Conexxion... so whats the deal?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with this light but not exactly UNhappy either. Isn't nearly as bright as my Incendio (didn't think I'd notice that much difference - though I'd been warned) and my beam is very noticably off center (something I don't usually pay much attention to).

I'm not upset I bought it because its still a decent light but guess I had too much expectation for it.

Tomorrow night will be a good test for it. I'm going on a 7 mile night hike and will be taking my Tiablo A1 (doesn't look that much dimmer than the Conexion when out in the woods by the way - brightness wise), the Tiablo A8, the Incendio, an older 160 lumen Lumahunter M1, and the Amondo N30.

I'll drop back in Sunday with opinions.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone's done some judicious runtime rounding (read: pulled the figures out of their arse) for high mode on alkaline..,.. 5 minutes less than on NiMH and 15 minutes less than on an e2 lithium... lol

e0603

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Lite_me and gunga, that clears things up! I was so focused on comprehending the memory mode I didn't even notice that the modes went high-med-low. :ohgeez:I'm going to have to think some more about this light. If the memory mode was tweaked (why not set the memory the moment mode X is displayed?) or removed (and it went low-med-high), I think I'd buy one right now. Right now I'm concerned about innocently using momentary in low for < 2 seconds and then blinding myself on high a few minutes later because I accidentally switched modes. After doing that once or twice though I think I'd learn my lesson. :)

So I think the moral to the story is that as long as you always use the light for > 2 seconds at a time it's pretty good! The forward clicky isn't much of a selling point on this particular light, but if you forget about momentary use, it still has a lot going for it. For my purposes I think the closest competitor would be the Jet-1 MK II IBS. Between the two, brightness is very close on NiMH, the levels on the ConneXion are already where I'd like them, and I don't need strobe and SOS on this particular light. Might as well put the cost difference towards other things I need from Battery Junction. I think I've almost convinced myself.

One last question: does the ConneXion use PWM for its low modes, and if so any idea what the frequency is? Is it at all noticeable in normal use?

Thanks again guys, and gunga I'll keep an eye out for your review!

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
The Jet 1 Mk IBS is pretty much a 14500 only light with generally short runtime, but capable of blinding light. Nimh performance is bad in this light. The Connexion has very good runtime and works well with Nimh. I don't notice any strobe effect when I move my hand in front of the light on low beam. I really like the WD tint on this light. Even on low it gives decent color rendition compared to most other lights I have. Smooth lines and no snag pocket clip make it great for pocket carry.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One last question: does the ConneXion use PWM for its low modes, and if so any idea what the frequency is? Is it at all noticeable in normal use?

In my dark bedroom I have pointed my Connexion at minimum level to the revolving ceiling fan and could not notice any any strobe effect.
I have also tried with a Fenix L0D and the effect is there allright.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Ok, went on a night hike tonight and have made a bit more of an opinion of this light.

Its not quite as bright as I'd like it to be. That being said, the long runtime (even on high with Sanyo 2700s) and the large spill with smooth hotspot makes for an excellent trail light.

I guess overall I really have no reason to complain about the light and probably just expect too much of it. It did get quite warm in the hand. I took to carrying it like a cigar and the air moving over it as I walked (kept a fairly consistant average of 2.4 mph says the GPS) kept it at a moderately warm temp.

The Incendio was noticeably brighter while in the woods if the trail was opened up a ways but not so much if the trees were in tight and the view down the trail wasn't as far.

I did learn that beavers either don't like the conexion and try to chase it away or are intrigued by it and follow it around to see what it is. LoL

Thats about all I've got at the moment. Got to go rest. I loaded my pack heavy to help me get ready for some of my longer hikes this summer. Shoulders are killing me

Later all.

Any questions about the light in this method of use, fire away and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Chris