CMG Ultra

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have an ARC AAA and an Infinity Ultra, both on lanyards for neck carry (keeps 'em away from all the scratchy stuff in my pockets!)

I find myself carrying the ARC more, as it is a bit lighter and a lot smaller.

The Ultra does put out an immpressive amount of light for the size it is! In fact I think it will go around my neck tomorrow, since it's going to get colder here! (Has a Lith in it!)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by RonM:
Adding a lens would add to the size, weight and cost, and IMHO make the light less useful.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">--

My understanding was that the LED housing itself acts like a focussing lens -
it certainly appears to be that way on my yellow Photon LEDs with their relatively narrow beams.

doubleganger

Enlightened
I found the ultra to be pretty unfocused but with dark adapted eyes it's more than bright enough to navigate by. Just for fun I used heat shrink tubeing to attach a 3/4 inch acrylic ball to mine. That gives it a bright very even spot of about 15 inches at about four feet. I appreciate the brighter, more focused light when, for example, I'm looking for something in our unlighted storage shed with non dark adapted eyes. I haven't tried walking a dark path with it yet and I may possibly want to remove the ball after I try that.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
The Ultra does put out an immpressive amount of light for the size it is! In fact I think it will go around my neck tomorrow, since it's going to get colder here! (Has a Lith in it!)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joe,
If it gets cold enough here that the light hanging around your neck needs a lithium battery, I'm moving SOUTH!!! :>) TX

alberto

Enlightened
The Infinity Ultra has more of a flood effect, a little broader than the Arc AAA although just as bright, that I have found to be a little more useful for illumination of dark paths at night, as long as you only want to see a few feet in front of you.

In my opinion, both the Ultra and Arc AAA are "task" lights for close-up work illumination, but also serve well in close-in night walking scenarios.

If you want to see more than a few feet in front of you, this would require a light with at least 2AA or 2-CR123 size.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Infinity and Ultra are designed and marketed as task lights. Geez!

I have used both regular and Ultra outside, with residential light pollution. The Ultra lights things up very well.

It will be a long time till a LED can light up the rear sphincter of a flea at 1,000 meters.
rolleyes.gif