Cases: otter verses pelican

Raven

Enlightened
Is there a clear winner, or are they both pretty much the same?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't know about Otter, but sure have seen and have heard more about the Pelicans though. Plus their reputation.

jtice

Flashaholic
I like them both,

But I like Pelican alittle more,
they seem alittle tougher, and the latches seem stronger.

IMG_2395.sized.jpg

~John

heathah

Newly Enlightened
I have several of each and they are both high quality cases.

The OtterBoxes I have use two locks to hold the lid shut and seem a little more secure than the Pelican cases. This is probably due to the distinct "pop" you can hear when locking each of the OtterBox's clasps. I'm not saying the Pelican cases aren't secure. It just seems to me that the OtterBoxes are literally bombproof.

The Pelican cases, however, have the Pick'n'Pluck foam inserts you can order to customize how the case contents are held. I have not been able to find such inserts for OtterBoxes anywhere.

All in all, they are both high quality cases and I would recommend either of them. They each come in differing sizes so buying some from both manufacturers should allow them to complement each other very well. This is what I have done and now I have many different box sizes instead of those only offered by one manufacturer.

Raven

Enlightened
I noticed the battery station had a foam insert spefically designed to hold batteries.

Has anyone ever seen those before, or did battery station probably have them special made?

greenLED

Flashaholic
jtice said:
But I like Pelican alittle more,
they seem alittle tougher, and the latches seem stronger.

That's been my experience with the larger cases. I only have one small Otter box, so I can't comment on that end of the spectrum.

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf heathah, I'm in Tulsa. we have local cpf gatherings once in a while.

pelican.JPG

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
The locks are different for different pelican cases.

I have 3 pelican.

small - 1 lock
medium - 2 locks
large - 4 locks

Pelican seems to make larger cases than otter. But I do have a HUGE pelican, it's about 26x18x14. Otter topped out at about 1/2 that size.

But, both are nice.

I'd make my decision based on the smaller refinements:
1. do you need places to put a padlock?
2. how are the handles?
3. do you like the color?
4. is internal foam important?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't sampled a wide range of both, but for the ones I own, I think Pelican makes a more durable case (especially the 1120 size and up). Really, you can't go wrong with either brand. :)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of both and my nod goes toward the Pelican for the bigger sizes. In the smaller ones, I have no problem buying either...whatever works and I can find. Battery Station has them at nice prices, it's easy. Often the local shops are at full retail and not always in stock. (Sport Chalet, camera shops...)

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've noticed that Fry's Electronics sells quite a few good selections of the Pelicans in different sizes. I've seen the larger ones with "rollers" on the shelves.

cy

Flashaholic
raven, I believe this is the battery station version you were refering to. came exactly as pictured

jenks

Newly Enlightened
I've used Otter, Pelican and UK cases.
I have not had a chance to use Storm.
Otter only makes small cases, they reach a certain size and then become Underwater Kinetics dry boxes.

Pelican are heavier in construction and strength. Excellent warranty.
I think both UK and Storm a varient of ABS plastic while Pelican is some other magic plastic.
One advantage the UK cases have is they have a much smoother outer suface.
Not the plastic itself but the hinges and ribs a lower profile. There is much less stuff outside to hang up when you are dragging it out of a luggage bin or bow locker.

My opinion is worth what you just paid for it...

Samoan

Enlightened
I've used both. I find Pelicans to be of a higher quality and actually overkill for what a lot of people use them for. That being said my camera, pistols, and cigars (when travelling) all live in Pelican Cases.

-F

heathah

Newly Enlightened
cy said:
welcome to cpf heathah, I'm in Tulsa. we have local cpf gatherings once in a while.

Thanks!

I forgot about these cases I ran across awhile back. The are called Seahorse Protective Equipment Cases. I really don't have any experience with them. Does anyone else?

I find it kinda funny how some of these cases use some type of sea animal in their name: Otter, Pelican, Seahorse...

Someday we may see Manatee or even Walrus cases. ;)

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened
If anyone is hutting for some custom foam, I have the one that Cy pictured. It's for the Pelican 1010 case. I don't really transport my batteries much, so if anyone wants it, let me know. Just help me cover the cost of shipping.

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
Dan Ching said:
If anyone is hutting for some custom foam, I have the one that Cy pictured. It's for the Pelican 1010 case. I don't really transport my batteries much, so if anyone wants it, let me know. Just help me cover the cost of shipping.

PM sent

Boltgun