Car LED/flasher/hazard lights?

jemab

Enlightened
BugLightGeek said:
I might be buying a case of (5) Turboflare 2-packs and would consider selling 3 of the 2-packs if anyone was interested.

I'm not sure on a fair price so I was thinking $23 for (1) 2-pack, shipped CONUS.
Anyone interested?

I'm interested.

Wyeast

Enlightened
BugLightGeek said:
A TurboFlare Group buy would be handy right about now! :poke:

Hadn't thought about the reflective triangle...guess I just wanted the extra gadget! :D

Gadgets are always good. But in addition I think either Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which) sells a metal triangular warning sign - I think it's bright red center, reflective red edging. Anyway, hotglue a couple of magnets to the back and you've got a quickie sign you can slap onto the back of the car when it's disabled.

I carry regular flares - the LED's just don't do as great a job in daylight, plus I can be a little bit of a Good Samaritan and use the flares when I pass a disabled car on the road even if I can't stay. Tho' I've been eying something like a Powerflare or Turboflare to augment the goodies bag.

I also picked up a bright orange "skier down" flag from the local boat supply - because the last time I played good samaritan on the freeway some dillhole almost ran me down even though I was holding a lit flare in my hand. :rant: The flag is cheap only a couple bucks I think. Next on the list might have to be an ANSI II or III safety vest. :grin2:

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
All: Red or Amber LED blinkie or winkie lights for bikes, typically running on 2xAAA's now, make great $3CND emergency marker lights. Good ones have a clothing clip on the back. They can be clipped to bungie cords, to the front or back of reflective traffic vests (White Scotchlite reflective tape is visible for greater distances than anything else), but they do not stand up well on bare pavement; clipping them to the edge of a gear bag, toolbox or weighted cardboard box works well. They are not daylight visible, but they cannot start a fire either....

Here's an image:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1163957399942

North of 60 a lot of dogs have them on their collars as walk lights, and cyclists use the amber ones on their mittens as turn-signal markers. Combined with 2m/yds of white Scotchlite reflective tape tied or sewn into a loop to wear over your shoulder, and you are about set for visibility in total darkness for about $10CND.

For really cold weather, below -20C/-10F, the 2xAA size winkies will last longer due to the greater mass of their battteries, which take longer to freeze. The trend though, is to go to 2xAAA lights so these won't be around for much longer...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1163957399939

A good deal is to buy a 2xAA white winkie, which also makes a pretty good cheap LED flashlite in steady on mode, and a red winkie, sold as bike light kits:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1163957365504

Put a couple of stout rubber bands on the white winkie with a loop of cloth elastic tied through them as a head band, and you have a cheap, very tough head lamp as well.

Petzl's headlamps also make decent winkie lights or work lights, but it is best to have winkies facing front and back, so 2 cheap winkies are better than only one expensive head lamp!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302697057&bmUID=1163958166213

Enlightenment!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok.
GreenLED
jemab
shifty646

You guys are first in line. EOppie, you're backup.
I bought the lot tonight so I don't know when I'll get them.
Please send $23 to the email address in my profile and I'll get them sent out after I get them.

NOTE: I'll be out of town from the night of the 22nd until the 30th so these won't go out until the 30th since I doubt I'll get them before then.