Chris Reeve Sebenza Review...

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I've wanted to get a fixed blade Strider, but just havent done it. And dont forget, you can send your knife to CR and they will go thru it. There used to be just a modest shipping charge for the service.

cutlerylover

Banned
I've wanted to get a fixed blade Strider, but just havent done it. And dont forget, you can send your knife to CR and they will go thru it. There used to be just a modest shipping charge for the service.

Yeah I figure I have a while yet before I need a tune up...I use this knife, but not much hard use, little cuttign jobs here and there, and I cna sharpen it myself when the time comes, so it could be years before he gets it back to work on it...If he ever does! :grin2:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

I EDC a large regular plain sebenza almost everyday and have for years now. That and my SF A2 are pretty much my constant compainions when I'm away from home.

cy,

SHAME ON YOU for turning your sebbies into safe queens! The very word "Sebenza" means "work". How could you? :(

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks for the review!

I EDC a large regular plain sebenza almost everyday and have for years now. That and my SF A2 are pretty much my constant compainions when I'm away from home.

cy,

SHAME ON YOU for turning your sebbies into safe queens! The very word "Sebenza" means "work". How could you? :(

lol, I am getting better and better everyday, about 5 years ago if I had this knife I might not have even opened it in fear of scratching the hanlde, lol, but sicne my review I have used this knife very hard and am VERY happy with the results...and yes I know it means work, Zulu word, and its a very fitting title for thios knife!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover,

You know I was addressing cy with the whole tongue in cheek "SHAME ON YOU" thing, right?

LOL!

And, yes, it is a fitting title for the Sebenza! It's strange to think of it as a shelf queen, actually. It's also strange to think that there are a whole lot of people who dislike the knife, mostly cause its not pretty enough, I gather. Personal taste, is all, I guess. I love the way the sebbie looks, and I think mine just gets better looking with every new scratch and mark. It looks pleasantly worn and used, which it has been, in point of fact.

But I do avoid really abusing it, even though I'm told it will take it: things like prying and torquing and stuff. I won't do that. Knives are supposed to be used that way in my opinion. If I need to do that I get the right tool for it.

Anyway, thanks again for this review!

cutlerylover

Banned
cutlerylover,

You know I was addressing cy with the whole tongue in cheek "SHAME ON YOU" thing, right?

Anyway, thanks again for this review!

lol, duh, I forgot there is a member CY...I read it fast and thought maybe it was an abreviation for my name CutlerYlover for some reason...hahahaha, sorry...

Anyway no problem guys, glad you liked the review....:)

natius83

Newly Enlightened
great review, I own two sebenza's a large and a small 21, they're fantastic
knives and well worth the money in my opinion

Per-Sev

Enlightened
A Sebenza is a knife that will last most people the rest of there lives. I wish more people set up there pivots like Chris at this time I no longer own one but my EDC has a pivot just like the Sebenza and if he made a karambit I would have bought his. The Sebenza is what all knives should be compared too.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
For anyone considering a Sebenza as a one-handed knife, the clip design, or rather the fact that the clip is up against the lock section of the handle, can cause trouble opening one-handed if you grip the clip tightly.
Took me a while to figure out why I had trouble opening it sometimes and no problem at other times. I no longer have the Sebenza but would highly recommend still.
I also agree with the OP that although I found it no problem getting used to, I would have preferred a less pointy thumb stud.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point of clarification, Chris Reeve invented this lock type. The correct name is the Reeve Integral Lock, but most everybody just calls them framelocks these days.

Lock: This knife has what Chris calls an Integral Lock, to me it is a framelock, I do not know if there is any difference?