Collectable pens?

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
A fine pen is a very personal thing. While folks may shout-out names and colors of pens - remember that a pen is basicly a piece of jewelry. Tastes for various styles and colors vary widely among people - a recommendation from anyone else doesn't really apply IMO. One person's "Buy this pen - you'll love it!" is another person's "Yaaaaawwwwnnn......."

Owning quite a few pens I can tell you that I find 95% of all pen catalog models to be pens that I wouldn't be caught dead with. I suggest that you try to get some feel for her taste. Try accidnetally droping by a pen store with her and listen to her comments. A pen that you would like is not necessarily one that she would like. Listen to her comments on color and see what shapes she leans towards.

Make sure that any pen you buy is returnable without a big restocking fee (buying from a local pen store is recommended). That way she can exchange it if it isn't her cup of tea.

P.S. - I'd encourage you to avoid brands that are in so many pockets/purses that they say "Look - I have one too!" every time it comes out.

Good luck!

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Malpaso said:
Thanks for all your quick responses.

I started leaning towrd the Mont Blanc line, as it had immediate name recognintion for me. The first hurdle I came to was that nobody quotes prices on the internet. I called one of the dealers that was recommended here, and they only had one model that was under $200. However, I did find a great price (and hopefully a great deal) on a discontinuted model (Generation 13420) on ebay. Hopefully I made the right choice.

One potential problem I just thought of. A pen box looks quite like a jewelry box. I hope I haven't set myself up here ;)

Mont Blancs are nice. I have a set of the LeGrand (fountain, roller, ballpoint). I also have, oh, maybe 20 other fountain pens plus assorted rollerballs and ballpoints. I would say that with Mont Blanc you are paying a LOT for the name. I think they are quite overpriced. I wouldnt consider getting a Mont Blanc over Pelika, DuPont, Waterman, Namiki and Parker. And Mont Blanc is more expensive than all of them but Dupont.

You didnt say if you wanted a fountain pen or some other mode. Here is an interesting option:

http://www.joon.com/display_collection.php?id=95&brandid=17

It is a fuschia colored (it is for her not you ;) ) Dupont ballpen on sale for 40% off at Joon. It looks nice in the pictures. Marked down from $205 to like $134. I have a Dupont fountain pen, although I dont have a ballpen. It is by far by best quality pen, think Dupont = Surefire or HDS and Mont Blanc = Nuwai. Yea, I have a QIII and its nice, but it isnt an A2 or a U60 XRGT ;)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
That MB is a GREAT starter pen. She'll probably get oohs and ahhs when she proudly shows if off.

In a perfect world, if she even half likes it you'll be able to get her more pens of more decerning nature. Now THAT would be a boon because it could start a little tradition and it narrows down the gift buying stress as she hints on things she likes about her new hobby. Like I said, it would be a perfect world eheheh :)

I agree with the great advice Lmtfi posted and would use it for the next pen if it goes that way.
Lmtfi said:
A fine pen is a very personal thing. While folks may shout-out names and colors of pens - remember that a pen is basicly a piece of jewelry. Tastes for various styles and colors vary widely among people - a recommendation from anyone else doesn't really apply IMO. One person's "Buy this pen - you'll love it!" is another person's "Yaaaaawwwwnnn......."

Owning quite a few pens I can tell you that I find 95% of all pen catalog models to be pens that I wouldn't be caught dead with. I suggest that you try to get some feel for her taste. Try accidnetally droping by a pen store with her and listen to her comments. A pen that you would like is not necessarily one that she would like. Listen to her comments on color and see what shapes she leans towards.

Make sure that any pen you buy is returnable without a big restocking fee (buying from a local pen store is recommended). That way she can exchange it if it isn't her cup of tea.

P.S. - I'd encourage you to avoid brands that are in so many pockets/purses that they say "Look - I have one too!" every time it comes out.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a bought here and there the past couple years. Quick shipping and good prices. Swisher Pens:
http://www.swisherpens.com/

Wife has one of David's roller ball models and enjoys writing with it. David Broadwell:
http://www.david.broadwell.com/pens.htm

Sooo many nice writing instruments. For any So Cal pen lovers, the annual International Pen Show is in town in Manhatten Beach Feb 19.
http://www.billspens.com/billsshows/losangeles/losangeles.htm

MANY good deals to be found, open to the public only on Sunday. The other days have special entrance fees and auctions. If you are a pen nut, the admission may be worth it to find that limited/rare pen.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Girls love Tiffanys jewlery. I bought my g/f a Tiffanys pen for Christmas and she likes it more than I thought she would. It's sterling silver and I got it it engraved to when I bought it. They're in the $100-$200.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Well this isn't working out very well. As I had mentioned, I wanted to get the pen for Valentine's Day. I bought and paid for it on 1/31 on ebay, but hadn't heard anything from the seller, even though I had sent numerous messages and emails. Finally, today I got an email saying "there was a strike in Germany". So, he's selling things he doesn't have, and it takes two weeks to tell me that. Obviously, I won't have it for tomorrow. I hope flowers and dinner make up for it. I'm quite pi$$ed at this point.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry to hear of this. It is almost absurd how many people are making money on Ebay these days using drop shipping. Anything I need on time or that is expensive, I always contact the seller, and ask if "it" is in stock, or drop shipped.

Anyone who contact a manufacturer and work out a volume deal with drop shipping can make some serious cash, but usually at the risk of dissatisfied customers.

rrh

Newly Enlightened
fountainpenhospital.com will quote prices and offers good prices off retail. a parker sonnet might be a nice choice, as well.

The20cenaddict

Newly Enlightened
Hi Y'all,

I've got a really old fountain pen made by Remington. A dealer told me it was the only one they ever made. He tried VERY hard to get it... for up to $300. I figured it must be worth more so I still have it. That was about 20 years ago.

Who knows?
Listen, I saw this post from 2006. I don't know if you are still around. Anyway, I have a bunch of minor brand fountain pens that I restore. I am trying to find a market for them. I am in the Los Angeles Ca. area. I exhibit at the annual Pen Show in Manhattan Beach. I have Remingtons, and lots of off the wall names, none of which are worth anywhere near $300. Mine are from $15 to $35 each, and each is ready to go. 1920's to 1950's. If you have an email address, I could send some images. Let me know. Thanks. David
reply to "[email protected]"
S

LDB

Newly Enlightened
Mont Blanc pens are injection molded plastic. There's a seam somewhere in there that's polished over and invisible but there. They are fragile and they are extremely overpriced pens that Madison Avenue did a great job promoting. For a similar amount of money for a modern pen a Parker Duofold is a far better choice made of a solid casting of acrylic. For far less money an Esterbrook is a cool older pen that has nostalgia and history and uniqueness.

stoli67

Enlightened
Strange as it may seem I have been collecting both flashlights and fountain pens for more than 20 years....

Would love to get over to the New york or LA pens shows from Australia one day...

I generally collect old Pelikans , Parker Vacumatics and old Mont Blancs..

Customs nibs can be ordered for most from Richard Binder www.richardspens.com

or at www.nibs.com!

Today I am EDCing my Toledo

http://www.nibs.com/Pelikan1931Toledo.htm

I doubt that there are many of us that collect both!! I strange combination perhaps

Andrew

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say I collect fountain pens, but I do use a green EF Pelikan 120 for note taking.

-Mayo

stoli67

Enlightened
Pelikans are know as great pens for a reason!

Possibly Pelikans are the RA Clicky of the pen world....... bomb proof!

Andrew

CLHC

Flashaholic
Whoa, it's been five (5) years since I posted in here. Just curious about the outcome of the pen situation for Malpaso.

Anyways, here's a pair of FPs that I collected, but don't know if they're truly collectibles!

Niblet.jpg

Latest posts