Cloud Defensive MCH multi mode?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody out there have one of the Cloud Defensive MCHs with the multi mode driver, and if so do you like it? How's the mode spacing and usefulness of the levels? Does it have mode memory or always start in the first mode?

Thanks!

boo5ted

Enlightened
I've got the original Micro EDC, new MCH EDC Dual fuel and the Duty.

The Micro is dual mode, non programmable. Output is 10%, 100%, no memory.
The MCH EDC Dual Fuel and Duty are basically the same light except for the head on the Duty is "Duty rated".
Both Dual Fuel lights are programmed to mode 4 (Very Low (5%), Medium (30%), High (100%))

The temp of the Micro is what I'd say to be 4k and the other two is more 5k-5700k.
Kinda bummed because I was thinking it was the same warm tint just programmable. Looks like Cloud is using the same led as the Duty now.

I will say the cooler temp of the Duty and EDC DF isn't harsh outdoors but indoors or at work the warm tint of the EDC just can't be beat. Really wish the EDC DF used the same warmer led as the EDC and the low was more like 1% or 2% vs 5%. Oh well, maybe I can wish that for the 3.0

The Micro will stay the daily light, the Duty will be my truck/bag light and the EDC DF full size might be re-homed.

Attachments

• 20230901_215047.jpg
    20230901_215047.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230901_215057.jpg
    20230901_215057.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230901_215354~2.jpg
    20230901_215354~2.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230901_213120~2.jpg
    20230901_213120~2.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20230901_213241~2.jpg
    20230901_213241~2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230901_213259~2.jpg
    20230901_213259~2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have the MCH duel fuel model, I have the mode set to High low, it works pretty nicely.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input and pictures folks. Been thinking about picking up an MCH duty.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Thanks for the input and pictures folks. Been thinking about picking up an MCH duty.

No problem, I will say there is not much difference between the EDC and Duty in output, visually anyway. The head on the Duty is a good bit bigger and not as easy to carry as the EDC (for me anyway). Unless you need the rugged head of the Duty and plan use it as club or weapon, I'd save a few bucks and get the EDC.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, I will say there is not much difference between the EDC and Duty in output, visually anyway. The head on the Duty is a good bit bigger and not as easy to carry as the EDC (for me anyway). Unless you need the rugged head of the Duty and plan use it as club or weapon, I'd save a few bucks and get the EDC.
I've gone back and forth a bit between the duty and edc. Honestly I'm a little surprised the duty doesn't have more throw than it does, given the larger reflector. My reasons for leaning towards the duty are that I won't ever be pocket carrying it so size doesn't make much of a difference, I like steel bezels for drop resistance, it comes in blue anodizing which seems more fun than dark colors, and if I get a blemished one it would be cheaper than the EDC, which doesn't have blem version in stock right now.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Anybody out there have one of the Cloud Defensive MCHs with the multi mode driver, and if so do you like it? How's the mode spacing and usefulness of the levels? Does it have mode memory or always start in the first mode?

Thanks!
Had ordered 2 when they first came out.

Absolutely hated them both.

1) I tried taking the tail cap off of one and ended up breaking the O-ring. Apparently it's a known issue due to how the light was built, so there is a video tutorial from CD themselves "teaching" people how to properly remove the tailcap... *eye roll*.

2) The lights had many rings around the spill of the light, not that I am a white wall hunter, but it was VERY noticeable.

3) The tint of the light was very blue, did not like that one bit.

4) The output is 100% embellished. There are numerous studies and tests found online that were done and found that CD's stated output/candela come absolutely nowhere close in reality.

5) The entire flashlight would get SUPER SUPER hot, to the point that I could barely hold it without fear of actually getting burned when turned on in high mode.

6) Finally, the "step-down". -- I would see the light with my naked eye, start dropping output drastically within 1 minute and 30 seconds of me turning the light on with a fresh battery loaded in. It's beyond ridiculous. I'd put it on in a dark room and I'm not joking, within 2-3 minutes without fail the amount of output seemed to cut in half.

7) Build quality feels cheap.

Overall, didn't like anything about the CD lights and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The company is also pretty hypocritical, considering they are all about "MERICA", and the "2A" ect.ect.ect... MEANWHILE they are making lights IN CHINA, and calling it the chicro... Like come on. Beyond strange. Overall I'd say they are trash. Get yourself something else.

Modlite is better than CD in my experience. But I'd say malkoff is the goat and nothing can really compare when it comes down to it.

Had ordered 2 when they first came out.

Absolutely hated them both.

1) I tried taking the tail cap off of one and ended up breaking the O-ring. Apparently it's a known issue due to how the light was built, so there is a video tutorial from CD themselves "teaching" people how to properly remove the tailcap... *eye roll*.

2) The lights had many rings around the spill of the light, not that I am a white wall hunter, but it was VERY noticeable.

3) The tint of the light was very blue, did not like that one bit.

4) The output is 100% embellished. There are numerous studies and tests found online that were done and found that CD's stated output/candela come absolutely nowhere close in reality.

5) The entire flashlight would get SUPER SUPER hot, to the point that I could barely hold it without fear of actually getting burned when turned on in high mode.

6) Finally, the "step-down". -- I would see the light with my naked eye, start dropping output drastically within 1 minute and 30 seconds of me turning the light on with a fresh battery loaded in. It's beyond ridiculous. I'd put it on in a dark room and I'm not joking, within 2-3 minutes without fail the amount of output seemed to cut in half.

7) Build quality feels cheap.

Overall, didn't like anything about the CD lights and it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The company is also pretty hypocritical, considering they are all about "MERICA", and the "2A" ect.ect.ect... MEANWHILE they are making lights IN CHINA, and calling it the chicro... Like come on. Beyond strange. Overall I'd say they are trash. Get yourself something else.

Modlite is better than CD in my experience. But I'd say malkoff is the goat and nothing can really compare when it comes down to it.
The answer is always: Malkoff

To chime in on what you brought up, I had a similar experience with the drop in output, but the beam and tint seemed just fine with the EDC-D and programmable HC versions I had. So maybe the later iterations had improved. The problem I had was the use of proprietary parts and everything threadlocked in the tail so nothing was user serviceable.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appreciate the input folks. I've held off on buying one for now.

I was aware of the "ambitious" nature of their output claims and ok with it, but other issues seem troubling.

I do already have quite a few Malkoffs and love them, but they don't really make anything that directly competes with this for my uses. Neither does Modlite for that matter, since they stick with only single mode.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I also love malkoff, but they really need to get rid of that "on time" memory, that is super annoying not knowing what mode it will turn on in.

They have plenty of options that you wouldn't have that issue with.

Example being his Hi/Lo ring.

You can get a light, for instance the M61 HOT with the Hi/Lo ring installed. When the head is turned all the way tight the light will always come on in HIGH. When the head of the light is turned ever so slightly the other way, the light will only come on in LOW mode.
So you have a high/low and depending on how you keep the light staged, that how the light will come on.

These are my favorite types of light setups due to the fact that you can never accidently change the output while using the light, or have the light come on in a different output then you wanted. You have to be super deliberate with your actions to make the output change.

Sure you only have 2 outputs like this, but from my experience the low mode has me covered for most of my daily tasks anyway... The off chance that I need a TON of light for whatever reason, I can simply rotate the head ever so slightly, and BAM high mode...

Lately my newest and most favorite light I own now is the Hound Dog 18650 head with the 21700 body. This thing is a BEAST... The low is more than enough for just about any of my needs... The high is amazing will light up in entire building with ease.

The selling point with malkoff is really the regulated output... He doesn't over-state the output like modlite and CD both do...
He is honest and transparent when stated output. But the output he states is in deed the actual output that your getting. With modlite and CD you have no clue because they blatantly lie about it. Also whats nice with 99% of malkoffs is that due to the regulation being so good... You won't have any major drop in output... When you turn the light on, the output you see is the output you'll be getting for quite some time.
Not 2 minutes like the CD's...

Just food for thought! But I'd say when it comes right down to it... Malkoff is very very hard to beat for anyones lighting needs.
Keep in mind this is being said by a guy who owns about $2,000 worth of modlite stuff...

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate the input folks. I've held off on buying one for now.

I was aware of the "ambitious" nature of their output claims and ok with it, but other issues seem troubling.

I do already have quite a few Malkoffs and love them, but they don't really make anything that directly competes with this for my uses. Neither does Modlite for that matter, since they stick with only single mode.
Could go with the M61 HOT.

Only thing is, its not much of a thrower. I think its around 10-12k CD or so?

But has Hi/Lo mode. Also, roughly 800 lumens? -- Easily lights up anything short and medium range. If it's for indoor use it's more than enough... Will light up the interior very easily.

If you need a thrower for outdoor use with a lot of ambient light, then might not be the best option however!

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
I thought I was done buying flashlights this year . . . spent more than I should of since September on a couple of Malkoffs and a really inexpensive ACEBEAM. That said Cloud has Orange and Red MCH HC and a Blue MCH EDC for around $124 +tax out the door. I have an orange MCH HC heading my way in the new year now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anything purchased from Cloud Defense.... Be sure to use a credit card that bends over backwards for its customers. When things go perfectly well, you're good. One tiny issue with your order? Watch how quickly the guys over at C.D. bend you over and fork you. Found that out the hard way, years ago. Thankfully I used American Express, and was able to successfully do a credit card charge-back. Haven't bought from C.D., nor its scumbag owners since then.

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
Could go with the M61 HOT.

Only thing is, its not much of a thrower. I think its around 10-12k CD or so?

But has Hi/Lo mode. Also, roughly 800 lumens? -- Easily lights up anything short and medium range. If it's for indoor use it's more than enough... Will light up the interior very easily.

If you need a thrower for outdoor use with a lot of ambient light, then might not be the best option however!
That's funny as the light I am waiting on and was to be by last purchase is the M61 HOT with a couple of the Keeppower 18650s