Colour Cree XB-D

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if anybody saw it yet, as it isn't on the home page for Cree.... the XB-D colour information and datasheet is up at cree.com.

I've got a few samples of the red...WOW... all I got to say at this point. Still testing.

so I assume the red is much better/brighter/powerful than the XP-E red?

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
so I assume the red is much better/brighter/powerful than the XP-E red?

The performance is similar to an XP-E as can be seen in the datasheet. The incredible thing (and I say this every time I light one up) is the lumen density. The LED is so small yet produces some crazy light.

I'll bet all the remote phosphor guys are going to love the royal blue version. Now...come on amber.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The performance is similar to an XP-E as can be seen in the datasheet. The incredible thing (and I say this every time I light one up) is the lumen density. The LED is so small yet produces some crazy light.

I'll bet all the remote phosphor guys are going to love the royal blue version. Now...come on amber.

gotcha, thanks! :)

what uses do the amber LEDs see??

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emergency Vehicle Lighting. I design for a company. Also, could be used in turtle safe streetlights as the amber wavelength deters them for some reason.

haha i totally forgot about the emergency vehicles. I was racking my brain trying to figure out and overlooked something so simply as EMS vehicle lighting haha.

i had no idea about turtles, though, that's really cool!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget traffic lights and cars. They too use amber lights (although I'm not sure about the wavelength requirement for traffic lights)

Also, ditto about the turtles; didn't know that, cool! I guess that's why the TMNTs lived in the sewers: to avoid the sodium lamps

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
A year went by, can you post any further information about the Cree color LEDs?

I'm particularly looking for info on the amber ones -- those are likely for "turtle safe"lighting, but also avoid some human health issues that white LEDs compromise. So far the amber haven't been nearly as inexpensive to operate so the financial pressure is strong on cities to remove the current amber sodium lights and replace them with the blue-white LEDs. But there are health issues for people getting a lot of attention, e.g. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0067798

SemiMan

Banned
Not much to say. Cree does not make their own AlInGaAp die for red/amber. Its Epistar die. They may just buy better bins.

Semiman

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found the ambers available (at "kiwilighting" of all places). Amber is used for "turtle safe" because they don't see that color and because they hatch out on the Florida beaches at moonrise and head toward the brightest bluest light they can see. Which ought to be the moon (moonlight is "sky blue" color). When CFLs and LEDs in "white" lights started to be used along the coast, the baby turtles headed toward them and died.

It's not just turtles -- people and algae and much else also use that same blue light sensitivity biologically -- to reset the body wake-up clock.

That's why "no blue" or "low blue" lights are used so much lately to treat insomnia.

Works for me and many of my friends. I make amber flashlights a lot. Very excited to find these XB-Ds available on 8mm, 10mm, 12mm boards along with the larger sizes.

Latest posts