CCFL inverter issues

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
My older lcd tvs receiver circuit failed and not worth repairing, we replaced it..... leaving a 32" lcd tv with functional Main PS (24v) and functional CCFL backlight..... I've pinned out the PS but I'm having issues getting the inverter board pinned out to activate the 16 ccfl bulbs to fully illuminate.....
There are several ±24v inputs, an activation (BLon), and a dimming (PWM) input....
When I activate the main PS, then connect BLon to +24 all the ccfl tubes light but they strobe radically, if I connect PWM to steady +V of any rating, the bulbs dim down to lowest levels but strobing stops.
I don't have a PWM signal generator, therefore am at a loss.... Any advice on how to get these massive CCFLs lit? They are ran in 8 sections of 2 tubes in series for a total length aprox 60in long.... I don't know where to get an alt inverter for that size tube.... seems a waste if I can't fire these up somehow.
Tnx everyone

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but that defeats the purpose of keeping the whole structure.... Lol
I was hoping to e-cycle this into a replacement lamp for over my work bench, which already has an LED array for low level flood, and a 100w CMH HID for when I need some serious lumens..... I'd like to swap the CMH out for the ccfl array. More lm than LEDs, faster warm-up then CMH, lower power consumption then CMH as well as it will still run off my household UPS system, which the CMH does not.
Best of all, it's free and already assembled.... and a fun little project :-D

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
trigger blon with +5.you may do damage with +24.
it can work if you like 7500+ k light.bluish/purplish.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like it might be easier to replace the CFLs with LEDs.

The lamps are NOT Compact Fluorescent Lamps, CCFL is a cold cathode fluorescent light. These are commonly used in laptop and many older flat screen TV's. They require no heating of the cathode prior to operation and power up at essentially full ouput so they are in effect, 'instant on' devices and have pretty long lifetimes. They typically run on an output of several hundred volts from the inverter. Usually the inverter fails long before the CCFL.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
trigger blon with +5.you may do damage with +24.
it can work if you like 7500+ k light.bluish/purplish.

Yes, I've gotten them to fire up but it's the pwm signal that I'm having issues with. With no signal to it, the bulbs strobe from dim to full brightness erratically but if I give it +1v or more it only runs dim but strobing stops.
The light from these bulbs is actually closer to 5500-6000k color, it's very nice for work lighting.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've gotten them to fire up but it's the pwm signal that I'm having issues with. With no signal to it, the bulbs strobe from dim to full brightness erratically but if I give it +1v or more it only runs dim but strobing stops.
The light from these bulbs is actually closer to 5500-6000k color, it's very nice for work lighting.
try pulling it low.
btw most tv ccfls and leds are quite bluish.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pulling it low? I'm not familiar with that term.

As far as color goes, like I said before, these are a nice clean, crisp 5500-6000k color, not the usual +7k that most are used to.... one of the big reasons I want to repurpose it.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
This ccfl array is from a (and the only one I've ever seen) Polaroid t.v.
Idk if they had used a diff ccfl design than most tv manufacturers but the color is wonderful. If I can get it fired up I'll post pix.
Luckily, this tv wasn't one of the ones that burst into flames like quite a few of the others in this model! Lol