Cold Heat Soldering Tool?

bexteck

Enlightened
I heard a while back that it does heat up and cool down quickly as claimed, but does not provide enough heat for much except soldering very small parts. Never played with one myself though, so I don't know for sure

Wilsonite

Newly Enlightened
That is an accurate assessment. it does infact cool down fast, eats AA's quick, and doesn't develop enough heat for soldering on components that are connected to a large ground plane (heatsink) it is good for small jobs, and to keep on hand as an emergency unit, but I think you would be better served by a butane cordless unit.

YMMV

Wilson

sld

Newly Enlightened
It's an interesting resistance soldering tool. I had OK results using it to fix leads on audio cna data connectors. Not enough power for anything much larger and a bit much for small printed circuit work.

As for a gas powered iron, I have a Weller Pryo-pen Jr that I like. I just this past summer replaced my original, about 15 year old one with a new one. The original one developed a leak and Weller would repair it but I found one on sale for about $20 more than the repair cost. It has a variable heat control and there is a selection of tips available including the "hot air" tips.

Steve

Wilsonite

Newly Enlightened
Trashman, ya shouldn't have said that... I am so on the fence with the 4 cell one that I have I really want to see what the 5 cell is like...

Was there any price diff? I think I gave $25 for my original.

grr... something about that wallet thing....

:cool:

Wilson

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, this is a pretty good tool if you recognize it's limits. I've used mine several times to solder auto speaker wires and auto accessory wires, as well as small jobs where there was only one or two solder connections.

I had them done by the time I could have run a cord and waited for a regular iron to heat up. This convenience is worth way more than the $17.99 I paid for it.

If it's to be your only soldering tool or you're going to be doing a lot of soldering, it's probably not the right tool for you.

geek

Newly Enlightened
> I've used mine several times to solder auto speaker wires and auto accessory wires, as well as small jobs where there was only one or two solder connections.

Crazy. I tried mine out for the first time this past Sunday doing exactly that. I had two pair of 14 gauge wires that needed to be bonded. The first solder connection took me about a minute; though it was clumsy, the speed and convenience was great. I fooled with the second connection for ten minutes or so before tossing the Cold Heat device and using a butane torch to finish the job. I found it really frustrating and disappointing.

(For reference, I've fifteen years or so of soldering experience.)

paulr

Flashaholic
I used to have a Wahl Isotip rechargeable cordless iron (nicad powered) that was great for small soldering tasks. The Cold Heat tool is sort of the same idea but uses these weird tips that require sending current through the thing you're soldering. I like the Wahl one better. I'm a bit pissed because I want to rat shack to get a soldering iron and was actually about ready to buy their temperature controlled station but the guy there gave me a hard sell for the Cold Heat unit. It got my immediate task done but I'm not impressed with it.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilsonite said:
Trashman, ya shouldn't have said that... I am so on the fence with the 4 cell one that I have I really want to see what the 5 cell is like...

Was there any price diff? I think I gave $25 for my original.

grr... something about that wallet thing....

:cool:

Wilson

Yes, there was a difference in price. I think the 4 cell was $19.99, and the 5 cell was $29.99. (possibly $24.99, but I think $29.99)

Brlux

Enlightened
I agree that these are an interesting concept for a soldering Iron, But definantly not the first or only soldering iron someons should have. The weak point of these units is the tip. I have 2 of them with broken tips and replacement tips costs about the same as buying a new one. I have used mine for several tasks where I did not want to run a cord or cary a battery and inverter pack with me. I have used it to repair broken wires on flashlights while camping. In theory I think NIMh cells would work much beter in these units but I havent got around to trying it and then you would have the self discharge from siting on the shelf.

bkkd

Newly Enlightened
you also got to remember that the cold heat iron induces current into the part to be soldered, and that may not be a good thing for small sensitive electronic equipment, i for one would not solder a i.c. chip with it......

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother got one for me for Christmas.

Haven't really given it a good test, but it does seem to work on small stuff. Gets hot FAST.
I tend to swap guitar pickups regularly, so I think it will do well for that.

Bob