Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

desmobob

Enlightened
Is deoxit gold still a thing?

It is for me for contact cleaning/maintenance and trying to rejuvenate battery compartment springs and contacts that have been damaged by leaking alkaline batteries in older electronic devices.

I keep an aerosol can of Deoxit Silver and tubes of Deoxit Silver and Deoxit Gold in my tool box.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some LUBRI FILM , and noticed there is one called LUBRI FILM PLUS.
what is the difference there then ? , or is it the same maybe ?

danstheman

Newly Enlightened
Just to double check, both Nyogel and Super-Lube are NOT silicone based, correct? And thus should not cause swelling or decay to silicone based O-rings? I ask because I was informed by the owner of Sofirn that his O-rings are silicone based. Thanks in advance

I -think- regular Superlube grease is silicone-based. I used some once many years ago with red O-rings and ruined them. YMMV. My guess is that their silicone O-ring product is not silicone.

Nyogel 760G is not silicone. The Ford version is usually cheaper and easier to get.

Then again, reading the Superlube O-ring lube page, it seems to say that it is silicone for silicone O-rings, which makes no sense to me. Maybe it's not the silicone but some other ingredient that ruins silicone rings.

Regular SuperLube synthetic grease is NOT Silicone based. In the Technical Data Sheet (linked here, and attached) it states 'There is no Silicone in Super Lube® Multi-Purpose Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE)'.

There is also a compatibility chart (also linked and attached) which indicates that the compatibility is 'Excellent' with Nitrile (aka Buna-N) and Neoprene, but only 'Good' with silicone. So perhaps there is an ingredient which is less than ideal for silicone, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Note that Super Lube makes multiple types of grease, including a silicone grease (which of course is NOT compatible with silicone). But their synthetic grease, which is their most common / standard product, is not silicone based.

Attachments

• Technical_Data_Sheet_Multi_Purpose_Grease.pdf
    252.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease with Syncolon (PTFE).pdf
    390.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Super Lube Silicone O-Ring Grease.pdf
    389.4 KB · Views: 141

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to comment and this is not a joke or a lie or a deterrent or anything to sway anyone in any way. I have been using Vaseline and petroleum jelly on an old rayovac light for about 9 years straight just because of this thread. There has been absolutely no degradation to the oring on that light or any surrounding material. I would like to say that the "Vaseline/petroleum jelly as a lube will ruin your light" is debunked. For me anyway. Use at your own risk, there's a reason I only use it on the cheapest light I own haha.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just want to comment and this is not a joke or a lie or a deterrent or anything to sway anyone in any way. I have been using Vaseline and petroleum jelly on an old rayovac light for about 9 years straight just because of this thread. There has been absolutely no degradation to the oring on that light or any surrounding material. I would like to say that the "Vaseline/petroleum jelly as a lube will ruin your light" is debunked. For me anyway. Use at your own risk, there's a reason I only use it on the cheapest light I own haha.

That's funny to read after all these posts.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't use Vaseline/petroleum jelly on my flashlights for one reason--it's flammable. I know it is very little, still, I don't think a flammable product like that should be smeared on an electrical circuit. Yes, I know plastic wire insulation is flammable, but this is a bit different. Anyway, we are all free to use whatever we want as a lube, spit included. I use the Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Compound with Syncolon (PTFE) Made in the USA.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
EDIT:
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Any experience with the Nitecore SG7? Cannot find much about the content of it, other than it being "silicone grease".

I purchased one a week ago, but haven't tried it yet as I recently lubed up my lights with NyoGel 760G.
I also get the sense the SG7 is rather overpriced.

Last edited:

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
NO-OX-ID A-Special- Electrical Contact Grease 7 bucks from Amazon for a lifetime supply for my flashlights.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Lubricants with PTFE tends to get very sticky after a couple of days, no good for torch O-rings in my opinion… Silicone or contact greases are best I reckon.