Color rendition beamshots: incan, GD, Rebel, Nichia 083, Seoul high CRI, and Cree 5A

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!

By the way, would the land 'Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees' happen to be Minnesota? I noticed the Wild Thing M&M souvenir, and thought it might be from the Valleyfair in Shokopee :D

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be interesting to take a series of comparative shots with different light sources but keep the source of each shot secret and see what everyone thinks is best, then reveal the sources. The secrecy would serve to remove confirmation bias.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be interesting to take a series of comparative shots with different light sources but keep the source of each shot secret and see what everyone thinks is best, then reveal the sources. The secrecy would serve to remove confirmation bias.
When I get some time I am going to do something like this as I have a ton of different LEDs and tints. Cree WC, WG, WH, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6C, 7A, 8AorB, SSC P4 High CRI and a few other SSC tints that I can't remember right now, Nichia 083, Luxeon Rebel, Golden Dragon, and a few other Luxeons and generic LEDs.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get some time I am going to do something like this as I have a ton of different LEDs and tints. Cree WC, WG, WH, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6C, 7A, 8AorB, SSC P4 High CRI and a few other SSC tints that I can't remember right now, Nichia 083, Luxeon Rebel, Golden Dragon, and a few other Luxeons and generic LEDs.

Any chance of also squeezing an incan in?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I bet it's either Nebraska or Iowa.

And you would win with one of those answers. - it's Iowa.

saabluster - Someone could certainly do a better job than I have. It sounds like you have a very nice selection of LEDs to use. I hope you have a camera with more configuration options than mine. I am unable to create custom locked white balance settings for example and I also have little control over the exposure in order to get photos that illuminate the subject equally. I also wanted to include some outdoor beamshots, but they never turned out good enough to include. I really wanted to try to show the difference when illuminating things in nature, and I hoped to portray the differences in depth perception that exist in my personal experience, but that is probably too much to hope for. There is only so much you can get from an arrangement of colored pixels on a computer screen.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of also squeezing an incan in?
Absolutely. It really wouldn't be worth doing otherwise.

I hope you have a camera with more configuration options than mine. I am unable to create custom locked white balance settings for example and I also have little control over the exposure in order to get photos that illuminate the subject equally. I also wanted to include some outdoor beamshots, but they never turned out good enough to include. I really wanted to try to show the difference when illuminating things in nature, and I hoped to portray the differences in depth perception that exist in my personal experience, but that is probably too much to hope for. There is only so much you can get from an arrangement of colored pixels on a computer screen.

I have a decent camera and can lock the white balance. I will make it a very thorough set of pictures with the white balance set multiple ways and in multiple settings.

Norm

Retired Administrator
When I bought my Jet III M with a Cree 5A it was the first LED light I was truly happy with, since putting a 5A in a Sgt. Burkett I think I have found my perfect EDC. I will be gett more 5As for other lights.
Thanks for all the hard working setting up and taking all those pictures.
Norm

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a unique case for high CRI values. I've been deploying my own LED fixtures in a very busy night-club - Not only for colored accent lighting, but increasingly for utility lighting around the bar so staff can see what they are doing while still keeping things aethestically dark.

One problem I recently found with neutral white Luxeons was that while their out-put intensity was fine, their rather low CRI made it difficult to tell draft beer brands apart in the serving window. The neutral white Luxeons have a big problem being able to tell warm colors apart, which you can see here. This caused confusion on busy nights and some rather, uh, unpleasant drama with my wait staff. Lite beers are an especially difficult problem because their subtle amber colors are so similiar, unlike lets say Guiness -vs- Blue Moon (yummy!).

I switched to warm-white Cree P4's, and while it didn't have the astronomical improvement such as using the uber_high CRI emitters here (they are simply too awkward to obtain to make it worth it for me*), it was enough to fix the problem over the Luxeons.

Now we need beer companies to sponsor high CRI LEDs, and life is good :)

*Edit: I believe these are the Seoul high CRI chips on Mouser. They cross reference to having a CRI of 93 on the Zled site, and are available in both 4000k and 3000k temps. Good to know.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=2093270+4294762567+4294719703+4294719953+4294628959

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just scrolled through this thread again to see if I thanked mudman, and seeing as I did not:

Thank you for an awesome, visually informative thread!

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
:hitit:
I have seen that a Swedish company called Optoga has a wide range of LED modules called Optodrive that according to the company has CRI 95!
http://www.optodrive.se/pressrelease2.pab

Both Ledsmagazine and Ledinside has written about it, but does any one know if this is true? And if so, how come they have so good CRI/Ra values?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...the result gives a CRI 95 with flux levels that match the best "low" CRI products. The compact Optodrive modules open up completely new opportunities for exciting and functional design solutions with energy efficiency up to 80lm/W."

How does 80lm/W compare to current Cree stuff? How does it compare in efficiency to the high-CRI SSC P4?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hitit:
I have seen that a Swedish company called Optoga has a wide range of LED modules called Optodrive that according to the company has CRI 95!
http://www.optodrive.se/pressrelease2.pab

Both Ledsmagazine and Ledinside has written about it, but does any one know if this is true? And if so, how come they have so good CRI/Ra values?
Well they say in the article how they get the high CRI.

" Recently the development of better phosphors has improved LED performance and in the latest tests, the result gives a CRI 95 with flux levels that match the best "low" CRI products."

As I have pointed out before that last bit showcases how companies like to lie just a little bit to make their product sound better or more novel than it really is. It's interesting that they don't date their "press releases".

taschenlampe

Enlightened
... " Recently the development of better phosphors has improved LED performance and in the latest tests, the result gives a CRI 95 with flux levels that match the best "low" CRI products." ...

I wonder where these "high flux + high CRI" SSC LED's are?

Has anybody seen one up till now?

tl

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Well they say in the article how they get the high CRI.

" Recently the development of better phosphors has improved LED performance and in the latest tests, the result gives a CRI 95 with flux levels that match the best "low" CRI products."

As I have pointed out before that last bit showcases how companies like to lie just a little bit to make their product sound better or more novel than it really is. It's interesting that they don't date their "press releases".

So, do you think that this mean that Optoga has upgraded the phosphor on their Optodrive LED modules? Or, does it mean that they have come over some special top bin selections from SSC?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, do you think that this mean that Optoga has upgraded the phosphor on their Optodrive LED modules? Or, does it mean that they have come over some special top bin selections from SSC?
I don't know. The "press release" is very unclear to me and I don't care to know more about them to be honest. Sorry. Try them out and report back for everyone's benefit.:shrug: