Cleaning Reflectors?

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Re: Reflector cleaning HELP!

Problem solved! I had a shower so my skin was soft adn used my little finger and some soap to gently wipe the reflector. I then used CIF bathroom and shower cleaner and sprayed that into it and gently washed that in. rinsed it under a very fine, clean flow of water and working circular around the reflector to the bottom. the clean flow of water collected the droplets as it went and meant i had a clean dry reflector. it was a little damp in areas so I put it back in the light with the cap over the top but loose so no dust got in and water vapour got out

paddyred

Newly Enlightened
Also I should have read the item description on E-bay for the can of cleaner. "Cleans and Protects" should have been a hint that there was other chemical nasties in there that where going to mess up my reflector!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never used it on a flashlight reflector, but i had to clean interferometer mirrors (Gold on Silicon), and found that a bath using hot isopropanol, then rinsing with clean (deionized) water and then drying using dry nitrogen worked pretty well. Although its an effort I would not do for something that costs less than $100...

If it's good enough for interferometer mirrors, then it's good enough for you flashlight reflector! (how much does that setup cost?)

So many inentive methods in here, I can't believe it. I just thought I'd use my optics cleaning kit and some distilled water or alcohol if I ever had that problem. Now I know enough not to try too many things ar anything at all unless it couldn't be worse.

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
I'm only using the p6 type drop-ins at the moment so it's well under a £10 er for a new unit but I always keep a couple of empty drop-ins from FastTeck or DX at about $2-3 apiece for whatever LED type I've got, just swapping to a new reflector when needed but I haven't seen a dirty enough one yet. Cheap insurance for cheap drop-ins, I do realize that the more expensive modules are a different matter.

BVH

Flashaholic
From a commercial and well known searchlight company maintenance and troubleshooting manual, paraphrased. Use distilled or de-ionized water in a squeeze bottle to remove particulates. Then use Isopropol Alcohol or glass cleaner and a surgical cotton pad to clean reflector. Dry with a soft cloth. Keep in mind, this is for use on a soft Rhodium plated, nickel substrated, stainless steel, 10-inch reflector. The first part sounds like good advice but the second part does not, to me.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Hey guys, thanks for bringing this topic up out of the past. Recently I had a D26 reflector get a spit off a duster can and could not figure how to get it clean. After reading this thread and the link I decided to use the hot water and soap method in a shaker bottle. Worked like a charm. Maybe not 100% but enough to impress me and keep me from tossing the reflector into the garbage pile. A good 10 minutes in a hot soapy solution of dawn dishwashing liquid did what I didn't think could be done. Thanks! John

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
OMG, I was such a idiot! I wiped my Maglite reflector with multiple cloths! Guess I'll order a new one from Malkoff, plus I think my nails scratched it when I was cutting the end off. Wish I knew this earlier. Thanks guys, otherwise I'd just keep wiping and wiping and wondering why it keeps getting worse...

fyrstormer

Banned
The least abrasive thing you can clean your reflector with is your fingertip, covered in soapy water. There's a reason people who wash expensive cars for a living use sheets of leather chamois to dry the car after washing it. Skin never scrapes. Just make sure to trim the corners of your fingernails before washing a reflector.

Also, a faucet-mounted water filter is very handy for rinsing the soap off reflectors.