and pick up a stockman pattern, such as a Case Yellow-Handled medium stockman with CV blades. The blade configuration lends itself to various tasks, and the CV sharpens up very easily.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 4 that a rotate.
i REALLY like the Victorinox Soldier (pre -09) as a casual EDC.
the 09 as camping
and my black Spyderco Native as another EDC for work and some play.

DM51

Flashaholic
The original post is almost 3 years old. I hope the OP has found one by now.
LOL. I'll close the thread, but if the OP still hasn't chosen a knife and wants to keep it going, he can send me a PM and I'll re-open it.

DM51

Flashaholic
OK, I've just received a PM from another member, saying he had found the thread very helpful. Knives are much less prone to obsolescence than flashlights, so I'll re-open the thread in the hope that others will also find it useful. The topic is a good one.

daytec

Newly Enlightened
kershaw ken onion boa full size, nonserraded. toted one for about 7 years,i use it daily.if i every lost it i would replace it with anew one of the same.....marty

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
My Mini Grip has been in my pocket going on 2 years now. For me, it is my perfect EDC knife. It was probably the perfect EDC 3 yrs ago too...

DSCF1245.jpg