Cap Lights

ironhorse

Enlightened
The Sunwayled L10R works very well clipped to the bill of a hat. However the light does not remember the last level used and it always comes on high. This makes it an okay light and not a great light.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
Normally, the best button battery cap lights are up to 14 lumens.

Then there's the Browning NightSeeker PRO, which has a single Nichia 0.5W white led for 26 lumens, plus some weak color leds (either red or green). The Nightseeker PRO pivots, but it is clipped under the bill of the hat. small red leds. This cap light pivots above the bill of the cap. Has anyone bought this light and can comment on its performance?

I have this light and it is the best cap light I have found. Runs on a single AAA battery. I have the green leds for hunting. I bought mine from Wholesale Hunter on line for less than $13. It comes with 2 leds, green or red. Fairly good runtime. 4 position switch, one 5mm led, two or main led and off. Nice light. Beats the coin cells by a mile but does not have a lot of extra weight. Can be switched from hat to hat, which is a big advantage to me. Throws plenty of light for navigating in the woods early or late.

ama230

Enlightened
There is the so lite from countycomm.com which has a swivel. I have a few of these and gave some away to friends and family due to them needing a small light for general purposes. Great little light.

Also there is the photon rex which you could get to stick to bill by any tape. Its brighter than any cap light and its rechargeable internal battery is chargeable by any battery 3v or less. Its 40+lumens of bright white light at batteryjunction.com for 17bucks.

Then there is the photon freedom which is really bright with just a single 5mm nichia gs k1 warm led. Has a great ui and can be dimmed and has all types of modes and you can get the led in any color. It runs on two 2016's and has a max runtime of 100hrs on low. It comes with a clip and a neck lanyard and keychain and can be had for 8 bucks at battery junction which is a steal and has a great warranty. I haven't had to change my batteries yet and Ive had the light for a couple of months and use it every other day. Absolute best bang for the buck! hands down

I can see why you guys don't like using a flashlight on the end of a bill since its rather heavy and clips are sometimes too loose.

Then there is the maratac aaa which is super light and super bright and can be adjusted med-low-high and takes a single aaa. Runtime on medium is more than adequate for the 20 lumens. On a single energizer lithium AAA will make the light feather weight and have awesome run times. Available at www.countycomm.com/aaa

Hope this helps,
ERic

ama230

Enlightened
I have this light and it is the best cap light I have found. Runs on a single AAA battery. I have the green leds for hunting. I bought mine from Wholesale Hunter on line for less than $13. It comes with 2 leds, green or red. Fairly good runtime. 4 position switch, one 5mm led, two or main led and off. Nice light. Beats the coin cells by a mile but does not have a lot of extra weight. Can be switched from hat to hat, which is a big advantage to me. Throws plenty of light for navigating in the woods early or late.

That light definately has a nichia regal led in it. It is a power led and is .5w. It does have one of the best color renditions out there as it is nichia. I have a light that uses the same led and the sucker is bright and is a great brightness to size ratio.:twothumbs Looks like an awesome light for the price of 13 bucks or less. Is it water proof?

Scoutnhunt

Newly Enlightened
Glad to stumble on this thread ......... use the clip on cap lights frequently. Especially at the hunting camp from mid Sept - Jan going to the stand in the early morning before daylight and coming back after dark during deer season. And again from early March through May during turkey season.

Can't beat the low level LED clip on lights for that application. Also use them on the boat at night when we're out in the ocean fishing. Great to have hands free.

I've resorted to having 3-4 of the cheap lights from Wally World on hand and just ordering the 2218 or what ever the correct batteries are off of eBay from reputable dealers there.

The batteries usually last a reasonable period and when I start to notice fade they get replaced. Not a high tech system, but it works.

Funny that I own 4 Surefires and have put in an order for a HDS but use cheapo cap lights. Looks like there are some good ideas here that might change my habits.

rajalexi

Newly Enlightened
I love CPFlovecpf

I think a cap light should be very small and bright enough for the work you are doing. I haul gas for a living and am at a lot of gas stations at night so I need a bright floody light so I can see if any fittings are leaking. But I need both of my hands free to do my work with the heavy hoses. I glued a little piece of fabric to the bottom of my cap bill and slide a BEZEL DOWN flashlight into it. It works perfectly!:) I love my ITP A1 EOS,http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a1-flashlight.html I just wish it was a clicky instead of a twisty. But I will trade the hard on off for the size and brightness any day. Here is the link to a simple tutorial on what I did if anyone is interested: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3575403#post3575403

If anyone knows of a clipped light less than 3.8 inches long putting out over 120 lumens with a clicky I would love to hear about it.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The local Wal Mart had some hatlights on sale for $5 and I couldn't pass them up. They're meant for walking trails at night, and so are floodier than I thought I'd like. But then hanging curtains this week (Drilling and driving screws) the focused beam worked quite well. The advances in even 5mm LEDs since 2009 have made caplights much better for the money. The one I have runs on coin cells, but I'm considering giving it a plug and switch to use coin cells or a 4xAAA pack. I think I could stick such a pack on for much more runtime...

lwknight

Enlightened
I do maintainence work in a power plant where it is common to see guys with headlamps mounted on their hard hats.
These lamps will work just fine on baseball caps too. They have tried just about everything under the sun.
So far the Coast H7 from lowes beats all the rest hands down. Bright crisp light that in infinately adjustabld from 3 to 196 lumens and
focusable from a smooth 90 degree area light to a small hot spot good for 100 meters.
The best part is that the battery pack mounts on the back so you don't have all the weight up front.

I use mine almost daily and its permanantly fixed to my hard hat. It gets plenty of abuse from EDC in tight places that
I have to go.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clip my ZL H51Fc to the bill of my cap all the time, works well for me and clips in my front pocket when not being used as a cap light. Makes for a great little angle head flash light too.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Love the idea of this thread,

I too am seeking a good cap light. Presently I have one of those "panther" hats that I bought from Lowes. Love the lighting options, but there is now an issue I don't know quite how to address. with the wires and LEDs permanently affixed to the hat, it cannot be machine washed and I am not very good at hand washing. I wish the lighting wires and fixtures were removable for cleaning.

I recently bought an energizer model that clips to the top of the bill and uses a single nichia LED and coin cell batteries. Put's out good light and is useable but looks kinda goofy during the day. I try to keep the hat and light together because I WILL leave it if I remove it.

I am going to look into that Remington model mention above.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baseball Caps: So far I've found baseball-style caps just not very good for secure headlamp mounting, with their long bills that get in the way of the beam.

I had one of these:
43542793.jpg

It had 3 5mm LED's and used 3 AG13 batteries. Hacked it up
20121218100657.jpg

Voila. Currently fits the L0P, E01 and E05. I know that there are things like this out there but I got the light for free and when the batteries drained, I couldn't be bothered to get more.
20121218102006.jpg

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a headlamp or clip-on light - all were way more expensive than I liked, especially since, like everyone else here, my issue is definitely NOT a shortage of sources of illumination. It was 3 o'clock in the morning and I couldn't sleep, so I made this homemade ball cap clip using a wire hanger, vise grips, and small strips of silicone wrap tape (sorry - no duct tape). Y'know, necessity may be the mother of invention, but frugality is the boyfriend and insomnia is the cheap whiskey. And this is the trailer-park trash that was spawned.

I call it the Bubba Clip (because I refuse to name anything after Honey BooBoo), but, let's face it - this thing is the most creative use of a wire hanger in a trailer park since . . . well, let's not go there. It works with my Mini CR2 (180 lumens) and allows me to twist the light on and off with one hand. It works on any cap, it's cheap, it clamps the light very securely to the brim, it's cheap, and it stores perfectly in an old prescription bottle (so it won't get bent when not in use). It doesn't bounce around when jogging (if you're foolish enough to do such a thing). I've since ordered the Lucky Line 40601 Belt Hook Key Holder from amazon.com to secure to the light with o-rings like someone suggested. That will probably work as well and be smaller and more portable, but I have this one right now and I've already used it several times. Plus, did I mention it was cheap? Of course, a black wire hanger and a small black rubber tube (instead of the silicone tape) would look better, which I'll do if I make another one for a different flashlight.

Ha-ha. "if"? Make that "when". I sleep a lot less than I used to, and I have a TN31mb on the way.

I might need a bigger hat.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I still think if some company mass produced some cap lights with higher lumen output than those currently available, that they would sell.

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Well, I started this thread. The best light I've found is the iTP EOS A3 upgrade version that has been discontinued, but still available at LightJunction. It comes with a snap-on reversible clip. Just reverse, and snap-on the clip, and it is the perfect cap light. Don't buy the Olight EOS I3 which replaced the iTP, since the Olight clip is not reversible.

ThrowerLover

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'm thinking about making one for my Xtar Wk21. It's brighter and has an RCR123 in it. Since it's also a twisty, it should work just as well. I'll post some pics if/when I make it.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for a headlamp or clip-on light -...this thing is the most creative use of a wire hanger in a trailer park since . . .

I LIKE it. Put a prom dress on that trailer trash and take her out. All you need is a length of electrical heat-shrink tube, a candle, and you can just squeeeeeeeze her into that tight dress...should look very professional when done.

Last edited: