Coleman Quad Lantern

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the update on this Lantern??? Does anybody currently have it instock and available for purchase right now? .. I've got a camping trip planned for the weekend of the 16th and 17th and would like to have it by then if possible (Still showing out of stock until the 15th on Coleman's site :( )

Thanks,
Rick

I called not too long ago, and the lady at Coleman said that Bassproshops carry it. If you don't have one of those nearby you're going to have to play the waiting game (as I am) until the 15th of May.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Went on Coleman's site today to order the lantern,.. and there's no "Add To Cart" option now, or anything that says anything about out of stock until 5/15 either ????

:confused:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe there may be some confusion going on here. There is a "Coleman Quad" LED lantern, with four panels that pop out, and there is a "Coleman Twin" LED lantern with four LEDs in two tubes. This thread has wandered off the original lantern/topic into the "Twin" lantern.

The original poster of this thread, luminiferous, posted a link to the *Quad* lantern, with the removal panels. Ostensibly, that is the topic of the thread. However, the topic wandered (I am in part guilty of this) to the newer version of the "Twin" lantern, with two tubes and four LEDs. That lantern has its own separate thread now. There are two versions of this lantern: one with two LEDs, one in each tube, which is in stock and available for purchase with posted price, and the *newer* version with four LEDs, which is not in stock and does not have a price posted.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

camperator5

Newly Enlightened
The ads for the Coleman Quad Lantern look appealing but for general area lighting outside I'm not sure that this lantern fits the bill. I saw a video review of the lantern being used at night. It seems to illuminate only about 1 to 2 feat around the person using it. It didn't seem to do a great job at dispersing light around it at all. The video is at http://camping-lanterns.net/lantern_videos.htmlTake a look.

History Nut

Newly Enlightened
I have both the LED Quad lantern and the 4D XPS LED Duo lantern.

Both are great! I did have a problem with the first LED Quad I got. Two of the four LED panels began to 'lose' LEDs. That is the LEDs wouldn't light. A few lit but were much weaker than the others. When installed on the base and working off four new
"D"s, they would all light. I contacted Coleman and it was exchanged without any hassle. The replacement has worked just fine.

The 4D XPS LED Duo hasn't given any problems at all. I picked up the rechargable pack for it. The XPS pack has been a little disappointing as far as duration. Since I have the regular battery pack, I don't see that as a major problem.

I hope this information is useful.

Rexlion

Enlightened
My brother just gave me a Coleman Duo lantern for Christmas. It takes away the biggest complaint I had about lanterns: the 360 degree lighting tends to put glare back into the user's face in so many circumstances. This Duo lantern's two panels will let me detach one panel and use either one panel at a time, or both panels, pointed away from me. No more light in my face, woohoo!

I really like the fact that the panels are powered by common, user-replaceable AAA NiMH cells, so the lantern won't go on the junk heap when those cells get decrepit. The AAAs recharge automatically from the four Ds when the panel is reattached to the base. Weight with 4 D cells is 4.2 lbs, but each panel weighs a mere 15 ounces and has a nice flip-out stand for rear support.

The only thing I miss is a dimmer or low mode. My old ($12 cheapo "Innovage") lantern had a dimmer switch, but it probably only put out 20 or 30 lumens on high, so this Duo is a nice improvement nevertheless. I guess if I need less than 60 lumens, I'm probably going to be better off with a flashlight on low mode anyhow... like my SC51W or my Maratac AAA.