• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CLOSED: KL4 neutral white MC-E modding service (8 available this run)

big beam

Enlightened
Re: FS: KL4 neutral white MC-E modding service (8 available this run)

Got my light back today.Thanks for the fast turn around.This light is about 50% BRIGHTER that my L4 X bin. the hot spot is a little floodier than the x bin but a lot brighter.If any of you guys have a green tinted L4 ( and I know I've had a few) do this mod you won't be sorry.Even though the driver is the same it doesn't seem to get as hot as before.Great job.
DON

I received my KL4 today also.
Fantastic job. The 4B MC-E has a very incandescent tint. Slightly yellow, with no pink. :grin2:
Thank you for your expert craftsmanship and fast turn around.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

MSax, Daloosh - what I thought was going to be a couple of days has already stretched into more. I had to have my machinist take a little more material off the reflectors because he forgot to widen the pockets on yours, and then he added a delay to work on a hot job (he is a sub-contractor that makes parts for cryocoolers). Anyway, I am doing what I can to finish them up. Thanks for your patience.

LouRoy - yours will probably be done along with the other two, but I am giving them precedence since I have had theirs longer.

Big Beam & Not So Bright - Thank you for the feedback. I am rewarded to hear that you are satisfied. :D

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

MSax, Daloosh - what I thought was going to be a couple of days has already stretched into more. I had to have my machinist take a little more material off the reflectors because he forgot to widen the pockets on yours, and then he added a delay to work on a hot job (he is a sub-contractor that makes parts for cryocoolers). Anyway, I am doing what I can to finish them up. Thanks for your patience.

No problem! Thanks for the update!!

MSax

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

I'm with MSax, no worries, thanks for the update!
daloosh

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used my KL4 4B MC-E last weekend on my Cub Scout weekend. I really like the tint quite a bit. The output and beam characteristics are excellent. LOTS of wonderful, warm spill light with moderate throw. Approx. 320 lumens OTF. using the Integrating Tube at work. I thought my KL4 was as good as it could get. Mudman and his 4B MC-E mod made it MUCH better. Thanks, CJ!!!:thanks:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: I just got the milled reflectors back from my machinist, and one of them (MSax's) was damaged when it came loose during machining. Edit: Though the bottom of the reflector sustained visible damage, it has not rendered it worthless after all.

So, I will be sending MSax my KL4 with 5A MC-E to serve as a replacement. My KL4 is in excellent shape and I think MSax will not be dissapointed with it. I am also closing sales for these because if this were to happen again I would have no choice but to buy a new KL4 to work with, and then I would be losing money. Edit: I tried the reflector and the damage does not affect the beam quality. I will just keep the damaged one for myself and I know that the difference is really only cosmetic - still, if I were MSax I would rather have one that looked good and could be resold easily in the future so that is the way I want to proceed if he agrees.

Those of you waiting for your lights will still get them and you can expect nothing less than total satisfaction or I will make it right.

Last edited:

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mudman,

Got your PM and read this post. Don't worry about it at all, no big deal. Its all part of making lights better and experimenting. Even Wernher von Braun made mistakes in his research and development of rockets.:nana:

I do feel bad that your offering up your personal KL4 as a replacement. I may have an idea for an alternate arrangement. Please check your PMs.

Again, no big deal and thanks for the very kind offer.

Thanks,
MSax

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Got a package from the mailman yesteday!

Thanks mudman, you did a great job on my KL4. The beam is a bright and warm tint, and totally blows away my "good" stock KL4.

I'm glad I sent my "backup" greenie KL4 to you!

cheers,
daloosh

Last edited:

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine yesterday too.

To compare it to the old KL4 is almost an insult to this light. It totally blows it away. The tint on this emitter is probably the best I've ever seen in a LED. Combine that with Mudman's excellent workmanship, you can expect nothing but complete satisfaction.

I'm totally thrilled with the light and could be more happy.

Thanks so much for offering to do this mod. :grin2:

MSax

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm totally thrilled with the light and could be more happy.

I know what you meant. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys! :wave: I thought perhaps I waxed too long about the quality of the light produced by this light, but in the end it really is one of those things you have to experience to fully appreciate. The pleasing and ample flood of the neutral white MC-E in the KL4 is a thing of beauty inside and outdoors IMHO.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up one of these beauties and all I can say is wow! This is what a KL4 was ment to be!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I use mine all the time. It sits in the drawer right next to my "good" stock KL4, and I reach for it first every time. Thanks again mudman cj!
daloosh

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words. I am glad these lights are still enjoyable for you to use in this fast-paced hobby of easy come easy go.

If I recall correctly, the key to focusing the MC-E was to use a copper spacer of about 0.70" thickness to raise the LED higher on the heatsink. The back of the reflector was milled out a little deeper to be sure of clearance, about 0.075" IIRC. I found that a difference of as little as 0.005" in the emitter height had a noticeable effect on the beam.