Columbia River A.G. Russell Sting

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A.G. Russell Sting was a knife I came close to buying many times over the years, but for some reason I never actually bought one. I handled a Sting in a knife store once and I liked the feel of it.

Now Columbia River is producing a less expensive version: http://www.rei.com/product/752186?cm_sp=prod*desc_rel_item*element

Anyone ever own one of the originals?

Anyone own the CR version?

The compactness and simplicity of this knife has great appeal for me.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my dad an original bright polished Sting for Christmas when I was a kid. Paid $40 for it straight from the AG Russell catalog. It is probably the loveliest fixed blade I've handled. The entire knife rings like a tuning fork if you flick it with a fingernail.

I haven't seen the new version (it's made in Taiwan) but I doubt it comes with that nice, flat leather sheath the original came with!

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my dad an original bright polished Sting for Christmas when I was a kid. Paid $40 for it straight from the AG Russell catalog. It is probably the loveliest fixed blade I've handled. The entire knife rings like a tuning fork if you flick it with a fingernail.

I haven't seen the new version (it's made in Taiwan) but I doubt it comes with that nice, flat leather sheath the original came with!

No it doesn't it comes with a plastic and nylon sheath. I wish it came with a nice leather sheath. I'm thinking about getting a custom sheath made for my Columbia River A.G. Russell Sting.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it doesn't it comes with a plastic and nylon sheath. I wish it came with a nice leather sheath. I'm thinking about getting a custom sheath made for my Columbia River A.G. Russell Sting.

I've had several custom leather sheaths made here:
http://www.vessleatherworks.com/index_page.html

Vadim's the guy that does all the work, he's reasonably priced and very speedy. And his work is awesome.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I have the original, and carry it daily.

Remember it is a last ditch oh S*** knife. Its not for cutting cheese, its not for opening mail, its for saving your life when nothing else will do,

I had the edges of my sting's handle grit blasted to get some texture, as the only time I used it, I nearly had to leave it behind because my hand could barely get enough traction to get it back out. But it worked, The new one is a club compared to the elegance of the original.

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
Idve liked the original but Im pleased with the CRKT version. Ive modded the awful sheath, though, stripped off the cordura & cut away excess plastic with a Stanley knife. I used the terrible straps to hold stuff onto velcro panels inside my Maxped bags.
NewStingSheath.jpg

Paladin

Enlightened
Here's a pair of the original Stings, one polished chrome with rosewood handle, the other black teflon coated. Both came with cordura sheaths and plastic belt clips. Guess I should have sold them before the cheap copies drove the price down.

A word to the wise, a 3 inch double edged blade is classed an an illegal knife in many jurisdictions. Here in Texas I can carry a loaded asshalt rifle or shotgun, but not these knives. Go figure.

Paladin
Captured_2006-2-27_00003.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your bottom knife might be a Sting II. Very nice knife and pretty valuable. Made in Solingen in 1977 only if I remember.

Edit - I think I'm wrong. The Sting II had a lanyard hole.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pair of the original Stings, one polished chrome with rosewood handle, the other black teflon coated. Both came with cordura sheaths and plastic belt clips. Guess I should have sold them before the cheap copies drove the price down.
A word to the wise, a 3 inch double edged blade is classed an an illegal knife in many jurisdictions. Here in Texas I can carry a loaded assault rifle or shotgun, but not these knives. Go figure.
Paladin

I've seen very high prices for the original Stings on ebay. IIRC I heard somewhere (maybe on one of the knife forums) that the reason A.G. Russell allowed Columbia River Knife and Tool to remake the Sting is he had a huge amount of requests to start having the Sting made again and no other company would make it to Russell's high standards

Last edited:

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
I think the Sting with handle scales on was the original Sting, I actually prefer the more basic version which I think was the Sting 1A.
I got the belt clip off a cheap n cheerful bootknife (United?) sheath & its actually just epoxied on. I actually replaced this clip with a plastic one that was epoxied AND screwed on with tiny screws (but I havent taken any new pics, yet)