Cheap Multimeter

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a little Radio Shack DMM for several years and it still works great. It reads voltage almost dead on with my nicer meter.

jorgen

Enlightened
Picked up a Centech on *bay for $6 including postage. It arrived today and is easy to read and is extremely accurate for reading DC volts when I compare it with my old Triplett.
I especially like that itis powered by a 9 volt battery, rather than the hard to find and expensive batteries models I saw in Radio *hack.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure you never use those Harbor Freight/CenTech DMMs on anything but low power battery circuits. They are not safe to use on the mains.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Centech consistently reads .02 on the low side when checking my 18650's. Is there a way to adjust or calibrate it?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I recently relocated and my multimeters are out of state in storage. Any ideas for an inexpensive readily available unit to use on NiMh and Li-Ion cells? Really only need it to accurately measure voltages and not Fluke type accuracy ;).

Fluke or not a multimeter needs to be accurate or what's the point.

I think the main difference between something like Fluke and the less expensive meters is the quality of the test leads and other components that make up the meter.

I have seen the less expensive meter and can't stand them, but then I use a meter often in my line of work.

The test leads maybe ok on the less expensive meters for checking batteries, but they are not the type of leads I want to be holding onto when I'm checking for 240v AC inside a electric cloths dryer. ;)

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I have 4 of the cheapo HF ones, bought when they were on sale for 2 or 3 bucks. I also have a fluke and a couple other dmms, but like to use the cheap ones on some of my high powered EMP/high voltage projects that I dont want to accidentaly fry an expensive meter. Its also nice to have a few for simultaneous redouts of different things.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are missing crucial safety components on the input side that protect you from surges/spikes, and don't have proper clearance/creepage distances between the input jacks and other parts of the meter.

They probably also wont be built to contain a blast inside if they do fail (yes, I said a blast). Look up EEVBlog on youtube and search his videos for information about why cheap multimeters are bad. He does some amusing tests.

The insulation on the probes might not be up to scratch either.

202BIGMIKE

Newly Enlightened
Ok what other brands of multimeters that are also basically cheap , are safer/better than the Harbor Freight/CenTech DMM's ?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have yet to have trouble with anything from Craftsman. I have one of their auto-ranging meters, model 82334 which is quite nice. It normally goes for around $55 but I found one on sale at a store that was closing down.

BTW I have an older version of this unit and it didn't last. It has lots of nifty features and a large, clear display, but the power button is intermittent and the meter occasionally makes a squealing sound.

Last edited:

Milo Fisher

Newly Enlightened
I recently relocated and my multimeters are out of state in storage. Any ideas for an inexpensive readily available unit to use on NiMh and Li-Ion cells? Really only need it to accurately measure voltages and not Fluke type accuracy ;).

I wouldn't worry too much about safety if you aren't going to measure anything other than batteries but I believe that you should buy an instrument rather than a disposable item. My suggestions are either the UNI-T 61E or the Fluke 15b. Both are $60-80 and quite decent multimeters. I have a 15b as a spare as do several of my friends.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a HF DMM to test a 24 Volt Lawnmower battery. The wires instantly drooped(they were melting), and the unit literally caught on fire. I took apart an identical meter(the one that caught on fire was so melted I could not get it apart for a post-mortem examination), I was surprised to find a fuse, that in theory should have blown before the unit bursting into flames. I could not read the rating of the fuse...my advice: use caution even if you are "only" testing batteries..,

bladesmith3

Enlightened
look I have several hf multi meters. they are ok for checking voltage. the amp meters areent even in the ball park for testing amp draw. the leads are junk. I have tested a dozen of them. buy a quality meter. just my 2 cents.

IonicBond

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry too much about safety if you aren't going to measure anything other than batteries but I believe that you should buy an instrument rather than a disposable item.

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't understand the "go cheap" route, when here the last thing that is recommended with batteries is to choose cheap trash. Same with multimeters - and being safe.

The thing about the Flukes aside from accuracy is that they are *designed to fail* ! Gracefully that is. What many don't consider is that even if you don't mind a cheap meter going pop in your hands is the SECONDARY REACTION / knee jerk response. You've got a desk full of lithium based battery projects. Cheap HF meter pops. You jerk and now you scatter and short your project, or even injure yourself with the secondary reaction. Fluke's dont do that.

Or you have absolutely zero problems with small projects because you are safe about it, but then you do a "hand off" to your friends or family that want to use the meter for other things. I'd want to have a fluke fail gracefully when they do something stupid with it.

For what we use them for, if all you are doing is measuring voltages, then a relatively inexpensive Fluke 114 will do. You can trust it out of the box, and not try to hunt down a battery or someone ELSE with a Fluke for calibration! :)

Yes, there are suitable other multimeters out there. Thing is, do you want a bargain crap-fire battery, or a Samsung for your project? In a like manner, why not treat yourself to an instrument, and not just a cheap so-called bargain?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I bought three of the $5,99 Cen-Tech multimeters from Harbor Freight. They were all accurate, but one survived only a few months of occasional use. They are okay if you need it for only very occasional use and can't justify spending more.

I bought a Southwire from Lowe's for a little over $20, and it has done everything I could ask of it. This is my recommendation.