Cheap IF filters?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a decent and cheap IR filter for one of my friend's lasers. I've read about harvesting one from a webcam, but I can't find any cheap. So does anyone know where to get a filter for about <$10? I haven't been paying enough attention to lasers lately. :(

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
For $10 you can buy a real, high quality IR filters, meant for lasers, at Nova Lasers..

I think they get them from CNI, and it is probably the same one as in their lasers.. At least it looks the same..

A webcam filter might work, but at high powers, it could leak or even melt. Depends on the laser he has..

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
For $10 you can buy a real, high quality IR filters, meant for lasers, at Nova Lasers..

I think they get them from CNI, and it is probably the same one as in their lasers.. At least it looks the same..

A webcam filter might work, but at high powers, it could leak or even melt. Depends on the laser he has..

I have several webcams and spy cameras, the IR filter is the rainbow color crystal??

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the ir filter at novalasers but the shipping would cost as much as the item. :thumbsdow The ir filter should be a blueish/green color. Anyone have any old dead leadlights layin around?

Edit: The laser only puts out 30mw of green.

Last edited:

rosskim1980

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, the price of the IR filter is more than 10 bucks.plus the shipping fee, it will be more than 20 bucks.

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
When i was looking at it, it said something like $9.50 or so, but that was with the forum discount..

It figures, that shipping would cost just as much. But proper IR filters are completelly different from what you can find in a camera.

Otherwise, depending on the power of the pointer, IR might not really be a problem..

In the cheap chinese pointers, the IR is not collimated, before it enters the crystals. The green comes out very narrow, while the IR is already spread out. The expander lense mostly expands the green and a little of IR, while it blocks most of it. The collimator lense further blocks some IR, and collimates mostly the green. But with a camera, you san still see the IR glow around the green beam at the collimator. At the top of the laser, you usually can't see any IR anymore, since it is blocked by the narrow aperture, and the little, that is left is overpowered by the green.

This is the reason the green DX lasers only put out very little IR. There are no IR filters, but the way it is built blocks most of it.

More expensive CNI lasers (Nova Lasers...) have a pump diode, which has the fast axis already collimated. This puts more IR into the crystals and achieves better efficiency. If they didn't have a filter, they would leak much more IR, because they have the collimator at the top, and there is no narrow aperture above it, to block it further.

Which laser are we talking about exactly?

If it's one of the DX pen style lasers of a low power, there is nothing to worry about. The simplest way to elliminate the IR even further, would be to make the aperture even narrower, and only allow the green beam to go out.

Last edited:

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
This is the laser my friend got. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10557 I was concerned since someone on the dx site posted that their laser put out 70mw of ir.

70mW of IR with this one or a different one?

Without an IR filter the amount depends mainly on the way it is built - collimation of the IR before entering the crystal and the narrowness of apperture.

With a 30mW laser there shouldn't be too much to worry about. This one could work with a web cam IR filter without melting it tho.

But as i said, use a camera to look at the apperture. If you only see the green, there is not much IR. If you see a white glow around it, then a filter might be a good idea, depending on the brightness.

If you ever looked at an IR led through a camera, you know how they light up, even tho the camera has a filter. If you don't see any glow, it means it has less IR than an LED.

I'm gonna make a picture of the DX200 output at the collimator lense and at the top, so you can see the difference. I'll attach it to this post in a few minutes.

IgorT

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, i can't get the same effect anymore..

Before i saw a huge IR glare around the collimator lense, and none at the apperture.

But in the meanwhile i managed to align the crystals with the pump diode a lot better, so it's very likely this is the reason for lower IR leak.

I can still see an IR lens flare on my cell phone camera which is again gone at the apperture. But the pictures are such a low quality, they are not worth posting. Something happened to my camera window and the pictures are completelly blurry.