cheapo's knife threads (merged)

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Re: looking for knife

thesurefire said:
Dump 440C. Once you go to 'super steels' you cant go back.

Don't count out 440 steel. If properly heat treated (like on the Kershaw Leeks) it can hold an edge quite well and is very corrosion resistant.

The super hard steels aren't everything. They're much harder to sharpen. Granted once you get them there they hold up better but I can put an edge on my 440A leek blade in few minutes. Takes 10 times longer on my D2 steel Microtech Socom Elite.

Regards,

NP

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Re: looking for knife

If you cut fiberous materials like rope on a regular basis, get a combo or serrated edge, if you don't, get a plain edge.

Or do like me, get a knife with a combo edge, and a Leatherman charge Ti which has both a plain edge blade and a serrated blade. and if those are too big... theres always the leatherman micra on my keychain... or one of the SAKs in my edc bag... or...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: found a knife.... serrated or not?

i dont know what i'll be cutting... i just need it for edcing.

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheapo, If I recall correctly your still in school. If you choose to EDC a blade, make SURE you know all the legal implications of where ever you are taking it. Most schools here only allow a 2 inch locking or fixed blade, and a 3.5 inch non locking blade. Any more is considered a deadly weapon, and will result in either prolonged suspension or on the spot expulsion, most of the time on the spot expulsion, unless given extenuating circumstances.

If you don't have a need to EDC a blade just pop a SAK on your key chain. However if your set on buying a knife get a plain edge for general use.

ghostrider

Enlightened

thesurefire said:
Cheapo, If I recall correctly your still in school. If you choose to EDC a blade, make SURE you know all the legal implications of where ever you are taking it. Most schools here only allow a 2 inch locking or fixed blade, and a 3.5 inch non locking blade. Any more is considered a deadly weapon, and will result in either prolonged suspension or on the spot expulsion, most of the time on the spot expulsion, unless given extenuating circumstances.

If you don't have a need to EDC a blade just pop a SAK on your key chain. However if your set on buying a knife get a plain edge for general use.
I carried a SAK when I was in HS. Several of my classmates often borrowed it (mostly for triming inconvienent hangnails). I thought that nowadays most schools wouldn't allow such things on campus with the current "Zero Tolerance" laws/rules.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

yeah... umm, there is no way i will bring a knife to school.... it will definately get me in some serious trouble.

-david

KAM

Newly Enlightened

Get the plain edge, it is easier to sharpen and can do everything the serrated blade can do, the serrated blade can just do some things a little better like cutting fiberous materials

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks..... plainedge it is.... I appreciate all your help.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL... as long as there isnt much of a difference between the vg10 and the s30v, the delica looks good. The one at the store is partially serrated, which is fine, because, unlike the native, it is 50/50..... thanks.

-David

ghostrider

Enlightened

They no longer make the black Delica, so if you want one jump on it. As to the comment about little difference between VG-10 and S30V I don't know. Some people say the VG-10 is easier to sharpen, and some say they prefer S30V. I've also heard people say that VG-10 is hard to sharpen. Don't believe them on that one. The difference is negligable compared to my Kershaw with 440A, and the resultant return on edge retention is much greater than the added work. The Kershaw was also good on edge retention. Better than some AUS8 knives I've used.

I actually have both the Native III (VG-10), and the Native (S30V). I liked the VG-10 so much that I never saw the need to even try the S30V. It sits in a drawer unused and unsharpened for over a year now.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

is the black on the knives paint or finish? Does it come off easily?

-David

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: found a knife

I think the black finish on Spydercos is pretty good compared to others. It will get scratched in time, but probably not fast. They don't use paint AFAIK..

Good choice on the Delica. It is very light and easy to EDC (not like people on these boards have pocket space to spare;) )and the VG10 is amazing!

Sverre

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: found a knife

Ok,
lets get a few things straight.
1. there is NO black plain edge native
2. everyone else seems to be using black teflon. Spydie is using DLC on the Native and I think it's teflon on the Delica - diamond like coating- still scratches- nowhere as easily.
3. Don't mix up the grades of 440- as long as it has a nice heat treat job - read- comes from a decent manufacturer, it'll be fine
a. 440A
b. 440B (rarely used)
c. 440C (was, at one time, the #1 steel for cutlery)
4. The Native III is a lot thicker than the S30V version. Steel, it's a toss up, cant go wrong with either. I'm not a fan of the wire clip on the III, but that's personal pref.
Good luck

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SOG knives?

cheapo said:
how are these knives?

http://www.sogknives.com/flash.htm

they sell them at targer..... is ats-34 any good?

-David

Yes, I have a Flash II and I like it a lot. Smooth but powerful opening action, locks open and closed. So they sell it at Target? I paid $45 for mine online (I think, it's been a while). Pick one up. Worst you'll have to do is get your money back if you don't like it. It's a win/win

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I have a "Field Pup" fixed blade - nice grip, sturdy steel, nice edge for sure!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
how are these knives?

http://www.sogknives.com/flash.htm

they sell them at targer..... is ats-34 any good?

-David
I've got a Flash I and I love it. Small, very light, slim shape, not bulky.

Does it sound like size is important to me? I don't like carrying bulky things in my pocket. The Flash I was my EDC for several months and still is whenever I wear dress pants.

It has a very nice, comfortable, secure feel in your hand for a small knife and the blade is large enough to be practical compared to most small knives. The opening mechanism is an addictive toy.

Mine got pushed aside from EDC for a mini-grip. I don't like the weight and bulk of the mini-grip, but it is such a solid tool and the axis lock is just so awesome, I now EDC it in spite of the weight and bulk.