Challenge Week #3: Throwers Only! Got Throw??

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I think I may have it fixed. I just did a "select all" for the text in the post, then tried a few different sizes. A font size of "1" looks like it matches everyone else's text.

I've seen this bug before; I think it's something about when I paste in text off a website or other document.

It's really weird though that I only see the error when I'm logged out. :confused:

Definitely not intentional; I saw the problem and thought oh great, now I look like a goober that can't figure out text formatting! :ohgeez:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've seen other peoples posts do the same thing ST.

My chrome used to do weird stuff like pinch sentences and words really close. Like I'd just written a really long sentence "somethinglikethis"…… in my reasons for edit slot I'd put in word pinch.

All throwers this week so far. I even left the water bottle cap cover for my PKDL PR-1 work light at home so far. But the one time I needed a flashlight at work I had a gen 1 Pelican 2350 in my jacket pocket. 100 lumens with 19,000cd.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Compared to challenge #2, this is easy so far. More fun, too, as I have options to fiddle with when bored and no fear of running the battery low :D

Ironically, the torch I'm carrying the most is the C8. It's got the bulkiest form factor for pocket carry and the ugliest tint of the 3, and even so I can't keep it off my hands. Maybe it's the heft of the host that feels good in the hand, maybe it's the nostalgia of it being my very first thrower (and very first Convoy).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A new pair of shoes arrived today. I like to shine a light inside to look for the way things are constructed and these have a white canvas lining throughout. I shined my Pelican 2390 thrower down into the shoe and GOOD GOSH!! It was not much unlike looking at the sun. Spots galore after sending 180 throwers into a tiny white cave.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
bykfixer, I'm with you on enjoying the Pelican lights! I have a 2nd gen 2350 that I really like. Totally underrated IMO.

I had a new light arrive today and luckily it's a thrower so I'm able to use it! Surefire EB1 Backup with the gas pedal switch. Heaven!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you decide to go permanent with your Mag-mod flashlight lens dot com has some ultraclear acrylic numbers already cut for Maglites.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about them. I'll probably put the Mag back to stock so that the Task Force light can get its lens back. Fun to mess around for a little bit though.

I did discover that the LiteExpress drop-in has a pretty severe ramp down during the first 12 to 15 minutes or so. By 20 or 30 minutes it's really not much brighter than the old "1-watt" Nite-Ize drop-in that I've had for years. So that's kind of a bummer. It can be restored back to the initial brightness by cycling it on/off again, but still, I probably wouldn't have got it if I had known. One of the comments on Amazon said it best, that basically it's not cost-effective when you can get a whole new Maglite for a little more money (now that they have stepped up their game).

I took it to work today and used it in some dark basement storage areas. At longer ranges the beam fans out a little more than I'd have thought, but it's still a good medium range thrower.

Start--------------------------------------------------------------->> 10 minutes later
IFLsGPG.jpg
EHQeu0u.jpg

20 minutes later
9wyQMJN.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Circumstances today favored expedience, thus I used the immediately-available Emisar D1 for dog-walking duty. Mercifully the mutts' leavings weren't on leaves and we're easy to locate; using a tight beam to sweep an area would have been akin to looking at Google Maps through a straw.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`m not sure if I`m technically in or out now? I`v done a few light mods today and they weren`t technically pure throwers. so I don`t know if that`s allowed or not, but I do get lights in to mod quite often and as a wife/mother have to take advantage of whatever free time I get to do that work in.

I`ll leave it to you guys :)

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I`m not sure if I`m technically in or out now? I`v done a few light mods today and they weren`t technically pure throwers. so I don`t know if that`s allowed or not, but I do get lights in to mod quite often and as a wife/mother have to take advantage of whatever free time I get to do that work in.

I`ll leave it to you guys :)
Nothing against it myself. You're testing your mods, not using the lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Needed to see about 150 feet inside an 18" concrete pipe, looking for flaws. Enter the thrower. My normal everyday carry 500 lumen work light would not have reached that far into a pipe without all of the spill flashing back in my face from the bright white inside of the pipe. So the sub 200 lumen thrower Maglite ML25 did the trick.

Edit: at 3:30am I heard a "thump" and grabbed the MankerT01, which prompted low. My goodness that little thing threw a nice narrow but dim beam end to end of my house. The spot hit a mirror in my living room and suddenly the entire room was visible enough to see that for whatever reason Mrs Fixers car keys had fallen from a shelf to the floor. Perhaps it was the attached flashlight that made the "thump" sound?
End edit

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welp, I made it a whole week with nothing but throwers. I blinded myself a few times using a strong beam close up but that's part of what made it a challenge, right? Plus it was fun using some kinda early LED technology.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... for whatever reason Mrs Fixers car keys had fallen from a shelf to the floor. Perhaps it was the attached flashlight that made the "thump" sound?
End edit

Ghosts maybe??? :huh:

This week motivated me to finally work out a solution for the old Task Force light to let it use AA in adapters rather than two C. Just had to add a second spring inside the tail end, to mash the adapters far enough into the forward spring so that the AA + end contacted the spring center point to complete the circuit. (the forward spring by itself is too wide to connect to AA cells)

Today I've been looking at LEDs pre-mounted on 20mm stars and thinking about swapping the existing Task Force star for an XP-G2 or maybe an XP-L, if I can find some kind of spanner tool to unscrew the ring that's holding everything in.

Also this week reminded me how much I enjoy the old Fenix TK20 neutral light. Color and tint are highly subjective, of course, but the color temp for me is a perfect warm-sunlight kind of look that I always enjoy. I like it better than some of my other supposedly "high CRI" lights, some of which have weird tint.

The TK20 has a 45 lumen low mode, and the hotspot is so small at close range you just use the spill instead. Not a problem at all! I gotta start using that light on a regular basis again.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got any other ideas cookin' or just take a little break between challenges?

I'm thinking one-week hiatus to give everyone a chance to mess with lights that have been neglected for a while. After three challenge weeks back-to-back it's probably time for a break.

I do have one or two more ideas though :)

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well I for one will most certainly welcome a break, it`ll give me chance to try out some of my new lights and mods that I`v been wanting to try for the last 3 weeks :)
I`m looking forwards to reading what the next 2 challenges are going to be though, the suspense is getting to me already! LOL :D

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm thinking one-week hiatus to give everyone a chance to mess with lights that have been neglected for a while. After three challenge weeks back-to-back it's probably time for a break.

I do have one or two more ideas though :)

:cool:

Last evening Mrs Fixer asked if I had a flashlight handy as she was looking for something under the bed. My brain went into "challenge?, oh right that ended at sundown" and grabbed a Sofirn C01 from the nightstand. Turns out she was looking for her C01.

So yeah it'll be nice to be in freestyle mode for a bit, yet these challenges cause me to appreciate how diverse my flashlight quiver is too.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Aaaaaand done! It's Sunday 4PM and so I wrap up my second challenge! :rock:

Compared to last week's, this was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Going from one single 1xAAA to a trio of 1x18650s to choose from is the equivalent of leaving a sleeping bag to sleep on top of a Russian stove. Even had a choice of tint :grin2: Even if I did mostly carry the ugliest tinted of the bunch half the time...

Incidentally, this has rekindled my interest in getting a Convoy C8+ in a nice warm tint. I say an XP-L HI in 4000-ish K is in order next time I have the money to splurge a bit :naughty:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what happened but the whole week went by and I think I used my flashlight once. For whatever reason I wasn't in situations where I could use a flashlight.

Oh well. :sigh:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said I was out on this one but I didn't have a single piece of equipment to inspect at work and the only light I used all week was my mag ML300lx so technically I guess I completed this one haha