Cheap China HID aspheric mods?

Enlightened
. I do have a question for you Taurasmark the HID you have is it the 35W flashlight style if so have you had the ballast out of it or would you be willing to take it out and measure the ballast lenth minus the bulb. If you need help I can help you its held in with 3 screws under the reflector. The reason is there are replacements ballast for these lights 3 different sizes some of us are trying to find out what each size is rated at, but for some reason we all seem to have the same size ballast so far.

Be very careful when taking out the ballast. As it will slide out from the battery compartment hole at the back of the torchlight, the ballast body will slide out first, and when that part ends it will drop out, BUT THE BULB WILL STILL BE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE FLASHLIGHT TUBE. So what happens is the ballast body angles and drop out, the bulb hits the tube, and the bottom part of the quartz bulb support will break.

Somebody pls ask me how I know that. LOL! Luckily its the 50W ballast, not the brand new 65W ballast. I have a 65W coming in! :)

Also be careful when the metal washer is screwed out. You can remove the battery by sliding out, you'll be ready for that probably. But then you will not be ready for the falling out ballast. :)

2nd bummer!

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Mine isn't like that ill shoot a pic to show you my flashlight head assy comes apart rite where the head joins the body

Here is the pic of how my comes apart
X6010.jpg

Last edited:

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Was for sure gonna replace the reflector its pretty crappy even for its intended purpose I think having one made would be the best option will have some math to do figuring out the best option big problem rite now is finding a 76mm lenses so till I find that I'm on hold

It might take a few e-mails to get the transaction completed, but it might be worth checking out one of the following manufacturers to get a custom aspheric. Just tell them that you want a "sample order" of one or two aspherics. I think I'm going to try and get some aspheric lenses for my XLR250 kill lights, just for the fun of it:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/263618401/Aspherical_Lens_Fire_Polished_Lenses_Optical.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/228544568/aspheric_lens.html

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
AWSOME you have the kill lights also how you like them I have 3 and they throw like crazy can easly light up deer and racoons at 250 yards where my property is.

Ill check out the links you posted I did find one I think will work at DX

Joe

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I love my kill lights. I had a one of those big scope lights before with the sealed lead-acid battery. I got so tired of lugging that heavy thing around, that when I when I got my kill lights I fell in love.

I put the creator of the DEFT in touch with Elusive Wildlife Technologies in the hopes that he could help them create a "super light". They two companies are only a few miles apart, so maybe we'll see some DEFT-inspired kill lights in the future.

I recently saw a 75mm aspheric on DX for $7. I'm sure this is the same one you saw. Good luck with your mod. I'll post pics of the lens on my kill light once it's all done.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
awesome yes thats the one at DX. I talked at great lenth with Bobby from elusive he told me they are putting an ext tube out for the 250 so it can use 2 18650 cells. The R2 emitter in the light with deep reflector is very nice I dont know if the second battery will drive it harder of if they are looking for better run time I just today ordered a 3A driver and XM-L emitter I wanna make a pill for the light and see how the XM-L performes in that reflector. I'm gonna make the Pill from copper on my lathe should do better with the heat over the aluminum one. so far the Kill light using the R2 emitter is the best thrower in the R2 class at 1 meter I have the Tiablo A9 and DBS V3 both with R2 and the kill light kills both of them for throw. the hotspot is only 2" and the spill only 21" total I have a meter on the way cant wait to see how well it spec's. Would be nice to see it with aspheric but then it wouldnt use the reflector so I doubt it would be any better at that point. Gonna shoot bobby an email to see where there at on the EXT. and see if I can pry some info from him on any additional output lol.
OK as I just went and looked the ext is now avalible lol

Joe

seven11

Newly Enlightened
The XML will be a sweet mod with the deep reflector on the kill light. Keep us updated!

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
will do Placed order with shiningbeam yesterday should have it in a few days then a day to make the pill and install the driver and emitter. Not sure yet if I'll have to open up the entry hole on the reflector I dont think I will but can do that on the lathe if so. I ordered 2 ext tubes from Elusive today and am waiting on a responce from Bobby there advertisement says increase in run time. I'm hoping the extra battery will ramp up the output a tad also. will find out in a few days when the ext comes.

Joe

Ekinorak

Newly Enlightened
Just got a 65 Watt Ebay HID and allready have a 75mm aspherical from DX= Sku 43044. the 75mm seems to be a bit big(maby 1mm) i think someone with the rigth tools can make it fit.

Here is a picture:

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Just got a 65 Watt Ebay HID and allready have a 75mm aspherical from DX= Sku 43044. the 75mm seems to be a bit big(maby 1mm) i think someone with the rigth tools can make it fit.

Here is a picture:
Will be able to mod the Asheric if it ever gets here week 3 from DX still looks like its sitting in china from the tracking info provided wish I knew why it takes so long to put a package in a plane or boat I mean it's a simple thing to do. That shold not take 3 weeks unlessyour crawling through chest high MUD for 100 miles
The tracking says waiting for post to ship.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
did you have to hold the lense in place or did you get it to fit also can you try and see if you need to hold the lense away from the bezel to focus it or if it need to set deeper in the head to focus

Joe

Ekinorak

Newly Enlightened
I could not focus the beam at all, and you will not be able to either. The flashlight came with a yellow lens, i could fit my aspherical in that and just strap it onto the flashligth, however it just gave my beam loads of articats and more spill.
Im waiting for Trustfire X6 and ill be using the aspherical on that one :)
Still the throw on this HID aint the worst considering a 3'' reflector. It outhrows my sst-50 thrower easily.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
ok I assure you so long as the lense doesnt need to touch the bulb to focus I will get it to work. I have a mill and lathe as well as a foundry to cast the corrct extension if needed you saying you put the lense in the yellow filter to install it and get more spill that way says to me the lense needs to be closer to the bulb to focus. as that filter slips on over the head of the light thus putting the lense further from the bulb. Is this the case as best you can tell if so I will try to fit it inside the head rather then making a part to extend it. Also have you tried it without the reflector as you now they aren't made very well and having an Aspheric lense on with it may magnify the bad areas thus making artifacts. Please keep me informed.

On another note for seven11 I put an XM-L in the Kill light running on 2.8A shinning beam driver its for sure just as tight a hot spot and just a shade -dimmer now this is on 1 cell as soon as my ext comes in for the kill light I'll use 2 batteries Im sure its gonna be a nicer thrower with the XM-L will post Pics as soon as I get the ext

Joe

Last edited:

Ekinorak

Newly Enlightened
This is how i fitted the lens. As people said before you cannot focus a bulb that sends out light in the same matter as a led.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there, done that & it doesn't work.

Alright, May be I should elaborate a bit more on this.

It won't work for several reasons:

1. Need to get rid of the parabola reflector, as the reflected parallel lights turns into artifacts through the lens.
2. The glass pole on top of the arc chamber blocks the arc chamber's light path toward the lens.
3. Even if you position the lamp side ways to allow a clear path between arc chamber the lens, You'll only collect 60 degree out of 360 light source, i.e 1/6 (17%) of the light, as HID bulb is 360 degree light source vs. led 120 degree. The Throw will be much less than a single reflector, which easily send >60% of the the light forward.

Technically, it can be done, just not as simple as placing lens over the bulb.
The most common way is to use a elipical reflector that reflect the light to a second focal point
ahead of the original arc chamber, then send it through the lens.

43250489.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts