Cheap Lanterns???

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I am intrested in getting a few lantern. I just want to get them for power outages. I have a ton of AA NIMH batteries too. I was at a discount store and they had some for $2.00. It took 4AAs and had an incadesent bulb. These things looked kinda junky, but at the price I could get a few. Are there any decent inexspenive lanterns?

leprechaun414

Enlightened
The River Rock that you can get at Target is I think the best little lantern out there right now. It is $25 but might be a little bit higher than what you might be looking to spend. I highly recommend it. If you get one and don't like it than I will buy it from ya :naughty:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have two older River Rocks and this weekend just bought the newest version which I really like! It's supposed to have great run time on low although I haven't verified run times yet. The incandescent lanterns are so power hungry. I think it's worth the extra money to get one or two good LED lanterns.

Here is an active thread about the River Rock:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159548

fishx65

Enlightened
Those Energizer 4aa folding lanterns are worth a look also. They look like they wouldn't put out that much light but they do. There's a good thread going on about them right now. To my eyes, the light output is about the same as the original RR lantern. I have the newer 3 led versions.

Candlestine

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Coleman LED Micropacker Lantern from wallmart a few days ago. Three AA, and the box said 125 hours run time. was $10 and came with batteries. It's not the sun, but in the dark puts a nice glow throughout a room. It's small 6x2x2", has a retractable reflector, and a hanging loop. I plan on getting a few more. Hard to beat at $10.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Candlestine said:
I just picked up a Coleman LED Micropacker Lantern from wallmart a few days ago. Three AA, and the box said 125 hours run time. was $10 and came with batteries. It's not the sun, but in the dark puts a nice glow throughout a room. It's small 6x2x2", has a retractable reflector, and a hanging loop. I plan on getting a few more. Hard to beat at $10.
Hmmm... I saw those at the store the other day... I thought on it but figured on not pulling the trigger as I already own 4 RR 4aa lanterns. lol. Which reminds me I need to kill/maim the glare. lol.

Mike Iver

Newly Enlightened
I actually bought one. Than I went back and bought another. I put a PR3 in one of them and a KPR139 in the other (to run on NIMHs). Very bright, but not sure of run times. Maybee 2-3 hours. The lights are definately junky, but I think they will be good for the house in a power outage. I might have to get 1 or 2 more. For $2.00 it gets the big thumbs up.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Pretty much as already summed up by the others here. There's also the Osram Golden Dragons, or the Brunton Glorbs.

Going ever "cheap" for emergency lighting are candles, tea, votive and the like. Usually going for 0.xx cents! But I know, these aren't battery operated.

Enjoy!

Patriot

Flashaholic
RdlyLite said:
Hmmm... I saw those at the store the other day... I thought on it but figured on not pulling the trigger as I already own 4 RR 4aa lanterns. lol. Which reminds me I need to kill/maim the glare. lol.

I noticed that same little lantern, but I already have 3 RRs, two old style, one of them new style. The Coleman is truly a backpacker's size though. I still might get one if I run across it again.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
The Coleman LED Micropacker Lantern is your cheapest lantern for the price and if you dont need alot of light it would be fine in a power outage. If you want something brighter than the River Rock is the best for its size and price. The K2 LED in the RR is plenty bright. Other small lanterns like the O Dragon are much more exspinsive and are not any brighter.

Candlestine

Newly Enlightened
My spree of flashlight purchaes paid off last night when the power was off the whole night. The wife even asked me if i had seen the future :)

I went back and bought three more of the Colemans Micro lanterns and four of them lit up the whole upstairs. I left all of them on all night and didn't see a drop in output. When it's tottaly dark it works perfect. Though it can't compete with a lumapower M1 standing on it's tail. :) or a Fenix P1D. It was brighter then my four cell D mag though. Silly incandescent.