Can Trustfire be Trusted?

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Need advice on getting this light. Is it worth it? I'm going for the whole pack as I've never had an 18650 light before. What's the OTF lumen rating? Reliability? Regulation? Efficiency?

And how does it stack up against the tk 35?

tzt

Newly Enlightened
Just get the 3800 3*xml light, and the skyray stl-v2. They're brighter than almost all the high end models, it's all diminishing returns from there. The downside is that you'll have almost nothing else to buy to beat them in sheer output, which is disappointing for a flashoholic.

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
The downside is that you'll have almost nothing else to buy to beat them in sheer output, which is disappointing for a flashoholic.

Sheez, all I'd have to do is wait 4 months or so going by the ever-progressive light market changes.

tzt

Newly Enlightened
That's been the case as of late :)

More srsly though, moving beyond XML's won't be easy. There's only so big you can make the dies, and so big you can make the head of a flashlight to give it a certain focus. I hope the cheapo manufacturer will then turn to fixing quality instead of churning out umpteenth models of the same new thing.

AndyS

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today. Initially the switch seemed intermittent. I've since given it some TLC (complete disassembly, heat paste where appropriate, Vaseline on the o-rings, dielectric grease at the switch.) It works well now.

The o-ring at the front glass is split nearly all the way through and is discolored (dark) near the split. I need to replace it. There was also a nick in the alumin(i)um near one of the threaded joints, but it's pretty well covered once assembled. It's pretty strange that they used GITD o-rings throughout. Only the front one will ever see light.

AndyS

Newly Enlightened
... Vaseline on the o-rings, ...
Cancel that. Just read that the o-rings are not petroleum compatible, and noticed that it came with a small ziploc baggie of grease. Will clean off the Vaseline and re-grease tonight.

Also, the balance on this is terrible for a rear "tactical" clickie. I'd much prefer a forward one.

davec

Newly Enlightened
Need advice on getting this light. Is it worth it? I'm going for the whole pack as I've never had an 18650 light before. What's the OTF lumen rating? Reliability? Regulation? Efficiency?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...6-My-FandyFire-STL-V2-arrived-today-(awesome)

The above light also on DX is cheaper than the one your looking at and probably a whole lot brighter.....I am not disappointed in mine. That's not quite true, I am disappointed in how it makes my other "powerful" lights seem dim in comparison. The 3 XML-T6 LEDs simply put out a wall of light! :eek: