Cheap Tactical/Weapon Light Recommendation + Diff in Cree Emitters serie?

MultipleParadox

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $50.

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

____I want a mounted light
That can be mounted on weapon/picatiny rail

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")

____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)

____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)

____Other, please specify____________________.
Remote tape switch would be good
Will be mounted on an Airsoft rifle/M4 (think paintball if you don't know what Airsoft is)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

____I want a selector ring.

____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode").

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).

a good plus, not mandatory

Last edited:

Mashadaar

Newly Enlightened
Bumping - edited message to use the request "form"

If you want a true tactical flashlight, I would seriously look at the Eden TDL20. While this is not a weapon mounted flashlight, it was designed by a group of police instructors in holland and manufactured by KATO group. They did a study examining the effectiveness of strobe as a tactical strategy and what ranges, frequency, intensity, etc. worked best to that end. There is a great holster you can order for it. The light and holster are on the way to my house as we speak.

Light immediately turns on in strobe, tail button, no other buttons. You can get to constant beam by holding the switch and cycling through the 3 modes. It's 18650 or 2xcr123a. I believe max was 280 lumens (Shown to be more than sufficient for adequate results in study).

It may be able to be strapped to a gun. I might try it in that capacity myself when I get it.

Here is the forum post about it here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356772-Police-Study-of-tactical-use-of-Strobe

It's a very interesting read, regardless!:thumbsup: